Tucson Roadrunners (AHL) Discussion

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Bakersfield sweeps the Friday/Saturday series 3-2 and 4-1. Prosvetov with the loss on Friday and Hill on Saturday.

I was at the game on Saturday, and Bakersfield was dominant. Hill was fine, but nothing special. The RR's power play was a hot mess......barely able to set-up, much less to be a real threat.

Kelly Klima was the best player on the ice for the RR's for the first 30 minutes (not a good sign), and was rewarded with a snipe goal early in the 2nd. Chaput, Faching, Martin and Gregoire were grinding with big bodies and some skill, but no reward. Pederson was injured and out. Disappointed that Bunting didn't show much. Was hoping for more offense from veterans Miele and Bennett.

Game got chippy, and threatened to get out of hand, but eventually not so.

Hoping for a better showing next time the wife and I get down to the arena.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
For the second weekend in a row, the Roadrunners were swept at home Friday and Saturday. They salvaged a point on Saturday with a shootout loss.

Friday they lost 4-3 to the Colorado Eagles. Prosvetov with 34 saves on 38 shots. Goals from Bunting, Steenbergen and Ness.

Saturday they lost in a shootout to the Eagles 3-2. Goals from Bunting and Dineen. Prosvetov with 30 saves on 32 shots.

Back at it Wednesday in Bakersfield, the first of 6 straight games on the road. Hopefully they can find their game again with the challenge of a long road trip.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Man sometimes I wish this thread wasn't stickied, not because it's not worthy but for whatever reason I tend to completely forget about stickied threads and as a result usually forget to check in here regularly for updates.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Roadrunners trailing 4-2 after two periods.

Hayton has one of the two goals unassisted on a 2 on 0 break.

edit... the goal...

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Are the Roadrunners playing the same system as the Yotes? I just wonder because what would be the odds that they start struggling mightily at right around the same time as the parent club.

If they do... Does that mean the system has flaws or has been figured out and the book on how to beat it is readily available?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are the Roadrunners playing the same system as the Yotes? I just wonder because what would be the odds that they start struggling mightily at right around the same time as the parent club.

If they do... Does that mean the system has flaws or has been figured out and the book on how to beat it is readily available?

Tampa changed their deployment and philosophy against the Coyotes, handing them one of the worst losses of the year Jan 9th. It was a comprehensive dismantling of a team that had just won 4 in a row. Tampa talked openly on their broadcast about keeping guys back to support the puck and limiting the Coyotes chances off the rush.

Roadrunners are 3-8 since that date.
The Coyotes have gone 2-6-3 since that date.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Tampa changed their deployment and philosophy against the Coyotes, handing them one of the worst losses of the year Jan 9th. It was a comprehensive dismantling of a team that had just won 4 in a row. Tampa talked openly on their broadcast about keeping guys back to support the puck and limiting the Coyotes chances off the rush.

Roadrunners are 3-8 since that date.
The Coyotes have gone 2-6-3 since that date.

Definitely seems like relation between the AHL and NHL squads there.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Roadrunners are currently up 4-0 after two periods. Barrett Hayton has assists on two of the goals.

Ontario with 7 penalties so far to the Roadrunners one.

SOG so far 34-11 in favor of Tucson. They open the third period with a power play.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Roadrunners up 5-1.

Goals: Chaput (11), Burke (18,19), Fasching (16), Dineen (4)

Assists: Hayton (1,2,3), Fasching (11,12), Capobianco (18,19), Chaput (9), Bunting (33)

Still 4 something minutes remaining in the game. They certainly will break the losing streak unlike the big club who can't buy a win.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Roadrunners up 5-1.

Goals: Chaput (11), Burke (18,19), Fasching (16), Dineen (4)

Assists: Hayton (1,2,3), Fasching (11,12), Capobianco (18,19), Chaput (9), Bunting (33)

Still 4 something minutes remaining in the game. They certainly will break the losing streak unlike the big club who can't buy a win.

Ended the losing streak in a big fashion!

5-1 final. Tyler Parks with 21 saves on 22 shots.

Time to turn this around.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Also, just wanted to say that Capobianco plays completely different in Tucson than he does when he's up with the Coyotes. I just don't understand why he can't just do the same things at the big level, maybe he's just going to take some time, but he could be a real asset to the team if he could figure out how to translate what he does in Tucson up with the big club.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Also, just wanted to say that Capobianco plays completely different in Tucson than he does when he's up with the Coyotes. I just don't understand why he can't just do the same things at the big level, maybe he's just going to take some time, but he could be a real asset to the team if he could figure out how to translate what he does in Tucson up with the big club.

Hard to get your sea legs when you're paired with someone bad and/or you get yoinked the moment you make a single mistake.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I like to see how Prosvetov now has a .928 save percentage in 19 games. To compare with other goalies, one Binnington had a .927 in 16 games for his AHL team last season, before he was called up.

I know Prosvetov is young. But talk to me.:arr:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Many players have dominated at the AHL level but do squat in the NHL.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I like to see how Prosvetov now has a .928 save percentage in 19 games. To compare with other goalies, one Binnington had a .927 in 16 games for his AHL team last season, before he was called up.

I know Prosvetov is young. But talk to me.:arr:

He lost five in a row. ‘Nuff said. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad