Turning it around

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Anybody see a chance for us to get on a winning streak for the next 5 - 7 games?

H Detroit -
A Minnesota -
A Nashville -
A San Jose -
H LA -
-----------------trade deadline
H Detroit -
H Colorado -

I'm not seeing it. Maybe we have a chance against Nashville since they are playing as crappy as us, but we'll have played the night before. And maybe Colorado.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It is possible for the Coyotes to be in last place in the West by Sunday night. Not even kidding.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely we can do it, regardless of opponent. Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? :bb:

ssmatik

Jul 13, 2007
West Side
sd-1.jpg

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I'm not optimistic about the future of this franchise. And I am burned out from the saga. So I would rather they go into a full sell - mode and tank.

Usually I'm one of the more optimistic posters and deep down would like them to have another great run, but the 'Yotes will have to replace so many forwards. I don't see any in the 'A' that are ready to make the jump in the near future. Also it will be hard to find any free agents willing to sign here.

I just think it would be healthier for the franchise to go all out and it seems like a good deep draft to pick up extra picks...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I still like this group for the moat part. This season is a joke, anyway. Complete throw away season. I'm not willing to discard everything for the sake of a 48/99 charade.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is John Anderson responsible for our power play? If so, he should be fired. If it is Tippett, Maloney needs to tell him that he must hand it over to Anderson and it is non-negotiable.

That idiotic neutral zone drop pass that they've been trying every single ****ing PP since opening night has not worked even one God damned time. Not once.

Why is David Moss not standing in front of the net on the pp? Is that not the single biggest reason we signed the damn guy? Look at his career powerplay goals per game numbers. He's excellent as a net front presence. It's the only reason an 800k player is making 2m. Because he's actually a half decent pp contributor if he's got a coach with half a brain to use him there.

Why the **** is five foot three inch Steve Sullivan manning the point? He's ****ing terrible, at it. He's got no gas on his shot with his itty bitty old man arms. His feet don't move. He's got the least amount of reach in the NHL. He couldn't keep the puck in the zone if his life depended on it. He's not capable. Too small, too slow, too weak. Yet, his entire career he's been a deadly weapon QBing from the half wall. Guy was lethal on the pp in Nashville. One of the leagues elite pp QBs from the half wall for years. How many games has he been given that job so far as a Coyote? Zero. Zero ****ing times. It's Pejorative Slured.

If Tippett is responsible for this, he MUST be forcefully stripped of his duties.

If Anderson is responsible he needs to be fired yesterday.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
^^^ I believe Anderson had the PP last year, Tip or King had it the year before. Tip at least has a hand in it this year if it's not fully his. Earlier this year he had talked about how during the off season they had watched tape on some of the more successful PP teams the last couple years to see what was making them tick.

Both San Jose and Detroit use the drop pass in the neutral zone for entry at times but not as much as we do. (I remember SJ doing it constantly when McLellan took over, worked for a while but everyone caught on so they don't use it as much now). I'm assuming our coaches picked it up from watching tape on them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good teams shoot more on the PP. Any shot is better than no shot. We all have seen the pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-shot block crap time and time again. There's absolutely nothing wrong with lobbing one at the net and scrambling for it. The Coyotes roster is arguably built to do so, not look for snipes from the circle. You've got a combination of little skill, an over reliance on shots from the point, and timid players like Boedker who refuse to shoot.

I mean, at the end of the day, it's just a math problem. You're more likely to score 1 goal on 5 crappy shots than 1 goal on 1 great shot. 5 crappy shots are less likely to all be blocked. Why this doesn't occur to the Coyotes is beyond me. The top PP teams also have designated shooters that fire the puck 100% of the time if they get it in their pre-assigned spot. Ovechkin at the top of the left circle isn't really all that different from Doan's one timer in years past.

The 07-08 team was #11 in PP. Top PP scorers were Doan, Vrbata, Jovo and Mueller. Not coincidentally, these four were the top shot takers on the team with 200+ each. The next closest player was Morris at 135.

Moral of the story: shoot the ******* puck.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good teams shoot more on the PP. Any shot is better than no shot. We all have seen the pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-shot block crap time and time again. There's absolutely nothing wrong with lobbing one at the net and scrambling for it. The Coyotes roster is arguably built to do so, not look for snipes from the circle. You've got a combination of little skill, an over reliance on shots from the point, and timid players like Boedker who refuse to shoot.

I mean, at the end of the day, it's just a math problem. You're more likely to score 1 goal on 5 crappy shots than 1 goal on 1 great shot. 5 crappy shots are less likely to all be blocked. Why this doesn't occur to the Coyotes is beyond me. The top PP teams also have designated shooters that fire the puck 100% of the time if they get it in their pre-assigned spot. Ovechkin at the top of the left circle isn't really all that different from Doan's one timer in years past.

The 07-08 team was #11 in PP. Top PP scorers were Doan, Vrbata, Jovo and Mueller. Not coincidentally, these four were the top shot takers on the team with 200+ each. The next closest player was Morris at 135.

Moral of the story: shoot the ******* puck.

I agree with you. We have tried for years with different coachs trying to improve the PP, but I think we just need more skill.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is John Anderson responsible for our power play? If so, he should be fired. If it is Tippett, Maloney needs to tell him that he must hand it over to Anderson and it is non-negotiable.

That idiotic neutral zone drop pass that they've been trying every single ****ing PP since opening night has not worked even one God damned time. Not once.

Why is David Moss not standing in front of the net on the pp? Is that not the single biggest reason we signed the damn guy? Look at his career powerplay goals per game numbers. He's excellent as a net front presence. It's the only reason an 800k player is making 2m. Because he's actually a half decent pp contributor if he's got a coach with half a brain to use him there.

Why the **** is five foot three inch Steve Sullivan manning the point? He's ****ing terrible, at it. He's got no gas on his shot with his itty bitty old man arms. His feet don't move. He's got the least amount of reach in the NHL. He couldn't keep the puck in the zone if his life depended on it. He's not capable. Too small, too slow, too weak. Yet, his entire career he's been a deadly weapon QBing from the half wall. Guy was lethal on the pp in Nashville. One of the leagues elite pp QBs from the half wall for years. How many games has he been given that job so far as a Coyote? Zero. Zero ****ing times. It's Pejorative Slured.

If Tippett is responsible for this, he MUST be forcefully stripped of his duties.

If Anderson is responsible he needs to be fired yesterday.

Who pissed in your corn flakes:) I thought you still liked this group? But I agree with your points. What we need is just more skill.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Good teams shoot more on the PP. Any shot is better than no shot.

They should adopt something similar to the Steve Nash / D'Antoni Suns offense. If you aren't shoveling the puck toward the net every seven seconds you are doing it wrong.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We will have to win 12 out of 17, basically 24 pts out of 34 pts to make it...especially with so many teams in front of us.

I think after this weekend the only teams that will be below us are Calgary and Colorado.

...and again, if we're not going to make the playoffs, then please let us be in the bottom 4.

And if we do make it, we'll be playing Chicago or Anaheim in the 1st round.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I listened to Tip on 910 am this afternoon. He was asked about Mike Smith, goal tending and defense. Tip said that last year they relied on Smith too much and wanted to lessen that reliance this year by having less shots on goal and less scoring chances. Tip said they have had less shots against and less scoring chances this year, but at the same time the GAA went up. He said Smith has not been as good as last year but also 4 of 5 goals were deflections in the Kings series.

My take from it was that Smith is the major reason we won last year and the major reason we are loosing this year. I know we need more timely goals and better offensive guys and a few less defensive lapses but it all boils down to the goalie....

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I listened to Tip on 910 am this afternoon. He was asked about Mike Smith, goal tending and defense. Tip said that last year they relied on Smith too much and wanted to lessen that reliance this year by having less shots on goal and less scoring chances. Tip said they have had less shots against and less scoring chances this year, but at the same time the GAA went up. He said Smith has not been as good as last year but also 4 of 5 goals were deflections in the Kings series.

My take from it was that Smith is the major reason we won last year and the major reason we are loosing this year. I know we need more timely goals and better offensive guys and a few less defensive lapses but it all boils down to the goalie....

Smith hasn't been as good this year, but neither has the team defense. There's been many uncharacteristic turnovers and missed coverages that keep ending up in the back of our net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad