Tukonen or Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I think I know how this will go, but, I hope that we can get some people in here who have ACTUALLY SEEN THEM BOTH PLAY and get some feed back on various opinions. Please dont even bother posting if you havent seen both of these players on several different occasions because its alot closer than some of you might think based on the recent WJHC's. They are both RWers, both higher picks in their draft years. What do you guys think about them or one of them, who do you think will be better offensively, defensively, overall etc... Opinions please.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
hahha

setoguchi is a awesome playmaker...goes balls to the walls also.

I really like him.

Can see him being an assist machine.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The comparison is a bit difficult because they play in such different leagues. IMO, Tukonen will come to the NHL before Setoguchi because he has experience playing with men in both Finland and now in the AHL. Admitedly, I have seen Setoguchi more times than Tukonen, and while I have caught Tukonen with the Monarchs, I have only seen tapes of Tukonen's time in Finland. Already, he has a more polished and mature skillset. Setoguchi and Tukonen are both average defensively, although I would give the slight edge to Setoguchi. I think Tukonen could have used some more time in Finland, however.

Tukonen is much more consistent, and uses his 6'2 frame very effectively along the boards. He is not afraid to be physical, either. His only mistake in the offensive zone is that he tries to do too much. Since being drafted, Tukonen has progressed in his offensive prowess, but has not taken any visible steps to correct the flaws in his game. If he irons out the few kinks in his game, he could be a great second-line forward. I think he lacks the top-end talent to play on the first line.

Setoguchi is more well-rounded offensively; he is a better playmaker. Though small, he possesses a mean streak, and is very Mike Ricci-esque on the ice with his grittiness. Very tough mentally, Setoguchi is a game breaker. Unlike Tukonen, Setoguchi has worked on his flaws; he has gained muscle, plays more physical, and is a more dedicated backchecker than when he was drafted. No doubt, San Jose told him to make changes, and he did. Like Tukonen, he has a tendency to do too much on the ice; Setoguchi often overestimates his stickhandling skills, and he still has to learn to pick his spots offensively. When he is at his best, Setoguchi more than justifies his draft position, and looks like he could be a bona-fide top line winger. When slumping, he does not look like a first round pick. So unlike Tukonen, who is a safe bet to at least play on the third line, Setoguchi has a distinct chance of never cracking an NHL roster.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Thanks super. I like your description of both players. I too have seen more of seto than of tukonen. Ive probably seen Seto like 10 times and Tukonen 5-6 times and only ever in the WJHC, so Im not totally knowledgeable of him yet. But, I think that Seto is the better prospect. I don't really see Seto not making the NHL or Tukonen really; I think Setoguchi will either be anywhere from 1st line to 3rd line in the NHL and if I were to guess, Id say 1st line. Ive only ever really seen him play 1 bad game out of those 10 games, and like you said, hes balls to the wall every game. Hes a tough SOB and hes got some wheels to him, a big slapper, some decent hands and a decent shot. I think he'll be a 1st liner and I think Tukonen will be a 2nd liner. Tukonen just seems like he has a bit of a presence on the ice, or at least he did when he was on the WJHC team. Though this might have been cause it seemed like he was a man among boys in the WJHC, this last year especially. I think his speed is underrated and he just plays a solid game. Not real flashy, pretty big shot and a bit of a banger when hes at his best. I agree he doesnt have top line talent but we'll see I guess.

I am not sure who makes the NHL first, theres a decent chance they both make it next year, but I dont really see Tukonen NOT making it next year, so I guess since theres the chance Seto doesnt next year, that Tukonen gets the nod there. I could see Setoguchi lining up beside Joe Thornton in 3-4 years if hes still in SJ mind you. I also think Setoguchi can score more goals if he just shot the puck more. Its a decent comparison, though it is hard to compare.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
One other rumor I think is close to being put to rest about Seto is his inconsistency. I dunno why this has followed him around this long. Well actually I do, its from his Febuary last year where he scored 3 pts in like a month, but if you were to watch his game this year and all other times last year, hes been no less consistent than any solid NHLer. Hes only had one bad streak this year where he went pointless in 4 games, which is a slump, but a very minor one.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Eb0la11 said:
One other rumor I think is close to being put to rest about Seto is his inconsistency. I dunno why this has followed him around this long. Well actually I do, its from his Febuary last year where he scored 3 pts in like a month, but if you were to watch his game this year and all other times last year, hes been no less consistent than any solid NHLer. Hes only had one bad streak this year where he went pointless in 4 games, which is a slump, but a very minor one.

Agreed, I don't think consistency is a problem anymore. At least I hope so.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Thanks for the topic and the replys. I'm very interested in both players, as I'm fortunate enough to have both as prospects in a FHLSIM keeper league based on NHL stats.

Good info on both. In my little private FHLSIM world, I hope to have them together as linemates in 3 or 4 years with a Flippula centering them. Could be a fun line.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
They're both very intriguing prospects, I guess Jonathan Cheechoo is a good comparison to Setoguchi and Jokinen to Tukonen.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
They're both very intriguing prospects, I guess Jonathan Cheechoo is a good comparison to Setoguchi and Jokinen to Tukonen.

Setoguchi = Cheechoo + high level skating ability. Now thats scary. Not only that, but Setoguchi can stickhandle very effectively while going at high speeds. A potentially very sick combination.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Yeah Superroyain. I think Setoguchi is quite underrated in alot of lists etc... I dont see many prospects that have the same puck pursuit as this kid. When he picks his spots its crazy to see him fly. He goes after a puck like nothing else and if he happens to not get there in time to win the race he just nails the guy that beat him. Hes got some wheels thats for sure. Great player. I think Id take Setoguchi over Tukonen, but its tough to say right now, and especially after Tukonens WJHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad