tuomu ruttu-wendel clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer9318

Mar 3, 2004
watching this guy last night, and listening to my dad, who is a huge clark fan( fav player) i really see the comparison. My dad was sayin that they were comparing him to wendel, and my dad really saw it. Now that means alot to me because over the years my dad has never compared anyone to wendel, anyone else see a comparison.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
mkboots said:
watching this guy last night, and listening to my dad, who is a huge clark fan( fav player) i really see the comparison. My dad was sayin that they were comparing him to wendel, and my dad really saw it. Now that means alot to me because over the years my dad has never compared anyone to wendel, anyone else see a comparison.
Well Ruttu played 82 games last season so that pretty much throws any Clark comparison out the window. Ruttu does seem to have elements of Wendel but with more skill and so far durability.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fortunately for Ruttu he can go out and just play his game, not being expected to be the man like Wendel was in his first few years in the League... Wendel was required to take on all comers, to go along with play a balls to the wall type game... Ballard built Wendel up to be superman and played a factor in Wendel's lack of durability...Who knows what kind of career Wendel may have had if he came into the league with less responsibility to go along with the orginization doing a better job of protecting him. Wendel was a first overall pick in 85, and came into the league taking on the toughest the league had to offer... that is pretty much unheard of for a first overall pick nowdays.

Wendel had a great shot, and a good set out of hands... If a defender looked down at the puck when defending against Wendel he could make him pay by making him look foolish... Wendel though was never really a playmaker to the degree that Ruttu appears to be... That is one edge that Ruttu would appear to have on Wendel... Both may be similar in hitting ability.... Pound for pound Wendel was one of the best hitters in the league in his prime, Ruttu could very well become one of the top hitters in the league in not too long....

From 92-94 Wendel played some of his best hockey and was one of the hardest players to play against when healthy, which made him highly coveted... When he was at the top of his game he could have a large impact on the outcome of the game...In that sense I could very well see them being comparable when it comes to their presence in the sense that the opposition is always aware when they are out on the ice, and their ability to be the player out there who can really take the bull by the horns...

Ruttu also prides himself on being good defensively, a area where Wendel lacked for a good portion of his career, especially early on...

In hindsight the deal may go down as a bust for the Nords/Avs, but there was a reason Wendel was able to land the Leafs a young first overall pick who would become their franchise player for the next 10 + years.

The two as said may be similar in some aspects, but it's tough to really compare given the different set of circumstances.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
DaveyCrockett said:
Well Ruttu played 82 games last season so that pretty much throws any Clark comparison out the window. Ruttu does seem to have elements of Wendel but with more skill and so far durability.

Wendel was doing alright in the durability department his first two years in the NHL. It's afterward that things turned into a nightmare. Ruutu has already had injury struggles. I also suspect he was not 100% in the first half of season. So he may already be experiencing problems in the NHL.

He remains a fantastic player. He's going to be one of my favorites before long. I don't think he is much more skilled than Wendel Clark but then again, I was a huge Wendel fan.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Tuomo Ruutu.

Wendel Clark had 2 30+-goal seasons to start his career, then had 2 more 30+-goal seasons in his next 13 seasons before retiring. I don't think Ruutu will get 46 goals like Clark did in 1994 (unless the scoring level goes up again), but I think he can -- and will -- end up with more 30-goal seasons than Clark did, and will end up with more assists. Ruutu doesn't fight nearly as much as Clark did, but he's willing to fight if necessary. Ruutu does everything well: shooting, passing, skating, stickhandling through and around people, hitting them into the boards and in open ice. I said maybe 6 months ago on a different forum that Ruutu was already one of the best hitters among forwards and I got blasted by a bunch of 14-year-olds. It was kinda funny. Now they want Ruutu on their teams.

Tuomo Ruutu isn't Peter Forsberg ... he's Tuomo Ruutu. In a few years (or maybe less), people will start comparing prospects to Tuomo Ruutu and saying, "We gotta draft this guy."

The only things Ruutu has to worry about:
-- learning when to go for the hit and when to stay back to break up a pass. There were a number of times this past season when Ruutu was between two players and went for the hit and had the puck go past him. But that will come with time.
-- staying healthy. Having knee problems before you turn 20 is never a good sign.
-- Bill Wirtz. Unless Wirtzless dies, by 2010, Ruutu will most likely be on a new team due to contract dealings and Wirtzless not willing to pay him.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
JayzinSmith said:
Tuomo Ruutu.

Wendel Clark had 2 30+-goal seasons to start his career, then had 2 more 30+-goal seasons in his next 13 seasons before retiring. I don't think Ruutu will get 46 goals like Clark did in 1994 (unless the scoring level goes up again), but I think he can -- and will -- end up with more 30-goal seasons than Clark did, and will end up with more assists. Ruutu doesn't fight nearly as much as Clark did, but he's willing to fight if necessary. Ruutu does everything well: shooting, passing, skating, stickhandling through and around people, hitting them into the boards and in open ice. I said maybe 6 months ago on a different forum that Ruutu was already one of the best hitters among forwards and I got blasted by a bunch of 14-year-olds. It was kinda funny. Now they want Ruutu on their teams.

Tuomo Ruutu isn't Peter Forsberg ... he's Tuomo Ruutu. In a few years (or maybe less), people will start comparing prospects to Tuomo Ruutu and saying, "We gotta draft this guy."

The only things Ruutu has to worry about:
-- learning when to go for the hit and when to stay back to break up a pass. There were a number of times this past season when Ruutu was between two players and went for the hit and had the puck go past him. But that will come with time.
-- staying healthy. Having knee problems before you turn 20 is never a good sign.
-- Bill Wirtz. Unless Wirtzless dies, by 2010, Ruutu will most likely be on a new team due to contract dealings and Wirtzless not willing to pay him.

This is a excellent post, Tuomo is his own player he has his own style.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JayzinSmith said:
Ruutu does everything well: shooting, passing, skating, stickhandling through and around people, hitting them into the boards and in open ice.

I disagree, I don't think he does everything all that well. In fact, I think some of the basics are so-so. His skating is shaky and the puck rarely looks steady on his stick.

The best way I was able to explain this to friends is that when you watch him, he does great plays but it often looks like he is on super-bad, 3rd OT ice. The puck is often shaky on his stick and he seems to struggle when skating. The shot is good but not great.

That's why I find it so impressive that nonetheless gets results. He skates and gets where he needs to be and is a really smart player with good patience and good shooting instincts. He makes amazing decisions for zone coverage in all three zones. He certainly doesn't get there because he's the fastest.

JayzinSmith said:
I said maybe 6 months ago on a different forum that Ruutu was already one of the best hitters among forwards and I got blasted by a bunch of 14-year-olds. It was kinda funny. Now they want Ruutu on their teams.

Yeah, I love his hitting and he is absolutely fearless. He's going to be a respected leader if he can stay healthy and have a long career.

JayzinSmith said:

Maybe a new CBA will fix this partly. Hopefully.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
JayzinSmith said:
Unfortunately this could very well be the case. How old is Dollar Bill anyways?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
To Vancouver
Ruutu

To Chicago
Jovanovski
2nd round pick

If Niedermayer comes here. Just an idea.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
To Vancouver
Ruutu

To Chicago
Jovanovski
2nd round pick

Jovanovski may be overrated in general but I think you're still overpaying big time for Ruutu here.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
AJ1982 said:
Jovanovski may be overrated in general but I think you're still overpaying big time for Ruutu here.
I really dont think so. Maybe take out the pick..but the Ruutu would be sick with the Sedins. I would only do this if Niedermayer signs here, which is still way up in the air. Just an idea. I think its more balanced then alot of people would offer.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
DaveyCrockett said:
Unfortunately this could very well be the case. How old is Dollar Bill anyways?
73 or so.

jtuzzi21 said:
To Vancouver
Ruutu

To Chicago
Jovanovski
2nd round pick

I don't usual participate in any trade proposals, but ... NO. There is no sane reason for the Blackhawks to make that trade.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
He certainly doesn't get there because he's the fastest.

I never thought he was that good of a skater either but I was extremely impressed when watching him at the world cup. He isn`t the prettiest skater, far from it, but I think that he at the very least above average.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
jtuzzi21 said:
I really dont think so. Maybe take out the pick..but the Ruutu would be sick with the Sedins. I would only do this if Niedermayer signs here, which is still way up in the air. Just an idea. I think its more balanced then alot of people would offer.

I definitely wouldn't do that from a Canucks point of view. Why would you want to trade an established defenseman like Jovanovski, who are rare enough and will still get a lot better, and a high draft pick in exchange for Tuomo Ruutu? Ruutu is a great young player, but a) he wouldn't help the Canucks too much in a run for the cup and b) I don't think he's a franchise player in the ilk of a Thornton, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk. He's not as big as these guys, not as talented and has had injury troubles and plays a physical game, which is a bad combination. c) It always seems like a bad idea to trade a quality defenseman for a forward.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
DaveyCrockett said:
With the style that Ruutu plays it is far too early to say that he is more durable then Wendel. Ruutu is a fierce bodychecker so that is valid but to be compared to Wendel he has to be able to drop the mitts and do it well, Clark was a fierce fighter.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Until Ruutu drops the gloves with a fighter of Proberts calibre a few times like Wendel did, I'll say it's difficult to compare the two...both can shoot, both could hit, and Wendel use to have some nice dekes...but the big difference isn't skill, it's dropping the gloves and taking on players when they've taken liberties with your teammates (McSorley) I haven't seen Ruutu do that yet...

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think Ruutu got in 2 fights last year. One with todd harvey and garnet exelby. He's not out there to fight.

The last knee injury he got in Finland was a cheap shot. It could happen to anyone if some goon wants to get you. I don't see his health being an issue.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Health is going to be an issue with forwards that play a physical brand of hockey more often than not. Rugged, feisty forwards ranging from Tkachuk to Koivu to Forsberg to Nolan to Lindros to Clark to Roenick invariably run into injuries and long term injuries. I can't really think of too many physical players who stay injury free.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Any player could get injured. You could take a slapshot to the jaw (JR) or tear your knee up finishing your check. (Nolan)

Even a relatively soft forward like Tanguay got injured last year.

Ruutu injured his knee cause some idiot hit him knee on knee. You don't see many star players being hit like that in the NHL.

90% of NHL players finish their checks. You don't play in the NHL if you don't. (of course there is the odd exception)

Yes Ruutu does have a higher chance of being injured cause he throws a ton of checks. But watchin him play all last season i can't see him bein on the IR much. He's a pretty smart player.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The one thing that (could be) forgotten in this is durability issue is a kids toughness. I don't mean fighting, I mean willing to play through pain.

I don't know the date (look it up if you want) but Ruutu damaged his shoulder pretty good in the last Colorado game. Mutual collision, both guys went down. I didnt think there was any way he would play, but he finished out the season and still put up points. Didn't hit, the last 6 games or so, but still put up points.

That shows a lot of moxy for a 21 year old kid on a team playing only for pride.

-fulllmetalninja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad