Turning point of last 5 Stanley Cup´s finals

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
2005-06 Canes vs. Oilers......Marc-Andre Bergeron pushes Andrew Ladd into goaltender Dwayne Roloson late in the tied game 1. Roloson badly injures his knee and he is out for a year. Idle for two months, Ty Conklin is inserted into cage and with minute left in regulation he misplays the puck behind the net, allowing Rod Brind´Amour to score a winner.

Fill in the rest....

2003-04 Ligtning vs. Flames....

2002-03 Devils vs. Mighty Ducks...

2001-02 Red Wings vs. Canes...

2000-01 Avalanche vs. Devils...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hard to say for a lot of them. In '01-02 the Larionov 3OT goals in game 3 would be it. Detroit never lost after that.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
2005-06 Canes vs. Oilers......Marc-Andre Bergeron pushes Andrew Ladd into goaltender Dwayne Roloson late in the tied game 1. Roloson badly injures his knee and he is out for a year. Idle for two months, Ty Conklin is inserted into cage and with minute left in regulation he misplays the puck behind the net, allowing Rod Brind´Amour to score a winner.

Maybe the turning point in that game is when the line-up card was filled out with Conklin as the back-up and not Markanen.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
St. Louis goal like 30 seconds into the 2OT of Game 6 even though the first OT was amazingly close.

Stevens hit on Kariya

Carolina beat the Leafs, Wings burst in laughter

Gomez's disallowed goal

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Fill in the rest....

That wasn't the turning point. Roloson could not have outplayed Markanen that series, plain and simple.

1datsyuk3*

Carolina beat the Leafs, Wings burst in laughter

not exactly, that series was way closer than most people often realize, and way closer than any 4-1 series I can remember...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
not exactly, that series was way closer than most people often realize, and way closer than any 4-1 series I can remember...

In 1999 the Dallas Stars swept the Oilers. All 4 games were by 1 goal and game 4 was decided in triple overtime. It was a pretty closely fought series that just saw Dallas come out on top every game. A funny thing about that series was Edmonton had about 4-6 goals disallowed by a foot in the crease. In such a close series this could have been the difference between winning in 4 and losing in 4. We all know how the playoffs ended that year........

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Martin St.Louis OT goal in game 6

Mike Rupp

Red Wings won the cup after they beat the Avs

Peter Sykora's post in game 7 when it was 1-0 Avs

Lux Aurumque*

I think the turning point last year was when Edmonton blew out Carolina. After that, they seemed so much more determined in game 7. You can't call the Roloson injury a turning point, because #1) Markkanen played as well as, if not better than Roloson would've, and #2) The Oilers still won 3 games after that.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California

Fill in the rest....

2004: St. Louis' 2OT goal in Game 6 (the last Cup final I actually bothered to take time out of my day and watch)
2003: Mike Rupp's goal in Game 7 (the games weren't very exciting, but I liked the series for some reason)
2002: Larionov's OT goal in Game 3 or 4, it pretty much sealed the deal.
2001: Patrick Roy shutting out the Devils in Game 6. Come on did anyone really believe that New Jersey would win a Game 7 in Colorado with the whole "win it for Ray" thing?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Stevens hit on Kariya
Gomez's disallowed goal

I agree with 2001 that was a killer. I was at that game the place was going crazy before hand and everyone was ready for another Cup celebration, the Devils got a punch of PP early and couldn't score and then the disallowed goal was a killer.

As far as 2003 though I'm going to disagree. I'm going to go with the Pandolfo game winner in game 5. The Ducks had just won 2 OT games to get back in the series. Then they scored the first goal to take the early 1-0 lead in game 5. The teams then traded goals and it was tied at 3 in the second when Pandolfo scored on a deflection of his skates. The Devils scored twice more to win 6-3 and gave them the lead in the series.

Steven hit wasn't a turning point because it turned nothing around. Anaheim was already winning that game and they furthered their lead in the game after the hit. Game 7 was pretty much over on the opening faceoff.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Probably Gomez's disallowed goal in game 6 with NJ up 3-2.
Don't get me wrong, it was rightfully disallowed, but it seemed to wake up the Avs.
Game 4 was a Roy shut out the only 3-2 game was in favor of the Devils was Game 4 which tied the series.

Foote's blueline goal at the end of the 1st in Game 6

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Game 4 was a Roy shut out the only 3-2 game was in favor of the Devils was Game 4 which tied the series.

I think he meant that the series score was 3-2. And I assume you meant that Game 6 was a Roy shut-out, since NJ won Game 4 as you correctly stated.

The Devils in Game 6 were about as lifeless a team as I ever saw with a chance to clinch on home ice. But I don't remember any disallowed goal of consequence, at what point in the game was it?

Last year, Markkanen only allowed 8 goals in 5 games, after the Game 2 blowout which Roloson would have lost anyway. As far as the gaffe with 1 minute left in Game 1, that can certainly be a turning point, but the fact that Roloson was injured is pretty much moot when you look at the series as a whole.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hard to say for a lot of them. In '01-02 the Larionov 3OT goals in game 3 would be it. Detroit never lost after that.

The turning point was a couple hours earlier. Wings were trailing in the dying moments of the 3rd and Hull tipped a Lidstrom wrister to tie it up. That was the swing point from going down 2-1 and winning out.

El Dandy*

2003-2004

To me it wasn't the obvious Martin St. Louis double-overtime goal in Game 6. It was still in Game 6 ,but I would say that the disputed Martin Gelinas goal in the third period that would have made it 3-2 Calgary with 5 minutes left(could have been the Cup clinching goal) was the turning point of the series.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I think he meant that the series score was 3-2. And I assume you meant that Game 6 was a Roy shut-out, since NJ won Game 4 as you correctly stated.

The Devils in Game 6 were about as lifeless a team as I ever saw with a chance to clinch on home ice. But I don't remember any disallowed goal of consequence, at what point in the game was it?

Yep, that's what I meant, NJ was up 3-2 in the series.

The Gomez "goal" happened at 0-0... After that, Avs just started raising their game. And NJ couldn't score to save their life.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The devils in Game 6 were lifeless? They came out like gang busters and Patrick Roy was the only reason the Avs survived the early siege. The devils went lifeless after Footes goal...a real deflating goal Brodeur let in.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
Devils/Ducks 2003 final:

"Scott Niedermeyer shot...SCORES!!!!.....Mike Rupp deflected it!"

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The devils in Game 6 were lifeless? They came out like gang busters and Patrick Roy was the only reason the Avs survived the early siege. The devils went lifeless after Footes goal...a real deflating goal Brodeur let in.

Well OK, they were lifeless for 75% of the game. I had forgetten about the Gomez no-goal. After Foote scored there was never any sense, at least to me, that they were going to win the game, or the Cup for that matter.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yep, that's what I meant, NJ was up 3-2 in the series.

The Gomez "goal" happened at 0-0... After that, Avs just started raising their game. And NJ couldn't score to save their life.

Misunderstood you.

Jersey just died for the final 5 periods.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
That wasn't the turning point. Roloson could not have outplayed Markanen that series, plain and simple.

Of course he could have. He was the reason the Oilers made it to the finals. And while Markanen played great, what did losing their number one goalie do to the Oilers psyche overall? We'll never know for sure....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad