Turning with one skate in front of the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
Titan124 said:
This was something ive never been able to do on blades or skates. I always lose my balance! Is there something I'm missing?
If you mean crossing over (I'm pretty sure you do), then I'd say TBLFan is onto something. ;)

Obviously the idea is to not trip yourself. The best way I can describe it is to pull your base foot (the one that's anchored while you cross the other over it) back as you're finishing the cross stride. Of course, as you're still accelerating throughout this action, it's easy to lose an edge or just fall over when you're just getting the hang of it. I suggest doing it on inline rollerskates, since ice is less forgiving. Once you figure out the strides, try it out on ice and hope you don't lose your edge too often.

I found a site that says kinda the same thing, but with pictures: http://www.nfha.com/ahmtips/crossovers.htm

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If your talking about crossovers, make sure there is about a 1/2 skate length distance between the foot you are crossing over with and your back foot. Then, when your crossing over foot touches the ice, lean forward a tiny bit, putting the weight on you front foot and then bring your back foot to the position you started. I does take a bit of practice, but once you get the feel of them, it comes natural.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The way I read it, I think he means turning without pumping your feet at all. Like, one skate is ahead of the other by a foot and a half or whatever, and you just lean in toward the direction you want to turn. If that's what it is, it came to me very naturally, but it's important to keep your blades lined up with each other, heel -> toe.

Sometimes I do that to protect the puck going around the back of the net, then I'll change it and come right out in front of the goalie facing him. To change it, I have my skates still lined up with each other, but the heels are towards each other. This is more for making a circle, with your back facing out of it, so you're always looking to the center of the circle. It's really good to stretch your groin before playing, but especially if you're going to do something like this. You can definitely feel it when you're doing it right. It actually kind of feels like stretching.

I'll try futily to illustrate what I mean:

STEP 1

.................TOE
.................SKATE
.................SAME SKATE
.................HEEL

.................A FOOT OF SPACE OR SO

.................TOE
.................2ND SKATE
.................HEEL

Then I just lean, like I said.

STEP 2

.................TOE
.................SKATE
.................HEEL

.................SPACE

.................HEEL
.................SKATE
.................TOE

Your head on the second one would be facing either the left or right margin, depending on which foot is which.

Does that help at all? :teach: :confused:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
BikeGiftingMan said:
The way I read it, I think he means turning without pumping your feet at all. Like, one skate is ahead of the other by a foot and a half or whatever, and you just lean in toward the direction you want to turn. If that's what it is, it came to me very naturally, but it's important to keep your blades lined up with each other, heel -> toe.

Sometimes I do that to protect the puck going around the back of the net, then I'll change it and come right out in front of the goalie facing him. To change it, I have my skates still lined up with each other, but the heels are towards each other. This is more for making a circle, with your back facing out of it, so you're always looking to the center of the circle. It's really good to stretch your groin before playing, but especially if you're going to do something like this. You can definitely feel it when you're doing it right. It actually kind of feels like stretching.

I'll try futily to illustrate what I mean:

STEP 1

.................TOE
.................SKATE
.................HEEL

.................A FOOT OF SPACE OR SO

.................TOE
.................2ND SKATE
.................HEEL

Then I just lean, like I said.

STEP 2

.................TOE
.................SKATE
.................HEEL

.................SPACE

.................HEEL
.................SKATE
.................TOE

Your head on the second one would be facing either the left or right margin, depending on which foot is which.

Does that help at all? :teach: :confused:

I guess you don't care anymore? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad