Value of: Turris to the islanders

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think I disagree with the core premise here, which runs something along the lines of 'the Islanders need a second-line center, so I'm interested in trading for Nashville's second-line center. Surely they don't need one, I guess?'

The Islanders are entering a rebuild, and really don't need a solid second-line center right now. For their part, the Predators are one of the three or four top teams in the league. They badly need two good scoring centers, and even if they are not quite at the optimal 1a/1b level, Johansen and Turris form that nucleus.

If Nashville were to deal Turris, who slots in at #2 center for Nashville's Cup campaign in 2019? Nick Bonino?

A rebuilding team doesn't need to trade for a contender's #2 center. A contender can't afford to deal its #2 center unless someone is pushing a center out the door, or they are receiving a better center in return. That's not happening in Nashville, where they frankly could use even more scoring from the center position, and not so soon after paying a hefty price to get Turris in the first place.

I agree with the poster above, in that the only way a Turris trade to NYI would make sense for Nashville is if a better center (Barzal) were coming back. That is obviously a player the NYI are building around and would never trade. That's where Nashville's interest evaporates.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Just because they refuse to call it a rebuild doesn't mean they aren't looking at this as a multi-year initiative to lay a foundation. Drafting, developing what they have, and acceptance that their playoff appearance chances ended when the captain walked is part of the near-term future. A few years out, they could be a quality playoff club again. Right now, they're going to get crushed under a Metro logjam.

This question has little to do with the key takeaway of the post, anyway, which is that Nashville doesn't have scoring centers available in trade. From a Nashville point of view, the Islanders' perception of their contending status is immaterial.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Barzal
Nelson
Filppula

Not the strongest center wise, they could try to play bailey at center since he played center early in his career if they need help. Also you guys do have Bellows but not much behind that. I could see a trade happening for a 2c but probably not from a cup contender.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Anthony Beauvilier plus something? I know Nashville is in win now mode, and I'm a fan of Turris, but last year didnt show for much success, maybe they are not a good match. If a team came up with an offer of a player, albeit less good but younger, I would consider it.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Anthony Beauvilier plus something? I know Nashville is in win now mode, and I'm a fan of Turris, but last year didnt show for much success, maybe they are not a good match. If a team came up with an offer of a player, albeit less good but younger, I would consider it.
I thought that was the impression of turris, that it just wasn’t a good fit

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
isles need a second line center and currently have no one with that type of potential in the prospect pool so what would it cost to get turris on the isles

Isles have unsuccessfully kicked the tires on ROR and Duchene. Gonna guess they would have no more interest in paying a high price for Turris then they had in paying a high price for ROR or Duchene.

Isles will likely get their #2C in the 2019 draft.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Isles have unsuccessfully kicked the tires on ROR and Duchene. Gonna guess they would have no more interest in paying a high price for Turris then they had in paying a high price for ROR or Duchene.

Isles will likely get their #2C in the 2019 draft.
Yeah, if I'm the Islanders I just hope for one of Hugues, Newhook, Cozens, Turcotte...

Hugues to them would be great. Fans deserve this after seeing Tavares leave. And Hugues-Barzal would be one hell of a 1-2 punch.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
The only time this deal could have been made would have been in a sign and trade for Tavares

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yeah, if I'm the Islanders I just hope for one of Hugues, Newhook, Cozens, Turcotte...

Hugues to them would be great. Fans deserve this after seeing Tavares leave. And Hugues-Barzal would be one hell of a 1-2 punch.

Lou and Trotz are calling this a season of evaluating the talent.
Imo we are more likely to see a couple of impending ufas like Lee/Nelson/ Eberle dealt in a futures package then top youngsters dealt for guys pushing 30.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Lou and Trotz are calling this a season of evaluating the talent.
Imo we are more likely to see a couple of impending ufas like Lee/Nelson/ Eberle dealt in a futures package then top youngsters dealt for guys pushing 30.
yeah, I was telling from a Nashville POV I'd have more interest in a Beauvilier type of player who can play C than a UFA like Lee and that would be my price for Turris

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You'd have a much better chance at going after someone on a team where they have a #2C who's playing in a 3C position. Two teams that have this that immediately come to mind are Edmonton (RNH) and Pittsburgh (Brassard). And even ignoring the divisional aspect, I do not see either team being all that interested in moving those guys unless they're getting back something they can't say no to - which would likely defeat the purpose here.

As others have said, it probably doesn't make a ton of sense for NYI to chase a #2C via trade at this time given where the franchise currently is (aka some sort of rebuild).

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You'd have a much better chance at going after someone on a team where they have a #2C who's playing in a 3C position. Two teams that have this that immediately come to mind are Edmonton (RNH) and Pittsburgh (Brassard). And even ignoring the divisional aspect, I do not see either team being all that interested in moving those guys unless they're getting back something they can't say no to - which would likely defeat the purpose here.

As others have said, it probably doesn't make a ton of sense for NYI to chase a #2C via trade at this time given where the franchise currently is (aka some sort of rebuild).
RNH is playing #1LW right now. He's pretty much untouchable.

Reactions: Riptide

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Why do posters think Nashville would break up their current roster?

This roster got them 117 points and the Presidents Trophy last season. Nobody on the team is suddenly awful, even if the playoffs were disappointing.

For those unaware, after the playoff loss to the Jets the players asked Poile not to blow up the roster and to give them another chance to win this season It looks like he intends to honor that request and indeed why wouldnt he?

The only way the Preds start trading roster players is if they stumble out of the gate in the first couple of months.

Reactions: PerdFan

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
NAS would be loooking for an 1A/1B top 2 center rotation... what's do the NYI awnt for Barzal? :sarcasm:

EDIT: I guess I'll add it because some people are capable of getting to post 20 but cant get to post 22 :huh:

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Barzal
Nelson
Filppula

Not the strongest center wise, they could try to play bailey at center since he played center early in his career if they need help. Also you guys do have Bellows but not much behind that. I could see a trade happening for a 2c but probably not from a cup contender.
Replace Nelson with Kovar (not proven with the NHL game however).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
NAS would be loooking for an 1A/1B top 2 center rotation... what's do the NYI awnt for Barzal?
Lou isn't moving Barzal unless the offer was too good to be true. Barzal is the cornerstone and future of the franchise.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
Pretty sure the Isles are gonna surprise a lot of people who think they're rebuilding. They still have a solid core and Barzal is going to easily slot into Tavares' role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->