Tukonen vs Bolland

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
More career NHL points? Who do you think has more of an offensive upside? Obivously I thought of this after the Hawks signed Bolland but was curious to see how the rest of you compare these two....

Lauri Tukonen vs Dave Bolland

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Altho I haven't seen Bolland ever play, id go with Tukonen as he is a safe bet to pan out and is much closer to NHL Action. It might seem that Bolland is just nitpicking on Schremps totals. Its a shame London didn't make it to the memorial cup, then I would've been able to make the judgement for myself.

As For Tukonen he'll develop into a future 2nd liner.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
Altho I haven't seen Bolland ever play, id go with Tukonen as he is a safe bet to pan out and is much closer to NHL Action. It might seem that Bolland is just nitpicking on Schremps totals.

Bolland is a very solid, if unspectacular player and would have put up good numbers even without Schremp this year. Good defense, hard working and can put up points. What he most needs for the NHL is a little more size and maybe some speed and he'll do just fine.

Probably a future second liner as well.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
I'd take Tukonen easily. While he probably won't develop into a great offensive player, has the size and tools to make a huge splash if he reaches potential.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bolland will help the PP either at the left (goalie's right) offensive zone circle or at the point--GREAT SHOT,good vision/anticipation/passing --however 5x5 he does not put as much energy into back-checking and doesn't move from spots enough in his own zone--though London used him as a PK'er too,I'm not convinced he can do that well enough at the NHL level ...his greatest attribute is to get goals and assists with more open ice on the PP--that's where he is best. He'll need to work on his 5x5 defense at the AHL level before he's NHL ready for the top two lines...playing him as a third or fourth line checker makes no sense at all..so he'll be in Norfolk till he's ready for top two line attack duty in Chicago... needs to improve strength and effort defensively 5x5...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not especially high on either one, but I'd lean towards Bolland because I think he's a slightly safer bet to be a contributing NHL player. Tukonen might have a slight edge in potential, but I don't think he'll reach it.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Dr Quincy said:
I'm not especially high on either one, but I'd lean towards Bolland because I think he's a slightly safer bet to be a contributing NHL player. Tukonen might have a slight edge in potential, but I don't think he'll reach it.
Tukonen is only 19 years old and still managed to put up 36 points as a rookie in the AHL. He will turn 20 on Sept. 1, he's still got plenty of time to improve, so what exactly makes you think he wont reach his potential?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Crosby=Gretzky said:
Is Lehtinen a good comparison for Tukonen? And who could you compare Bolland to?

Not really. I'd say Marco Sturm at best.

I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone Bolland reminds me of. Roenick when he was in Phoenix, but without the serious edge? :dunno:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Legionnaire said:

I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone Bolland reminds me of. Roenick when he was in Phoenix, but without the serious edge? :dunno:

I'd say a player like Chris Drury. Perhaps not a franchise #1 center, but still a great #2 pivot who plays well in all facets of the game and can score when called upon. Bolland is pretty dangerous and effective on both special teams already.

spook

Oct 15, 2005
Bolland

You may find this interesting that the ratio of shots per game between Shremp & Bolland were as follows:

5-1 in Shremps favour yet Bolland tied him in regular season goals and tripled his in the playoffs even after missing 4 games.

As for defensive play you are going to have to watch him play before making these comments, probably one of the most responsible forwards in his own end in the OHL, ask Shanny he mentioned it on TV during the WJ.

If Bolland work on his strength during the sumer he will be in the NHL for the 3006-2007 season, Talon believes that he is ready other than his physical strength.

Bolland and Shremp realy only played together on the PP and rearly on the 5-5.

I think the biggest issue this year was that Bolland played so much PP & PK being the first man on the ice when we were down to 3 players on the PK that he did not play that much 5-5 as was the same with Dylan Hunter.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Reaper45 said:
Tukonen is only 19 years old and still managed to put up 36 points as a rookie in the AHL. He will turn 20 on Sept. 1, he's still got plenty of time to improve, so what exactly makes you think he wont reach his potential?

I saw him play live against the Lock Monsters and on tv for Manchester a few more times. I wasn't impressed with him. He has nice size, no doubt, and he showed good grit in standing in front of the net setting screens, but I didn't see anything else that stood out at the AHL level. He was also fairly quiet in the 2005 WJCs.
I wasn't impressed with either his skating or his passing.

Based on his size and point totals in prior years I think he has potential, and power fowards do take a while to round out there game. I also wasn't impressed with another Kings PF prospect at first (Brian Boyle) but now I think he's a very good prospect.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Legionnaire said:

I dont' see the Sturm comparison. Sturm's skating speed and style of play is totally different from Tukonen. If he pans out I'd say Tukonen is a more skilled Holmstrom or a less skilled Ryan Smyth.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Dr Quincy said:
He was also fairly quiet in the 2005 WJCs.

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...ata/iihf/output/xml/55/IHM055Z12_85B_1_0.html

R --Name---------Team---Pos.---GP---G---A---PTS---PIM----Pos---Neg---+/-
1 KESSEL Phil------USA----F-----7----1---10---11-----2------6-----6------ 0
2 MALKIN Evgeni---RUS----F-----6----4----6---10-----12-----8-----3----- +5
3 TUKONEN Lauri---FIN----F-----7----3----7---10------0-----10----1----- +9

Tukonen was ranked third in scoring behind Malkin and Kessel......they must have been fairly quiet as well. :shakehead

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Dr Quincy said:
Wow that's really cool. Next time try reading what I said. I said the 2005 WJCs. :shakehead

Here's a link to the scoring leaders: http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen.../xml/1000000020/IHM1000000020Z12_85B_1_0.html

So basically he was 3rd in scoring in the tournament only 4 months ago....but you are going to base your opinion on him from what he did over a year ago? Going by that logic Vasyunov should be the #1 pick in the draft this year because he dominated everyone in the Russian Junior league like 2 years ago. :shakehead

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Spongebob said:
So basically he was 3rd in scoring in the tournament only 4 months ago....but you are going to base your opinion on him from what he did over a year ago? Going by that logic Vasyunov should be the #1 pick in the draft this year because he dominated everyone in the Russian Junior league like 2 years ago. :shakehead

If you go back you see that I was asked why I didn't think that he'd develop as highly as others thought. I was going off the times I'd seen him play. Those included a couple of live games and a few times on tv. The times included games from as recent as 2 months ago AND the 2005 WJCs. Since I didn't recall seeing him in this year's WJC (there were less televised games this year) I didn't bother talking about it. I suppose I could have just gone by the points totals and determined that he was destined for absolute greatness, but that didn't make sense to me, especially since he finished behind Kessel and yet there are plenty of people who don't think Kessel is going to reach his full potential either.

I'm sorry for bothering to offer an opinion based on actually watching a guy play. From now on I'll just look at stat sheets and declare all your favorite players to be 10.0A ratings guys.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Spongebob said:

Oh BTW how many times have you seen Tukonen play live? On TV in the AHL?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Dr Quincy said:
I dont' see the Sturm comparison. Sturm's skating speed and style of play is totally different from Tukonen. If he pans out I'd say Tukonen is a more skilled Holmstrom or a less skilled Ryan Smyth.

So you see him as a 2nd liner, most likely?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad