Player Discussion Tuukka Rask VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
Rask is a good goalie, until the big moments. I also think he would do better in another market. He and the Bruins need a change of scenery.

Reactions: bme44 and fin8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes was suspiciously missed by 90% of the board. I like Tuukka but he’s proven himself to be mediocre the past few seasons.

It would be worth reviving. IIRC, there were a couple issues with the analytics used in the article as is common with analytic based things. The bottom line here, though, is if Halak was as good or better than Tuuka- whatever we think Tuuka's level is- he would not be a low cost backup goalie at this point in his career.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I’ve had less and less than confidence in Rask as time goes on and his age isn’t his friend at this point

I still believe he can perform at an elite level, and will have stretches where he will be amazing. But he has never consistently done it. 2013 playoffs was the closest. But he always does this thing where he looks superhuman and then looks super mediocre

Idk what it is, but it’s starting to look like it’s not worth 7+ mill on the cap

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I’ve had less and less than confidence in Rask as time goes on and his age isn’t his friend at this point

I still believe he can perform at an elite level, and will have stretches where he will be amazing. But he has never consistently done it. 2013 playoffs was the closest. But he always does this thing where he looks superhuman and then looks super mediocre

Idk what it is, but it’s starting to look like it’s not worth 7+ mill on the cap
so...he's a goalie?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It would be worth reviving. IIRC, there were a couple issues with the analytics used in the article as is common with analytic based things. The bottom line here, though, is if Halak was as good or better than Tuuka- whatever we think Tuuka's level is- he would not be a low cost backup goalie at this point in his career.

I don’t think Halak is in the same zip code as Rask.

Also there aren’t many goalies I take over Rask. While I think Rask isn’t what he used to be and at times doesn’t make that early save we need I still think we can win with him. He can be elite again.

Reactions: Dr Hook

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Very good post. Sums up my feelings as well.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yes was suspiciously missed by 90% of the board. I like Tuukka but he’s proven himself to be mediocre the past few seasons.

This is where I am at. I wanna feel confident with Rask in nets but I'm just don't. It's a gut feeling that has proven itself true way to many times IMO. While Rask has shown he can play at an elite level at times, he also as shown he can be very mediocre at others. In my heart of hearts, I just don't think you can win it all with Tuukka. I would love for him to prove me wrong and if he does I will gladly come to get my heaping helping of crow.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Rask is a good goalie, until the big moments. I also think he would do better in another market. He and the Bruins need a change of scenery.
Finally someone agrees I feel so relaxed with Halak in net. Wish he was 23 yrs old but hey Timmy went till 40 and won it. Maybe we have Halak for 7 yrs. You just never know. Rask can be sent with goaltending problems and I smell trouble in Calgary.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
LMAO! Looks like it has already started after less than one game, against the defending champs who have put up 13 goals in two games and whose own team played almost no defense in front of him while he was in for that less than one game. No goalie on the planet would have won that game the way the Bs defense (and offense for that matter) played. The backup plays one good game against f***ing Buffalo and all of a sudden the stupidity around here starts.

Let's ignore the fact Rask was 2nd in the entire NHL in GAA last season for goalies playing more than 50 games, ahead of those slouches Quick, Bobrovsky, and a host of others. Let's also ignore the fact this team got put out of the playoffs last season because it lived and died with one line and had difficulty scoring. It won't matter who starts this season if the Bs cannot get secondary scoring come playoff time.

Having said that, I am glad Halak is on the team. He is a great choice for backup goalie, and hopefully gets a lot of starts to keep Tuukka fresh. The Bs do not have issues at goalie. In fact they are very sound at that position. There are much bigger things to worry about with this club than goalie.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
LMAO! Looks like it has already started after less than one game, against the defending champs who have put up 13 goals in two games and whose own team played almost no defense in front of him while he was in for that less than one game. No goalie on the planet would have won that game the way the Bs defense (and offense for that matter) played. The backup plays one good game against ****ing Buffalo and all of a sudden the stupidity around here starts.

Let's ignore the fact Rask was 2nd in the entire NHL in GAA last season for goalies playing more than 50 games, ahead of those slouches Quick, Bobrovsky, and a host of others. Let's also ignore the fact this team got put out of the playoffs last season because it lived and died with one line and had difficulty scoring. It won't matter who starts this season if the Bs cannot get secondary scoring come playoff time.

Having said that, I am glad Halak is on the team. He is a great choice for backup goalie, and hopefully gets a lot of starts to keep Tuukka fresh. The Bs do not have issues at goalie. In fact they are very sound at that position. There are much bigger things to worry about with this club than goalie.
One things for sure our goaltending and d will get is in the playoffs our forwards are weak. 3rd line especially.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
LMAO! Looks like it has already started after less than one game, against the defending champs who have put up 13 goals in two games and whose own team played almost no defense in front of him while he was in for that less than one game. No goalie on the planet would have won that game the way the Bs defense (and offense for that matter) played. The backup plays one good game against ****ing Buffalo and all of a sudden the stupidity around here starts.

Yes, and let's completely ignore an in depth analysis that discovers that with all things considered, Rask is below average and falling.

Reactions: fin8

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
We don't need to trade Rask. He is a very good goalie and two games are definitely not enough to say Halak is an adequate starter.

However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't trade Rask if it means improving the team. He is 31 and right now may be the best time to trade him if we are ever going to. If we can get a solid return for Rask it could be worth making that trade. In other words, the idea of trading Rask should be on the table.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Rask should definitely be on the table, as should every player not named Pastrnak who will be the only elite player in his prime by the time the Bruins may contend again for the cup. All prospects are replaceable as well.

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
The Bruins are serious contenders now. If they aren't contenders then Washington wasn't a contender last season. But if you think there is still something missing before they have a real chance, then a Rask trade + Halak being great in the playoffs might be that difference.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The only thing you smell is the scent of your fizzled out agenda
What's wrong with sending a goalie who has high value now and getting something substantial plus cap savings so we can get a mega forward. Id be on the horn calling Calgary and get a 1 st round pick and Sam Bennett . Don't know how the cap thing it would work maybe we have to take someone on like Smith more likely. I'm fine with that.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
To all the people saying we can't win with Rask because he is inconsistent and allows weak goals, what did you think of Tim Thomas? Thomas was know to let in soft goals and was wildly inconsistent at times in his career, but he managed to win a Cup riding an incredible hot streak and with a really healthy team in 2011. I think people forget that Rask took the starter job from Thomas in 2010 and even started the 2011 as the starter. Thomas had to prove he could be the #1 goalie again. I remember Thomas had a lot of the same struggles Rask is dealing with now, but Rask is younger and is having to deal with new equipment standards almost yearly now. Lastly this team is still not even close to the 2011 team that won it all (aging Chara, Krejci and a ton of youth that hasn't hit their potential yet).

Now I don't think Rask is untouchable, but unless you are going to be upgrading the team while not decimating the goalie position, I say you keep him and hope that he can get hot. If he starts to cool down, hopefully Halak can get on one of his hot streak until Rask is back on top. The reason we have Halak is to have to very good capable goalies, let get our moneys worth out of these two and hope it pays off with another Cup.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I still remember the nightmare when rask let in 2 softies in game 6 against Chicago . He has brain cramps when the game means the most. Maybe he can't handle the pressure? Not sure. He has all the talent in the world. I think it's psychological with him.

Reactions: TCB and fin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad