Player Discussion Tuukka Rask VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
starts the season slow, then turns into the best goalie in the league. happens basically every season yet people still panic.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Tuukka - 2.29 - .922 - three shutouts

Halak - 2.29 - .924 - four shutouts

Butch has gotta love this.

I've been a little nervous with 2 undersized guys back on D (Krug & Grzelcyk) but there's no denying how good they've been as a group on the back end (especially the last month or so). It must make things so much easier for our keepers!

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
there are still people who hate tuuka rask and say hes not very good... lets look at his career numbers

did you know there are 4 goalies that have played since 1950 who have at least 350 career games and a goals against average under 2.30? if you named dominek hasak, ken Dryden, and martin Brodeur someone might think you are naming the 3 best goalies in history. the 4th guy? how many guesses do you need before you put tuuka rask there?

don't like goals against average as your measuring stick?
lets look at save %. theres only 4 goalies in history with more than
350 career games and a % better than .920. hasek… Dryden... tim Thomas
and mr rask is in the top 4 for this too

in NHL HISTORY... for and entire career... 485 games... a .922 save percentage and a 2.26 goals against

but sure... hate him if you want... say he cant win
btw 260 wins points in 304 of those 485 games... not too bad :)

maybe he sucks in playoffs?

hmm... save % of .924 goals against of 2.25... seems he gets even better at playoffs

so what is the reason for some of you to hate this guy other than you are just
completely and utterly clueless?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
How short is your leash on Tuukka if he puts up a 5 spot in game 1? Kind of a unique situation for coach. Certainly I think this is going to be one of the key areas of the series. Which Tuukka will we get?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It's unique in that for the Bruins, when was the last time you could honestly think about sitting your #1 if he was really bad (should it go that way)? It's been a long time, I'm struggling to think of the last time this was remotely viable. Well over 8 years? I guess when it was Thomas/Rask, but before that?

Rask has never had a realistic threat to replace him in ages, should he really struggle. We'd just sink with the ship.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
How short is your leash on Tuukka if he puts up a 5 spot in game 1? Kind of a unique situation for coach. Certainly I think this is going to be one of the key areas of the series. Which Tuukka will we get?
if he has a game like today in game 1. we see halak game 2. no doubt.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He won’t play like that, it’s not going to be an exhibition game

But here’s the thing-worst case scenario Halak has been a very good playoff goal tender in his career. As far as playoff save percentage goes him, Tuukka, and Hasek are all within a breath of each other ( right around the top 10)

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
his GAA in his last 10 games is 3.00. In those same 10 games, his sv%:

I count 3 great games and all the rest stinkers. That's not ideal.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
there are still people who hate tuuka rask and say hes not very good... lets look at his career numbers

did you know there are 4 goalies that have played since 1950 who have at least 350 career games and a goals against average under 2.30? if you named dominek hasak, ken Dryden, and martin Brodeur someone might think you are naming the 3 best goalies in history. the 4th guy? how many guesses do you need before you put tuuka rask there?

don't like goals against average as your measuring stick?
lets look at save %. theres only 4 goalies in history with more than
350 career games and a % better than .920. hasek… Dryden... tim Thomas
and mr rask is in the top 4 for this too

in NHL HISTORY... for and entire career... 485 games... a .922 save percentage and a 2.26 goals against

but sure... hate him if you want... say he cant win
btw 260 wins points in 304 of those 485 games... not too bad :)

maybe he sucks in playoffs?

hmm... save % of .924 goals against of 2.25... seems he gets even better at playoffs

so what is the reason for some of you to hate this guy other than you are just
completely and utterly clueless?
Numbers don’t matter unless it’s cups. Love Rask when he is on. When he is not, he is not horrible at stopping pucks, he is horrible at making saves at the right time. Grant Fuhr? What’s his GAA or save percentage? Elite goaltending is timing... when your up or down by a goal does your goalie make the save....in 2011 playoffs Timmah was elite... and we won. Numbers in terms of GAA SV etc mean good. Cups and timingly goaltending mean great. Hope Rask is up for the task this year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bun Cook

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I love it with you Rask haters, when he’s “27th”* in save% he’s pathetic but when he does it in the playoffs and is quite literally 10th ALL TIME it doesn’t count

It’s honestly hilarious to watch the gymnastics at this point. I feel bad for you.

* a smart person would indicate he’s 9th out of goalies that play 45+ games by the way, but I don’t expect anything “smart” to come out a post like that anyway :). Count those one game goalies all you want in the league leaders! Then go paint your face

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
CDJ, I think you're making a bit of a leap here. All I'm saying is in his last 10 games, Rask has been the opposite of sharp. It's an observation, I'm sure the coaches and most of all Rask himself expect better out of him.

But beyond that, it's not hate. This "hater" concept is weird. We're hoping the Rask of the last 10 games isn't the one that shows up for game 1 against a super powerful offence. That's about all there is to it.

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
I love it with you Rask haters, when he’s “27th”* in save% he’s pathetic but when he does it in the playoffs and is quite literally 10th ALL TIME it doesn’t count

It’s honestly hilarious to watch the gymnastics at this point. I feel bad for you.

* a smart person would indicate he’s 9th out of goalies that play 45+ games by the way, but I don’t expect anything “smart” to come out a post like that anyway :). Count those one game goalies all you want in the league leaders! Then go paint your face
LOL Halak has played 40 games (not the magic 45 games, I guess) and has a .922 save percentage. Rask has played 46 games, and has a .912 save percentage.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
CDJ, I think you're making a bit of a leap here. All I'm saying is in his last 10 games, Rask has been the opposite of sharp. It's an observation, I'm sure the coaches and most of all Rask himself expect better out of him.

But beyond that, it's not hate. This "hater" concept is weird. We're hoping the Rask of the last 10 games isn't the one that shows up for game 1 against a super powerful offence. That's about all there is to it.

This X 1,000,000.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

You can't win. The same people will post in a GDT "Suck it haters!! 1!!1" after their binky player breaks a 40 game goal less draught.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
LOL Halak has played 40 games (not the magic 45 games, I guess) and has a .922 save percentage. Rask has played 46 games, and has a .912 save percentage.
When Rask gets hot for 2-3 months like he did last 3 seasons he’s as good as anyone

Signing Halak was excellent but Rask is the guy you go with

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
When Rask gets hot for 2-3 months like he did last 3 seasons he’s as good as anyone

A previous poster wrote that Rask was 9th in save percentage among goalies who have played 45 or more games, as if Halak’s 40 games don’t matter.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

I would say he is the guy you start with.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Simply based in the eyeball test, Rask is a streaky mofo. Early on, he could've been better. As of Jan, he went on a great run (along with the team), and now he seems to have dipped. Hopefully some rest serves him well and he's ready to be tip top Tuukka come Thursday. If he can channel his 2013 form vs Pitt, that would be swell :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad