Turris and Couture

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As a Ranger fan who is seeing his team drop off of the playoff radar and beginning to rise on the draft order, two players who have caught my interest are Kyle Turris and Logan Couture. For those who have watched them, who's game in the NHL does their respective talents compare to? (Yes, I know that's an easy copout.) I've seen a few comments, (most notablt from BH50), that while neither is on the level of the elite players of prior drafts, are we talking about becoming the likes of Marleau, Richards or Bergeron in terms of top line centers?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Couture is said to be more of a complete player whereas Turris has more of an offensive game. Turris has been said to be Sakic-like in terms of how he plays the game, his skating, passing and shooting...

You think the Rangers will end up with a top 10 pick because that is where those two are projected to go, with Turris likely to end up going in the top 5 and Couture maybe in the top 8.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Couture is said to be more of a complete player whereas Turris has more of an offensive game. Turris has been said to be Sakic-like in terms of how he plays the game, his skating, passing and shooting...

You think the Rangers will end up with a top 10 pick because that is where those two are projected to go, with Turris likely to end up going in the top 5 and Couture maybe in the top 8.

They are currently sitting 12th in the east. If the draft were held today, they'd be in the 10th slot. But, given their recent play - home ice losses to Philly and Columbus, gaining 1 point out of a home-and-home with NJ, after arguably out-playing NJ most of those two games, I find it hard to believe that this team is likely to make a playoff push. In fact, with reports of locker room turmoil, I worry that the bottom could easily fall out. (It's possible it may already have done so.)

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
They are currently sitting 12th in the east. If the draft were held today, they'd be in the 10th slot. But, given their recent play - home ice losses to Philly and Columbus, gaining 1 point out of a home-and-home with NJ, after arguably out-playing NJ most of those two games, I find it hard to believe that this team is likely to make a playoff push. In fact, with reports of locker room turmoil, I worry that the bottom could easily fall out. (It's possible it may already have done so.)

I agree...the Rangers are 4 points out of the #7 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

I don't think we'd get Turris without a tradeup unless he does something bad between now and the draft.

Personally I'm liking Van Riemsdyk...if we get another #1 this year Petricki in a trade up ...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Couture is a solid, but not great skater, who has great hands, elite playmaking ability, a solid two way game and a very high hockey IQ. He is a safe bet to be a NHL center some day, although his upside might be a poor #1 or very good #2. Andrew Cassels and Craig Janney are two players who come to mind when comparing Couture. Marc Savard and Brad Richards are two modern day guys, in terms of his high end upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad