News: Turris to be scratched again

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
5 games in a row going on 6

Wow... the latest problem contract. Wonder if Sakic gets his return for Duchene if the Preds were not in on Turris?

Does Turris have the potential to do a Tatar rebound with a new team? Possible yes but the Preds would have to retain and term left is a huge issue

Reactions: Barnaby

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I know he’s played centre his whole career, but you think they’d give him a shot at right wing with Arvidsson out.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
... to Toronto who were pinned by the Cap. The Preds have no cap constraints whatsoever, however. We have no motivation whatsoever to do a Marleau-like trade. We're not going to turn around and sign somebody better in mid-season to fill that cap space. We have other players who aren't worth what they are getting as well. Johansen, say. But we aren't looking to trade him. A player doesn't have to be worth exactly what he is getting on the cap to have positive value to the team he's on. Dozens of players would be getting packaged up with draft picks and traded away if that was how it always had to work. Things might change in a year or two, who knows. For now, there is no negative value trade that should be considered.

Poile has a really good roster, and he's throwing away what he's worked hard on if he sits on 6 mil in empty cap space, especially in a year where as I said so many teams are up against it. Mark my words the teams going for it with cap space at this seasons deadline are going to make out like bandits. Because hardly any of the buyers will have the space to add. That's why Montreal and the Islanders are so scary. They're already good, and they still have a lot of space to get better this season.

Not only are you opening up your team for more success now, it's a huge monetary savings. I'd move Turris for a 1st every day of the week if I'm a playoff team. That's 30+ mil in actual savings over 5+ years. People are delusional if they think a draft pick from the 20's to 30's is worth that kind of money. Trouble is, I don't know if a lot of owners would actually sign off on it, because it is so spendy. You'd need a mega rich owner like the Canes have or Montreal/Toronto etc. And I don't know if the teams that have the space, also have the owners or the desire to put up with that contract.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Poile has a really good roster, and he's throwing away what he's worked hard on if he sits on 6 mil in empty cap space, especially in a year where as I said so many teams are up against it. Mark my words the teams going for it with cap space at this seasons deadline are going to make out like bandits. Because hardly any of the buyers will have the space to add. That's why Montreal and the Islanders are so scary. They're already good, and they still have a lot of space to get better this season.

Not only are you opening up your team for more success now, it's a huge monetary savings. I'd move Turris for a 1st every day of the week if I'm a playoff team. That's 30+ mil in actual savings over 5+ years. People are delusional if they think a draft pick from the 20's to 30's is worth that kind of money. Trouble is, I don't know if a lot of owners would actually sign off on it, because it is so spendy. You'd need a mega rich owner like the Canes have or Montreal/Toronto etc. And I don't know if the teams that have the space, also have the owners or the desire to put up with that contract.
I figure if we were really "going for it" we could use that 1st rounder to simply ADD something to our team. We have the cap space to add just about anybody at the TDL. So it seems like it would be a double whammy to use that 1st instead to SUBTRACT something from the team. If we wanted to trade a 1st, we could land a much better defenseman than Bogosian for a playoff run AND still have Turris. How is that not better than just having Bogosian? We'll see where we are at the deadline. Could be in the playoffs, could be out. Might need Turris by then, might not. Might have a new coach who wants to play him, might not. Either way, now is definitely not the time to spend a pick to move him.

And it's also not going to be any monetary savings if they trade him and then turn around and spend that money on some other player next year. It's only a savings if they move him and then choose to stand pat at an additional $6M below the cap. Which I don't think the fanbase would be super happy about. I'd rather have Turris on standby than see the team sitting with $9M in perpetually unused cap space year after year. Which again goes to the question of any and all cap inefficient players in the league. If owners aren't willing to pay money on players who aren't giving the best bang for the buck, why aren't they ALL being packaged up with a 1st and moving constantly? I don't think there's that much of a market, nor that much of a concern about the money. Until you actually run into a cap issue like Toronto with Marleau. We're not there yet. Probably never will be knowing the way Poile runs his payrolls.

Reactions: SouthNash

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
At the moment we're just as confused as you guys are. Poile shot down the rumor that Turris wouldn't play wing. Poile said he doesn't care where he plays, he just wants to play. We fans fail to see how Laviolette justifies Daniel Carr over Turris who has played well. Maybe Turris pissed on Lavi's horse mask or something :laugh:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The entire situation is confusing as a predators fan. Turris has played well or at the very least better then Carr and our other AHL callup. I guess lavi and turris just don’t see eye to eye. At this rate I think lavi will be gone before turris.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
... to Toronto who were pinned by the Cap. The Preds have no cap constraints whatsoever, however. We have no motivation whatsoever to do a Marleau-like trade. We're not going to turn around and sign somebody better in mid-season to fill that cap space. We have other players who aren't worth what they are getting as well. Johansen, say. But we aren't looking to trade him. A player doesn't have to be worth exactly what he is getting on the cap to have positive value to the team he's on. Dozens of players would be getting packaged up with draft picks and traded away if that was how it always had to work. Things might change in a year or two, who knows. For now, there is no negative value trade that should be considered.

You act like having a healthy scratch making 6 million AAV for 5 isn’t an issue. Maybe it’s doable this year, but if he spends all season as a healthy scratch then he’ll be almost completely immovable after that without significant ice time to increase value.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You act like having a healthy scratch making 6 million AAV for 5 isn’t an issue. Maybe it’s doable this year, but if he spends all season as a healthy scratch then he’ll be almost completely immovable after that without significant ice time to increase value.
It's not an issue if he remains a player who is approximately worth that salary, though. It is only 19 games this season to go on. But there was also the WC. I think everything I've seen from him in those two smallish samples says to me that he's back to being the same player he always was. The same player they thought he was when the team signed him to that contract, anyway. The only thing that has changed is the environment around him. Again, this is not like all those other cases of bad-contract players whose play has fallen off a cliff. It doesn't look like that has happened here. Not if you watch him play, anyway, which few people actually seem to do. (And nobody is able to lately, of course!)

How does it hurt us to keep him? Where are we going to spend that $6M today if it's not on Turris? I can't see us having the other 4 centers all stay healthy all season, so presumably Turris gets back in at some point. Or, if the team can't make the playoffs another coach might be brought in. Those are things which could get him back on the ice. Who knows. I don't see how it's really an issue that forces any immediate action. The absolute worst case is the team buys him out in the off-season. We're never a spend-to-the-cap team. Even a $2M cap hit would be swallowed in the cottony void of Poile's annual salary cap cushion. So this idea that the team MUST trade him at negative value seems a little misplaced to me. They might opt to, eventually. But there's really no harm now in holding onto him. If we lose Duchene or Johansen, he's a very easy fit to replace them. That wouldn't otherwise be too easy to find.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Lavy is killing the value of a pretty decent player because of he ego. That is not a sign of a good coach and Poile can’t be happy about it. As much as I bashed Turris in the past he was actually playing fairly decent for his 4th line minutes and if given more opportunity to succeed he could boost his trade value more. 9 points in 19 games with barely over 13 minutes a game isn’t horrible and could bring something of value back for him. But with his latest scratches has to diminish his trade value which solely falls on Lavy. He’s has to go before we go farther down which seems like the only place we’re heading right now. I appreciate what he accomplished while here but his expiration date seem to pass

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would consider him in a trade if Nashville retained 1m per of his caphit for the remainder of his contract. Think he can be a useful 2b or 3a for a contender.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would consider him in a trade if Nashville retained 1m per of his caphit for the remainder of his contract. Think he can be a useful 2b or 3a for a contender.

If they can retain more than 1 million, that might make things more palatable. And do we know the condition of his ankles and feet?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If they can retain more than 1 million, that might make things more palatable. And do we know the condition of his ankles and feet?
Yeah I think the team trading for him would need to send in their medical staff. I like Turris as a player. Not sure why he is on the outs with laviolette? 1m retained would peak my interest.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I think the team trading for him would need to send in their medical staff. I like Turris as a player. Not sure why he is on the outs with laviolette? 1m retained would peak my interest.

Yeah, I am curious why he’s on the outs with Lavy as well. Granted Lavy does seem to have a shelflife about three years and it’s time. With the size of his contract and his age I can’t quite see my way clear to think 1 million alone is enough but it would certainly start to peak my interest if it was 2 million and his ankles/feet are OK

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
1G 1A tonight... his stats are really good for being used as a 4th liner most of the season

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What happened to that guy in May 2018? He had a great start in Nashville for the regular season. The playoffs came around, and he’s been awful ever since.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
What happened to that guy in May 2018? He had a great start in Nashville for the regular season. The playoffs came around, and he’s been awful ever since.

He broke his foot last year and came back to early
He looks great this year but no top six role

As a top six player he’d be a 50 point guy

His numbers as a 4th liner this season
20-5-6-11 34sog

Turris is fine

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Herd the Preds want to go after Hall bad but have to figure out how to unload Turris first. Would the Devils take that contract back but get more futures cause Turris is involved?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He broke his foot last year and came back to early
He looks great this year but no top six role

As a top six player he’d be a 50 point guy

His numbers as a 4th liner this season
20-5-6-11 34sog

Turris is fine

Might be another Tatar situation if he plays with another team. Or not. Problem is he has term left and it's a very risky move to add him and block up that cap space for several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad