Tucson Roadrunners (AHL) Discussion

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I’d like to see Jenik, Hayton and Soderstrom called up towards the end of the year and get them in a few games here and there. Tucson is a bigger tire fire than the Coyotes

Soderstrom will stay down until the last four games or so. If he does, his ELC contract slides (essentially is extended) a year.

Tendeck and Prosvetov should stabilize Tucson. They outshot the league's best team 45 to 30 and lost by a goal tonight.

Reactions: moosemeister

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Hayton has 5 points in 16 games in the AHL. Not looking too good for a top 5 pick.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Yes but he was a ppg in his last 5. He’s got work to do to advance his skating. He’s still an A prospect.
Agree completely on this. Just because he needs some more seasoning to get to the next level doesn’t takeaway his potential ceiling.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bunting takes 6 years in the A and he’s everyone’s darling today.
It happens all the time around here. All the new boy toys can do no wrong and are everyone' darling, but I was a bit worried about Hayton right from day one. If he would have been drafted late in the first round (I think that is where BA had him) I don't think I would be as worried or care as much, but a top five pick for a team desperate for talent and who hasn't shown much it hurts our depth big time. That and not having a first rounder last year and this year makes it all the worse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agree completely on this. Just because he needs some more seasoning to get to the next level doesn’t takeaway his potential ceiling.
This is true for most players, but not one's drafted top 5. There is no sugar coating this, Hayton has been a disappointment. What do you think his potential ceiling is?

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
This is true for most players, but not one's drafted top 5. There is no sugar coating this, Hayton has been a disappointment. What do you think his potential ceiling is?
People on these boards have a weird obsession with writing players off after 1-2 years after they are drafted. I think every player is unique. Every situation a player is drafted into is unique as well.

As for Hayton’s ceiling... I think he has the potential to be a moderate 1C. I don’t think he has the potential to be in the Top 15 centers in this league, but I believe he could still become a serviceable 1C for this team.

Reactions: PuckLife

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It happens all the time around here. All the new boy toys can do no wrong and are everyone' darling, but I was a bit worried about Hayton right from day one. If he would have been drafted late in the first round (I think that is where BA had him) I don't think I would be as worried or care as much, but a top five pick for a team desperate for talent and who hasn't shown much it hurts our depth big time. That and not having a first rounder last year and this year makes it all the worse.
I had Hayton at 11. Said he’d be a second round C. I didn’t think he had top line capability until i saw him with his peers at World Juniors. And then he got hurt.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I had Hayton at 11. Said he’d be a second round C. I didn’t think he had top line capability until i saw him with his peers at World Juniors. And then he got hurt.
Based on what I've seen in the Soo and world juniors, I still think he has that upside. There's a real risk that the Coyotes could wreck him. Really questioning the Coyotes deveopment. Is it Tocchet or lack of development staff, or both?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Based on what I've seen in the Soo and world juniors, I still think he has that upside. There's a real risk that the Coyotes could wreck him. Really questioning the Coyotes deveopment. Is it Tocchet or lack of development staff, or both?
Development of forwards has been a huge problem for this organization, spanning multiple eras.

Maloney and Gretz rushed kids that were half baked.

Tip wouldn't play kids when they needed minutes.

Tocchet is very reluctant to play kids, especially if they aren't quick (see Strome and Hayton).

Keller, Dvorak, Fischer, Garland and finally Bunting have established themselves on the roster. We still expect more from the first three. Garland and Bunting have exceeded all expectations but they forced Tocchet's hand by being too good to send down.

Reactions: Grimes and XX

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
People on these boards have a weird obsession with writing players off after 1-2 years after they are drafted. I think every player is unique. Every situation a player is drafted into is unique as well.

As for Hayton’s ceiling... I think he has the potential to be a moderate 1C. I don’t think he has the potential to be in the Top 15 centers in this league, but I believe he could still become a serviceable 1C for this team.
What gives you that belief?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe, just maybe, Hayton does not have the talent as some believe. He wouldn't be the first one drafted at 5OA to shit the bed, and he won't be the last.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I read or heard that BA had him in the 20's first round.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think thats pure speculation. My list is normally flawed. I dont claim to be a pro scout. I just like having an opinion.
Your list is as good or better than most. You watch the kids more than most, and I on the other hand just look at their stats.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad