Mar 8, 2011
Keeps spreading the love.

This guy doesn’t get enough!

Reactions: Skelen

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Can we say that Tuukka stole the game tonight? Could have easily been a tie by the end of the third. Outstanding performance! Where are all the Tuukka haters?!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Very strong game from Tuukka tonight. Maybe his best of the series. It was great to see and hopefully it's a sign of him raising his game to another level because we'll need that against CLB and Bobrovsky.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Tuukka was unbelievable last night. They had no business coming out of the second period with the lead. If the goalies were swapped Toronto easily could have. He absolutely stole that game. Certain fans (and writers) should acknowledge his performance last night after all the criticism (almost wholly unwarranted) they've dished out - won't be holding my breath though.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Credit to him, Game 7 and he showed up and was the best player on the ice. One of the strongest performances I can remember from him in years. His play went in the right direction during the series and would love to see that continue.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's been said so many times yet it happens constantly.

Without Rask for the 1st 40 they wouldn't be playing this season anymore no doubt.

Wasn't it Halak that was hot in the first 40?

Oh, you mean the first 40 minutes last night.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
he stole both games 6 and 7, and should've stolen game 5 if they showed an ounce of life

Bruins outshot Toronto 40-24 in Game 6. How does Rask steal that game?

Stealing a game is what Marty Jones did in Game 6 against Vegas. Team outshot 59-29, wins 2-1 in double OT.

And yes, I know he sucked all year. But that's an example of stealing a game for your team.

Reactions: fin8

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
‘He was our best player.’ Tuukka Rask saved the Bruins in Game 7 - The Boston Globe

This being Boston, you might get a few volunteers. This being Rask, you might get more than a few. Of all the love-hate relationships the city’s athletes have with their fans, Rask’s might be the loviest-hatiest of them all, fueling sports radio conversations that turn venomous at the mere mention of him, but then have a night like this, when even the most ardent critics have to concede excellence when they see it.

“I hope he’s converted a few,” Cassidy said as he continues coaching his third playoff run with Rask. “I think in sports you have that [love-hate relationship] a lot. I’m a sports fan in other sports and I have it with certain players on teams I root for. For me, the time I’ve known him, he’s been a very competitive man, excellent goaltender, and we saw it tonight. Hopefully it can start, continue to build on his playoff legacy. It’s a big Game 7 win and like I said, I believe he was our best player.

“He made the stops he needed to, and more. I hope fans recognize what he did tonight. I think you have to as a fan acknowledge when a player plays well. I know in this town when you don’t you hear about it, and that’s fine, too. But tonight he played well and hopefully the people get behind him and acknowledge that.”

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston

Serious question - is there a reason I should not interpret this stat as "Tuukka Rask is the 4th best goalie of all time"?

My gut tells me NO but I can't really come up with great reasons... Save % is a better stat than GAA - IMO. I googled the full list and it just doesn't make sense... I saw #1 (Hasek) and said "yep, that makes sense" but Marty Brodeur is #40? Patrick Roy isnt even on page 1? No Richter? I do realize that the spread between #1 (Hasek) and #40 (Brodeur) is exactly .010....

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Serious question - is there a reason I should not interpret this stat as "Tuukka Rask is the 4th best goalie of all time"?

My gut tells me NO but I can't really come up with great reasons... Save % is a better stat than GAA - IMO. I googled the full list and it just doesn't make sense... I saw #1 (Hasek) and said "yep, that makes sense" but Marty Brodeur is #40? Patrick Roy isnt even on page 1? No Richter? I do realize that the spread between #1 (Hasek) and #40 (Brodeur) is exactly .010....

Neither are all the great by themselves.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

In absolute terms it might be a reasonable argument, but athletes are almost always compared to their peers. Hence the "this mediocre modern day player would destroy the league if he had a time machine and went back to the 70s" arguments aren't usually taken very seriously. I'm sure if you zapped Rask back to 80s or 90s, even with smaller equipment his talent and knowledge of modern day goaltending technique would help him to 10 consecutive Vezinas. That said, he doesn't stand out from his peers that much in current era. When Hasek was regularly posting >.920sv% seasons his peers were struggling to get above .900sv%.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
In absolute terms it might be a reasonable argument, but athletes are almost always compared to their peers. Hence the "this mediocre modern day player would destroy the league if he had a time machine and went back to the 70s" arguments aren't usually taken very seriously. I'm sure if you zapped Rask back to 80s or 90s, even with smaller equipment his talent and knowledge of modern day goaltending technique would help him to 10 consecutive Vezinas. That said, he doesn't stand out from his peers that much in current era. When Hasek was regularly posting >.920sv% seasons his peers were struggling to get above .900sv%.
That is the type of context I was looking for. Kind of crazy he is historically good even vs. modern day keepers that are playing with the same rules - Carey Price/Bishop/Quick etc..

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
As much as I'd love to see Rask win a Conn Smythe, I can't even imagine the reaction a Marchand win would generate. The main board would have to shut down for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->