Tuomo Ruutu Vs. Eric Staal - Who will have the better career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Right now id say Ruutu. The kid has done alot at every end or inch of the ice. He hits, Plyas physical, grinds other teams, scoring, playmakes, does it all...

Staal i see as a finesse player with a slight, very slight edge and big body. I like the Modano Comparison a lot. I see him as a lowerclass Modano, while i see Ruutu as a better Peca

you decide

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
I haven't seen enough of Staal to really judge him (Ruutu is going to be a Stud with a capital S), but it's interesting that this was brought up because I just read an article in ESPN the Mag. about the Staal boys, and how all four have very realistic NHL potential. That got me wondering which of the Staal brothers will have the best career (though it is admittedly way, way, way too early to judge considering Jared is still only ~15). Still, it's interesting to think these guys could be the next Sutters.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Staal all the way. This isn't a slight against Ruuttu - he's a bona fide future power forward with lots of talent. He'll score at least a point-per-game at some point in his career, and scare goalies with his skills and opposing skaters with his hits.

But Staal is a very special player. There isn't a weakness in his game. He's big, a very good skater and he's a terrific playmaker, one of the best to be drafted in recent years. He's got a good shot, too, as his junior numbers atest. (If you want to see a player stepping up his performance in the clutch, pop in a video of Staal's nine goals in seven games in 2003 with Peterborough). He's fantastic defensively, with hustle and anticipation. He's a gifted leader. He's not afraid to get involved physically. Staal will be one of the 10 best players in the NHL one day.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Staal.
Talent-wise they are pretty even as both are well on their way to become stars, although they play a very different game but because of longevity I give Staal the nod.

DuckTales22

Aug 3, 2005
Ruutu

My bias for those loveable quirky finns (especially women :D ) prevent me from making any rational decision.

But in all seriousness, I love Ruutu style of play,bothers to play defense, and has shown plenty of potentiol at the W.C., and his willingness to play physical (taking and giving hits).

He makes me wish I could hop in a delorian and have the Ducks draft him instead of Chistov.

Claypool_*

Anyone who takes Staal over Ruutu needs to get their head examined.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
OK.....So a lot of you haven't seen Tuomo play, apparently. And as far as comparisons, Ruutu is closer to Forsberg than Staal is to Modano.

Mr.Brownov*

Staal will have the longer career.Ruutu will have just as many points if not more in as many games as Eric.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
GaryU said:
OK.....So a lot of you haven't seen Tuomo play, apparently. And as far as comparisons, Ruutu is closer to Forsberg than Staal is to Modano.
same sentence applies to staal in reverse. no one watches staal play, dont tell me people do because im a canes fan - and i have few people to talk to these boards. i have center ice and watched both last season, i wouldnt say at this point it swings either way. ruuto is a more aggressive player with great skills, but the forsberg comparison is well......off. he plays a similar style but he isnt close to forsberg. staal is tall and lanky and has a similar stride to modano, but the comparison is equally off. his shot isnt anywhere near modano's at this point and he isnt a natural sniper to date. ruuto isnt close to forsbergs strength and has a way to go to develop to that level of playmaker.

neither guy is really a no 1 center coming into this season, but we'll see by the end which develpos quicker. i give the edge now to ruutu, because guys like staal need longer to grow into that lanky frame and tuomo is already a better skater which opens up everything to him now. over a career - i think it will come down to which does a better job of avoiding injuries, because at this point they are very close.

AgentNaslund*

Legionnaire said:

because he refered to stats instead rather then use real knowledge, or any type of scouting history from both players.

Anyone see Eric Staal play? During his draft year it sais, that his skills are NHL ready. I didnt really buy into that crap, the last prospect that actually had NHL ready skill set was Kovalchuk. Last time I saw him play was 2003 2004, right out of draft year btw, and he is definetly NHL ready. His skills are quite amazing for his age. His skating is not great tho, but man.... His skills are just awesome. I love this kid.

Staal gets my vote.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
God Bless Canada said:
(If you want to see a player stepping up his performance in the clutch, pop in a video of Staal's nine goals in seven games in 2003 with Peterborough).

You can also pop in a video of games 6 + 7 of the Petes, Gens series and see Horton put in both game winning goals to eliminate the Petes :sarcasm: :D

In all seriousness though I think that Staal will put up more points and play longer because of his style but I think that Ruutu will be the better all around play. They are both able to put up points as well as play responsible in their own end, but the physical play of Ruutu will make him stand out a bit more. I don't see how Staal is compared to Modano because from what I saw in the OHL and in the 03-04 season Staal doesn't play nearly as physical or skate as fast as Modano. I think that 5-10 years down the road Yzerman-Shannahan will be Staal-Ruutu

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Remax said:
Y I don't see how Staal is compared to Modano because from what I saw in the OHL and in the 03-04 season Staal doesn't play nearly as physical or skate as fast as Modano. I think that 5-10 years down the road Yzerman-Shannahan will be Staal-Ruutu
from watching staal ive liked the comparison of ron francis stuck in modano's body. he tends to wait for teamates instead of making moves, and usually makes the right play - a lot like ronnie. he reminds people of modo in body, but plays a francis game.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
bleedgreen said:
from watching staal ive liked the comparison of ron francis stuck in modano's body. he tends to wait for teamates instead of making moves, and usually makes the right play - a lot like ronnie. he reminds people of modo in body, but plays a francis game.

good one, I didn't think about the franchise. :clap:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Claypool said:
Anyone who takes Staal over Ruutu needs to get their head examined.
A brilliant, cohesive, well-thought-out argument. Which debate school did you go to?

It's not like Staal is some one-dimensional, floating offensive centre. He'll be as good defensively as offensively, he'll win faceoffs, and he's one of the best leaders from the past five drafts. (Mike Richards is the only one who comes to mind that's better). He won't be the physical force that Ruuttu will be, but Staal isn't afraid to get involved physically, stand in front of the net or battle in the corners.

The Francis comparisons actually started the year before Staal was drafted, long before he ever put on a Hurricanes jersey. (Then again, Francis has been the blue print for highly skilled, smart, two-way forwards for years).

One thing to keep in mind is that Staal is nearly two years younger than Ruuttu, thus Ruuttu should be the better player right now. Within five to seven years, though, Staal will not only be the better player, but in top-10 lists for best all-round player in the league.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
the title is who will have a better career.. imo its staal.. less injuries.. his style of play will let him play more..

however right now.. ruutu is the more complete player.. i like the comparisons of tuomo= forsberg staal= modano

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Bleedgreen, you're right. I've only seen Staal a few times. Certainly, I've seen Ruutu infinitely more. I suppose I'm thinking, 'Who could possibly be better than Tuomo'??? Staal's likely a very good player, but you knows it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad