Tukkonen v Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kings16 said:
As for the NYR taking Montoya, I felt on draft day that it was a foolish move by a team that too recently had used a 1st rounder on Blackburn. There must be something about NY that has GM's squandering high 1st rounders on goalies.

Well, when your top goaltending prospect might have a career ending injury, you tend to look for a new top goaltending prospect. Generally that's how teams do it ;).

Blackburn had the potential to be a franchise goalie and was easily the #1 goaltending prospect of any team until he was injured, which, frankly, is a shame. He's got a GREAT head on his shoulders and is practicing in the ECHL right now (at least he was schedualed to) after like a year and a half without play. We'll know soon if he has the capabilities of playing at a high level again, soon enough. He was ULTRA talented and had great character.

IMO Montoya is a decent step below Blackburn (pre-injury) talent and head wise.

Kings16

Jun 30, 2004
Reveille! said:
Well, when your top goaltending prospect might have a career ending injury, you tend to look for a new top goaltending prospect. Generally that's how teams do it ;).

Blackburn had the potential to be a franchise goalie and was easily the #1 goaltending prospect of any team until he was injured, which, frankly, is a shame. He's got a GREAT head on his shoulders and is practicing in the ECHL right now (at least he was schedualed to) after like a year and a half without play. We'll know soon if he has the capabilities of playing at a high level again, soon enough. He was ULTRA talented and had great character.

IMO Montoya is a decent step below Blackburn (pre-injury) talent and head wise.
I know I'm getting of the main topic here ...

I hear what you are saying (well put), but if I'm a NYR fan that has made a habit of trading away prospects and leaving the fridge empty, I'd be pissed that the GM has missed out on getting 2 solid forward prospects. Instead, he rushes Blackburn and then he drafts Montoya who had 1 (read 1) outstanding college year and WJC. Someone got caught up in the hype and the Rangers fans will have to pay the price.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kings16 said:
I know I'm getting of the main topic here ...

I hear what you are saying (well put), but if I'm a NYR fan that has made a habit of trading away prospects and leaving the fridge empty, I'd be pissed that the GM has missed out on getting 2 solid forward prospects. Instead, he rushes Blackburn and then he drafts Montoya who had 1 (read 1) outstanding college year and WJC. Someone got caught up in the hype and the Rangers fans will have to pay the price.

Blackburns injury has NOTHING to do with rushing him. It was a freak injury lifting weights in the off-season. I think Blackburn was better then Montoya, but what can ya do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->