Turcotte vs. Dach

higher offensive ceiling/floor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dach has the higher offensive ceiling, just because he does everything to a similar level as Turcotte but he owns a better shot and a better physical package.

The highest floor is Turcotte.
And Turcotte is much more likely to reach his potential.

Id take Turcotte hands down BTW. Hes a Byram tier prospect, a notch above Dach.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Dach has the higher offensive ceiling, just because he does everything to a similar level as Turcotte but he owns a better shot and a better physical package.

This.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Dude I still think Turcotte is a better player but I love Dach and thinks has an elite ceiling as well. Did not let bias get the better of me.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

This

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Turcotte is way safer but Dach has an outside chance to eclipse Hughes and Kakko as the best player the 2019 draft. He's probably just as talented as J. Hughes and he's 6-4. That's his ceiling. He's also less likely to reach it. It's the same with the Boqvist/Q. Hughes argument. Both Dach and Boqvist ooze talent but they're both fairly risky.

Right now, Turcotte is the better prospect. That doesn't mean 4 years from now he's going to be the better player.

So to answer the OP, Dach has the higher ceiling, Turcotte's floor is higher.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Turcotte for floor and Dach for Ceiling. I think you'll at the worst cases scenario get a 3C out of Turcotte while Dach can complete bust. Also think Dach can be Getzlaf level and I don't see that kind of ceiling for Turcotte.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The answer is Dach.

Everyone agrees that he clearly possesses the higher potential ceiling, but Dach is also clearly ready to step in and play 3C with the Hawks this season if needed. He’s already got the skills, size, skating, and 2-way game to play well in the NHL, while Turcotte is multiple years away from the show. So the “lower floor” argument can f*** off.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Dach has the higher offensive ceiling for sure, but Turcotte is an absolute animal that won't be denied, mold of Mike Richards/Jonathan Toews. I do think his offensive skillset is being sold a little short...I think Turcotte is a 70 point guy and Dach could be 90 (someone else mentioned Getzlaf).

The answer is Dach.

Everyone agrees that he clearly possesses the higher potential ceiling, but Dach is also clearly ready to step in and play 3C with the Hawks this season if needed. He’s already got the skills, size, skating, and 2-way game to play well in the NHL, while Turcotte is multiple years away from the show. So the “lower floor” argument can **** off.

Uh, what? Explain, because I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think Dach has the higher offensive ceiling for sure, but Turcotte is an absolute animal that won't be denied, mold of Mike Richards/Jonathan Toews. I do think his offensive skillset is being sold a little short...I think Turcotte is a 70 point guy and Dach could be 90 (someone else mentioned Getzlaf).

Uh, what? Explain, because I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly.
Have you actually watched Dach play yourself? I have to ask because 95% of opinion on him on HFBoards is complete bullshit. His thread is overflowing with commentary on alleged concerns with skating, intensity, and responsibility/positioning without the puck, when quite literally the exact opposite is true.

Go browse the Blackhawks forum. He’s ready to go. It’s just a question of if playing 1C in the WHL and a big role at the WJC is better for his development than 3C in the NHL. Either way, I guarantee he sees the full 9 games right away - or at least would have prior to being injured by a disgustingly dirty Wild team yesterday.

Turcotte, on the other hand, won’t be in the NHL this year. So how can anyone possibly argue, as it has been put up above, that Dach has bust potential while Turcotte is a 3C at worst, when the former can and will (for at least some time) already fulfill that role? It’s a failure of logic.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Have you actually watched Dach play yourself? I have to ask because 95% of opinion on him on HFBoards is complete bull****. His thread is overflowing with commentary on alleged concerns with skating, intensity, and responsibility/positioning without the puck, when quite literally the exact opposite is true.

Go browse the Blackhawks forum. He’s ready to go. It’s just a question of if playing 1C in the WHL and a big role at the WJC is better for his development than 3C in the NHL. Either way, I guarantee he sees the full 9 games right away - or at least would have prior to being injured by a disgustingly dirty Wild team yesterday.

Turcotte, on the other hand, won’t be in the NHL this year. So how can anyone possibly argue, as it has been put up above, that Dach has bust potential while Turcotte is a 3C at worst, when the former can and will (for at least some time) already fulfill that role? It’s a failure of logic.

I believe you about Dach. You'll notice what I said about him was incredibly positive. I boldfaced the part about Turcotte being multiple years away--what makes you think that?

He's going to college this year--that doesn't mean he can't play. In fact, he's likely on the team at the end of the year...

That is a failure of logic. It would be like me saying "Dach is injured so he won't be in the NHL this year" as if he can't hack it when really it's simply circumstance.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I believe you about Dach. You'll notice what I said about him was incredibly positive. I boldfaced the part about Turcotte being multiple years away--what makes you think that?

He's going to college this year--that doesn't mean he can't play. In fact, he's likely on the team at the end of the year...

That is a failure of logic. It would be like me saying "Dach is injured so he won't be in the NHL this year" as if he can't hack it when really it's simply circumstance.
Agreed. I’m simply arguing against the idea that Dach has a “lower floor.” There’s no rationality to that.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The way I see it, Dach’s theoretical advantage is being 5 inches taller and the potential to play about 30 pounds heavier in the NHL, but Turcotte plays as if he’s that size, so the advantage there would be near negligible. Just like Crosby does well in puck battles due to his compete level and build, I think Turcotte will also play much bigger than his size. He already does. He’s the most NHL ready player in the draft class, in my opinion.

Dach can be a passable or slightly better defensive player, but I think Turcotte has Selke potential. Dach’s skating is underrated, but Turcotte is a very good skater and better than Dach. Offensive upside is similar in my opinion. This is the most underrated part of Turcotte’s game.

Because he actually plays defense really well right now, unlike some of the other high picks from that team, his offense is rarely talked about but he had some of the best stats to ever come through that program. He did it without star line mates and at times without PP1 time. He also had better stats than Hughes in USHL play. Hughes was better in games against college teams and international competition. None of the other NTDP forwards, including some players that some claim are better than Turcotte, were even close to those two in PPG.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If I'm looking at this from the scope of a career. Genetics is the reason I'd go with Dach. There are obese/overweight people in Turcotte's family including his father.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Well, lots of Hawks fans wanted Turcotte or Byram hoping either for a Selke Toews-lite or a chance at a franchise D.

So, the next 5 years will play out in the debate of us amateurs versus the guys who do this for a living. I'm just hoping Dach reaches that ceiling. He looks like a mother****er when he's on his game as he can fly through traffic and seems willing to get to the dirty areas. But, if he doesn't come into his own in the perfect scenario I think he could get rag-dolled by most guys with better core strength. He's big, but he's not strong in the middle yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->