Post-Game Talk: Tue., Nov. 12, 2013|Flyers 5 at Senators 0

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
national press newspaper-''suddenly flyers look like contender"

I enjoyed the win as much as anyone else, but it was just one game and the Sens aren't exactly world beaters. Besides after being so bad, when we do win other fans bases go into melt down about losing to us. If that's the small enjoyment I can eke out of that horrible start then I don't want to lose it after one game.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I prefer to see the Flyers on the road.....they haven't been a good home team for some time now. They seem to simplify their game on the road. This stretch might be good for them but typically too many road games will wear on a team.

Wiqkid*

I gotta say that I LOVE our top 9. Wish we could keep them all when they play like they should.

Hartnell - G - Vorabeast
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmer
Downie - Cooter - Read

Honestly, all homerism aside, how the hell do you stop that when they are all on?

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Gotta agree with others, it was a step in the right direction, but I am not yet ready to call us contenders.

Tomorrow night should be a good check.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would like to say that Rosehill had an absolutely great game last night.

I have been a pretty big critic of him, but he was very impressive in limited minutes, he made two beautiful zone entries and was giving his all on the forechecking.

Last night was like watching the Blues or Bruins at times, (as Edmonton was at times as well, though not to the same extent) relentless pressure creating a lot of offence. That was how I expected them to play when Berube took over, hopefully it continues, that kind of hockey is exciting as hell even when your team loses.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Played with confidence, tenacity, and hunger. 60 minute effort, all 4 lines played some great hockey, masdog with another big game, and besides the obvious studs tonight, props to Gus for playing a great game, really liked his play last night

Firehockey

Jul 2, 2013
ottawa looked horrible, the 5 on 5 looked like a flyers powerplay most of the times, loved it:yo:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Voice of the pessimist: trade them all now that they look good! :sarcasm:

It's ridiculous how a team can look like they are playing in their street clothes one night and then come out and completely dominate an opponent so soon thereafter.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I gotta say that I LOVE our top 9. Wish we could keep them all when they play like they should.

Hartnell - G - Vorabeast
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmer
Downie - Cooter - Read

Honestly, all homerism aside, how the hell do you stop that when they are all on?

Easy. Put the Bruins top 9 in front of them.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I would like to say that Rosehill had an absolutely great game last night.

I have been a pretty big critic of him, but he was very impressive in limited minutes, he made two beautiful zone entries and was giving his all on the forechecking.

Agree. I've been amazed at how well the fourth line has played these past couple of games. As much as we love when Rinaldo drills someone, it's nice to see him, Hall, and Rosehill actually forechecking with the purpose of possessing the puck. Hopefully they keep it up.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Let's see if this team can get back to 0.500 before we start talking about whether or not they can be contenders. The November schedule is the type of schedule that could see the team move up the standings, but they have to do the work to win those games.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Let's see if this team can get back to 0.500 before we start talking about whether or not they can be contenders. The November schedule is the type of schedule that could see the team move up the standings, but they have to do the work to win those games.

Yup. If they really are a quality team, then they should be well above .500 for the month of November. There are a lot of games in there that good teams win.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Shutout! SHUTOUT FOR MASON! **** YES! Serious, a great win for the Flyers. Best win of the season.

I agree a very nice team win. Rome was not built in a day and I still think this team is about a year away from being a very serious contender. Funny how a lot of people are quick to write off our young players. Let them grow together and keep adding to the young core. There will be bumps along the way but you need to keep the faith!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think the biggest thing for us, if we do become a contender is that Mason is stay as good as he is now for the rest of the season, I'd say so more than offense, even though that's been lacking.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Jeez two good games after this atrocious start and people are talking about contending? We shouldn't even be thinking about playoffs yet, lets just focus on one game at a time and hopefully we can get near .500. We've looked good, but teams are still overlooking us. Today's game should be a good measuring stick.

Don't raise your expectations so high yet, we've seen how disappointing this team can be. I hope they've turned the corner though.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Jeez two good games after this atrocious start and people are talking about contending? We shouldn't even be thinking about playoffs yet, lets just focus on one game at a time and hopefully we can get near .500. We've looked good, but teams are still overlooking us. Today's game should be a good measuring stick.

Don't raise your expectations so high yet, we've seen how disappointing this team can be. I hope they've turned the corner though.

That's why I said "if".

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
all 4 lines played great last night. but sheesh, ottawa's d has been questionable all year. the kind of turnover that led to the vinny goal has been happening to them all year. let's see them do it again against pittsburgh. could be a real turning point for the season.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I actually think Berube has changed his system a little bit. For the first 10 or so games of his tenure he was using the 1-4, where he had one guy going hard on the forecheck(we routinely were outnumbered and our game was horrible). The last two games I have watched we have been sending two guys down low and the center(usually) will stay high in the slot to the side of the forecheck. 2-1-2 seems to be working pretty damn well right now. Especially with our forecheckers skating hard and hitting. The cycle game has improved as well because of this, two guys below the line always means you might get outnumbered on a breakout, but it's nice to have the center usually floating there in case that happens. It has been extremely effective recently.

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
Lavy was a lover of the left wing lock.

His own version of it though. He had everyone forechecking, active D at offensive blue line all the time. Absolutely killed the team's defensive play.

Berube has changed the whole system from what I can see.

edit: Its still evolving obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad