Injury Report: Tuch out week-to-week, UBI

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I talked about how injuries happen and Pirri and Zykov could get more opportunities.

But this could mean they leave Roy or Glass in the lineup.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't like this new tradition, Alex.

So what now?
Carrier-Eakin-Zykov
Nosek-Roy-Reaves

is my guess based on needing another PK guy in the bottom 6

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
UBI. Could be a rib, shoulder, neck, elbow, wrist, finger, or concussion. (I guess strictly speaking pregnancy would be UBI as well, but not something he'd have to worry about.)

Lots to speculate about.

My guess is he gets put on IR and that opens up a roster spot for someone to start the season.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Here we go again. The team won’t tell us almost anything. An upper body injury?

“Ouch!”

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m in a lot of pain! I think it’s an upper body injury!”

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's like that with almost every team in the league.

Anyway, maybe someday Tuch will get to play th first game of a season.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Here we go again. The team won’t tell us almost anything. An upper body injury?

“Ouch!”

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m in a lot of pain! I think it’s an upper body injury!”
They don't want other teams to be able to target a players injuries when they get back so they keep them intentionally vague.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If Eakin isn't ready for the opener, might we see something...'creative' with the lineup?

And by creative I mean potentially disastrous like Engelland at forward and Holden in.

I'm not sure how opening day cap works if you try to go with 20 players for the Tuesday deadline then call up 2 before the game to be cap compliant. 'Day 1' starts Wednesday at 12EST right?
Paging @mouser

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If Eakin isn't ready for the opener, might we see something...'creative' with the lineup?

And by creative I mean potentially disastrous like Engelland at forward and Holden in.

I'm not sure how opening day cap works if you try to go with 20 players for the Tuesday deadline then call up 2 before the game to be cap compliant. 'Day 1' starts Wednesday at 12EST right?
Paging @mouser

If Eakin isn't ready to go Wednesday, they can put him on IR retroactive to Friday. That opens a space and leaves the ability for Eakin to return as soon as right after VGK@SJS.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If Eakin isn't ready to go Wednesday, they can put him on IR retroactive to Friday. That opens a space and leaves the ability for Eakin to return as soon as right after VGK@SJS.

Yeah you can exceed the roster limitations with IR but not the cap.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

You're right, I was just thinking in terms of roster space. As mentioned in another thread, LTIR could be used to mitigate this....If it's concussion protocol, there is a solid chance Tuch misses at least a month anyway.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

How does this work for us? We are only about 55k under the cap with 23, when you add Roy and Schuldt, doesn't that put us at 1.3M over?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
How does this work for us? We are only about 55k under the cap with 23, when you add Roy and Schuldt, doesn't that put us at 1.3M over?

Unless a player is LTIR'd to increase your cap limit, that's the way I see it.

I guess we could also go without spares and take our chances :confused:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Unless a player is LTIR'd to increase your cap limit, that's the way I see it.

I guess we could also go without spares and take our chances :confused:

Do we have to deal with those summer LTIR things we heard about with Clarkson? Would all of our bonuses need to be paid on this cap?

It seems totally different situations but we would still technically have a player on LTIR day one.

I think they could do what you say and go with Holden as the only extra for at least the Sharks games so as to avoid the summer LTIR.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Do we have to deal with those summer LTIR things we heard about with Clarkson? Would all of our bonuses need to be paid on this cap?

It seems totally different situations but we would still technically have a player on LTIR day one.

I think they could do what you say and go with Holden as the only extra for at least the Sharks games so as to avoid the summer LTIR.

A player doesn't have to be out for the entire year to qualify as LTIR. It only takes 10 games and 24 days. So, if Tuch IS LTIR, it's only going to be (or at least it only has to be) until he's well enough to play after the 9/25 Colorado game.

Apparently, waiting until opening day to declare LTIR would allow VGK to maximize available cap space....

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A player doesn't have to be out for the entire year to qualify as LTIR. It only takes 10 games and 24 days. So, if Tuch IS LTIR, it's only going to be (or at least it only has to be) until he's well enough to play after the 9/25 Colorado game.

But does it matter if he is on LTIR to begin the season? I know that was an issue with Clarkson and it was going to cause headaches throughout the year if they did. Is it the same with Tuch? And can we avoid that by not having to use it until after the season opener?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
But does it matter if he is on LTIR to begin the season? I know that was an issue with Clarkson and it was going to cause headaches throughout the year if they did. Is it the same with Tuch? And can we avoid that by not having to use it until after the season opener?

If they put him on LTIR tomorrow, what will probably happen is 2 kids get sent down to get under the cap, then Tuch goes on LTIR, then the kids are called back up on Wed and have around 3m available to temporarily exceed the cap.

Then it's back to business as usual if/when Tuch returns in late October (hopefully)

Ultimately it sounds like a little less cap dinero to play with at the deadline, and it shouldn't be a big handcuff to things like performance bonuses like the Clarkson situation was.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If they put him on LTIR tomorrow, what will probably happen is 2 kids get sent down to get under the cap, then Tuch goes on LTIR, then the kids are called back up on Wed and have around 3m available to temporarily exceed the cap.

Then it's back to business as usual if/when Tuch returns in late October (hopefully)

Ultimately it sounds like a little less cap dinero to play with at the deadline, and it shouldn't be a big handcuff to things like performance bonuses like the Clarkson situation was.
This sounds exactly right to what I read in the rules, at least to the extent I could understand them. GMs earn their salaries.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LTIR = miss 10 games minimum. Can exceed cap by cap hit of player out. But you bank $0 extra cap dollars if you are over the cap.

IR = out at least 7 days.

PERFORMANCE BONUSES - can be rolled over to next season. (Signing bonuses count against this season's cap.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
MInor update, he's on LTIR, so is out at least another week.

Have not heard any reports of him skating, so think this might be a longer term injury.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
To be truthful, I'm ecstatic that Zykov and Glass are both getting ice time, as both are playing hard and earning it. There is going to be a tough decision when Tuch is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->