Player Discussion Tuukka Rask VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don't have the energy to do it, but I'm sure it would be fascinating (and probably enlightening) to go back through some of those old Thomas vs. Rask threads and see how those "Rask guys" back then are treating him now. Are they still defending him? Or are they just guys who get enamored with the shiny new (Halak) toy? Would certainly be interesting. I was a Thomas supporter/defender back then, and a Rask defender now, I think mostly because both guys took/take far too much unwarranted heat. maybe that's why I'm a Krejci guy too.

Reactions: TD Charlie

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I don't have the energy to do it, but I'm sure it would be fascinating (and probably enlightening) to go back through some of those old Thomas vs. Rask threads and see how those "Rask guys" back then are treating him now. Are they still defending him? Or are they just guys who get enamored with the shiny new (Halak) toy? Would certainly be interesting. I was a Thomas supporter/defender back then, and a Rask defender now, I think mostly because both guys took/take far too much unwarranted heat. maybe that's why I'm a Krejci guy too.

Maybe some guys receive criticism because they are making $7m (more than all but one of our players) and have been inconsistent with uncomfortable amount of times of under-performing.

There doesn't need to be a "shiny new toy", there doesn't need to be some made up vendetta some people think people have or anything. Sometimes players simply under-perform and are inconsistent and play very poorly against certain rivals (Habs) and that gets negative attention. This whole "hater" label is the most cringey thing on this site.

Krejci gets criticized plenty too. As he should when he makes $7.25m. Acciari gets criticized too (by myself included) because despite what he makes, his good games are few and far between. Obviously Backes is another one too. Rask isn't alone, nor is he immune for some reason I still don't understand.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Maybe some guys receive criticism because they are making $7m (more than all but one of our players) and have been inconsistent with uncomfortable amount of times of under-performing.

There doesn't need to be a "shiny new toy", there doesn't need to be some made up vendetta some people think people have or anything. Sometimes players simply under-perform and are inconsistent and play very poorly against certain rivals (Habs) and that gets negative attention. This whole "hater" label is the most cringey thing on this site.

Krejci gets criticized plenty too. As he should when he makes $7.25m. Acciari gets criticized too (by myself included) because despite what he makes, his good games are few and far between. Obviously Backes is another one too. Rask isn't alone, nor is he immune for some reason I still don't understand.
You and my point have obviously passed in the night.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
You and my point have obviously passed in the night.

No, not really. I'm responding to you saying you're a Rask defender and thinking he takes unwarranted heat. I don't see how the heat he takes can be unwarranted. I spent years defending Rask too. I'm not there anymore.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
No, not really. I'm responding to you saying you're a Rask defender and thinking he takes unwarranted heat. I don't see how the heat he takes can be unwarranted. I spent years defending Rask too. I'm not there anymore.
Did you slam Thomas back then and are slamming Rask now? If so, then you fit my post perfectly. And yes, SOME of the grief Rask takes is unwarranted. And I say that as someone who no longer thinks Rask is an elite goalie, but really just an average NHL one.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He's back at practice, for better or for worse. I hope for the better (as I am a fan of the Bruins notwithstanding my feelings about Rask) but I am dubious that will be the case.

Asking Jaro to keep this up with a bigger work load and no proven netminder behind him or as competition is too much.

I am happy to have Rask as a 2nd option for the rest of the season. Unused cap space doesn't help you win. Hes back with the team as the backup who will play a good amount. Works for me. Maybe he'll wear the funny helmet again on the bench in the playoffs lol.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Defending that Vezina and Top 5 all time career Save % must have been tough? :laugh:

He’s not that guy anymore (Vezina), but he’s still pretty good. I’m happy the B’s have two talented goalies. Whichever one is playing better should play...period.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Did you slam Thomas back then and are slamming Rask now? If so, then you fit my post perfectly. And yes, SOME of the grief Rask takes is unwarranted. And I say that as someone who no longer thinks Rask is an elite goalie, but really just an average NHL one.

I tend to criticize players that are making a lot if they are inconsistent and unreliable. But I don't stay on that bandwagon like its a political position. I remember criticizing Thomas for a couple GWGs against in key playoff games that looked soft when they were frustrating losses. At this point with Rask, he has his great stretches, but he has been way too inconsistent and his bad stretches can be bad. You also feel he is really just an average NHL goalie now (I agree). He is still being paid as an elite goalie for the next 2 seasons. His cap still impacts this team as if he is an elite goalie. That cap directly impacts us trading for or signing a top winger for the second line without giving up probably more than we'd like. We also have some really notable RFAs we need to afford. That is why I don't think any grief he gets is truly unwarranted. Krejci is in the same boat with performing.

Defending that Vezina and Top 5 all time career Save % must have been tough? :laugh:

He’s not that guy anymore (Vezina), but he’s still pretty good. I’m happy the B’s have two talented goalies. Whichever one is playing better should play...period.

Those were some good years lol. I'm not sure what has happened over the last couple seasons though.

It's great to have 2 talented goalies for sure. My issue is we are #2 in the league in cap spent on goaltending (behind Montreal... yikes at that one) and our starting goalie is Halak.

Reactions: Hali33

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Tuukka will be our goalie down the stretch and into the playoffs. Halak as been last year's version of Dobby, only better but Tuukka is still our #1.
Let's hope that whatever was the issue is cleared up and he can focus on getting 2 U's 2 Pts

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here's a transcript of his opening statement from the first part of the video, for those of you who don't want Rask's voice booming in your office/on the T:

He at least says his mind's cleared and the "personal/family matters" have been taken care of and are behind him...and I hope that's the case, and I wish him the best on and off the ice.

Glad he's back. Now back to hockey. Even though I've been adamantly pro-Rask, even up to last Thursday, I can accept that we have at least a 1A/1B situation, if not a "theft" of the starting goalie position...for now. From what I've read on the main board, Halak does really well in October/November, but the wheels do have a tendency to come off when he has a bad streak. I'm 100% for "hot hand goalie" now - except for back-to-backs, if you win, you get the next game. And I think that means a lot more Halak.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Happy to see you back Tuukka. I hope all is well and that you were able to take care of the issues you were dealing with. If you need more time I am sure the Bruins will oblige.

If not, let's get back to business bud.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Tuukka will be our goalie down the stretch and into the playoffs. Halak as been last year's version of Dobby, only better but Tuukka is still our #1.
Let's hope that whatever was the issue is cleared up and he can focus on getting 2 U's 2 Pts
With all due respect to Dobby, Halak is a proven starter in this league and miles ahead of anything Dobby has ever done. Halak may have had a couple of down seasons on an a poor Islander team but he has put up some stellar starter numbers in this league and I see no reason why he wouldn't continue to do so. Rask may very well become the starter again but he has to earn it, No one is going to give it to him, certainly not Halak by his play.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
With all due respect to Dobby, Halak is a proven starter in this league and miles ahead of anything Dobby has ever done. Halak may have had a couple of down seasons on an a poor Islander team but he has put up some stellar starter numbers in this league and I see no reason why he wouldn't continue to do so. Rask may very well become the starter again but he has to earn it, No one is going to give it to him, certainly not Halak by his play.

Holy shit, this again?

Rask is this team's #1 goalie, like it or not. Just like he was last and the year before that and the years before that. You talk up Halak's stellar numbers from 7 or 8 years ago, how about you take a look at Rask's numbers over his career, you know since they've been in the league basically the same amount of time.

People need to wake up when it comes to Rask. Good grief.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I just want the Bruins to get good goaltending and don’t really care which goalie provides it . I am not too familiar with Halak’s career but has either goalie ( Halak or Rask ) been in this kind of situation where they just aren’t assumed to be the no. 1 goalie and they have to play well in order to earn a start ? . Did anyone really feel that Khoudobin was a real challenge to supplant Rask? I think this will make for some great internal competition the rest of the way and whoever has the hot hand gets to play game 1 of the playoffs but nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: Strafer

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I just want the Bruins to get good goaltending and don’t really care which goalie provides it . I am not too familiar with Halak’s career but has either goalie ( Halak or Rask ) been in this kind of situation where they just aren’t assumed to be the no. 1 goalie and they have to play well in order to earn a start ? . Did anyone really feel that Khoudobin was a real challenge to supplant Rask? I think this will make for some great internal competition the rest of the way and whoever has the hot hand gets to play game 1 of the playoffs but nothing is guaranteed.

Rask will start game 1 of the playoff or the Bruins won't be in them.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->