Tukonen makes statement: 3G+1A today (FIN 9 NOR 0)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by hawksfan50, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. hawksfan50

hawksfan50 Registered User

.........at the World U-18...

You know--2 years ago on this board the discussions (before anyone heard of Malkin) always included Lauri Tukonen along with Ovechkin and Olesz and Barker as the favourites to go in the first few picks at the top of the '04 draft.......Tukonen has been coming on strong in the 2nd half of this year (he was very good at the %nations U-18 in Feb. and today he explodes against Norway at the World u-18......

CHI has a tough choice with the #3 pick --but to many (including me) Olesz has not fulfilled his promise this year,there are questions about Chipchura as a finisher,about Schremp in size,skating and physical play,in Radulov ( attitude and skating)--though schremp and Radulov are probably the 2 best "natural" finishers in the draft..........BUT if Tukonen is finally emerging with the promise everyone projected for him 2 years ago,the he might just be vaulting himself into that #3 spot
    --so if it is an easy consensus of Ovechkin and Malkin 1-02,the really tough decision goes to CHI at #3.......there is a lot to choose from,no clear consensus.....but Tallon has stated he wants above all good character guys with skill AND physical play --maybe the guy at forward that best fits is Tukonen?

2. ZombieMatt

ZombieMatt Registered User

I agree with you that Tukonen has performed great and should get consideration as a top five pick (consideration, I'm not saying he will go in the top five) but citing a big game against Norway isn't the best way to verify it. No offence to Norweigan hockey fans, but they're not the biggest powerhouse on the international scene.

3. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    No chance Tukonen goes #3 overall. None.

4. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    You can say all you want about Chipchura being ranked #1 among North American skaters, but by no means is he going in the Top 5, and I wouldn't count on him in the Top 10-15.

5. Jeff Shafer

Jeff Shafer Established: 1987

Home Page:
    I dont know about that man the Panthers look mighty good draft Tukonen at the 7th spot...

6. rangers

rangers Registered User

student
    Home Page:
    Ouch..we still have a long way to go :banghead:

7. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Kyle Chipchura --- > Dmitri Chernykh.

8. Kritty

Kritty Registered User

Home Page:
    Are you serious? You are bragging about Tukonen based on a game against Norway? Come on now. When he puts up those numbers against top competition then you can say something. That's like people hyping up top prospects when they play Belarus, Kazahkstan and all these other weak teams out there. It's meaningless.

9. jmelm

jmelm Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    I'm not sure tha Andrew Ladd is getting enough credit around here. He seemed to get better and better all season long and had a really strong finish. And he proved he could do it by himself (when Getzlaf was at the WJCs). Barker has also just been on fire of late.

He has definitely overtaken Chipchura, and he and Barker should both receive serious consideration for that pick.

10. meds09

meds09 Registered User

Don't forget though, Ladd is a year older than Chipchura. In the long run Chipchura will definatly overtake Ladd as the better pro.

11. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    To say that Chipchura will be better because he is younger is a fallacy.

Based on Chipchura being a year younger??

If that were the case, then I'm sure NHL clubs would select Chipchura over Ladd, something that definitely will not happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.