TSR's 2011 Mid-Term Top 60 Skaters

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I don't know what would make him think that. Biggs skating is very solid for his size. His strength is getting better and better. I don't see anything that would hold him back from playing his style at the NHL level at all.

We'll see what happens then! People will have differing opinions on everything. I liked Biggs when he was with the Jr. Canadiens and at the U-17's, but I haven't seen him since then. So for stuff like this, I go with our USHL guy. If you disagree with that, that's the beauty of differing opinions!

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
this will be the first draft class where im older than the 1st year eligible players, ohh man

im high on Puempel, but number 5?

I know hes been picking it up lately and plays on a bad Petes team but one could even argue hes not even over Saad let alone Murphy and Siemens

I've seen Puempel, Saad and Murphy a ton, and I would consider myself to be pretty critical of Puempel, but there's not much doubt who's better between him or Saad. We had Saad higher before, but I saw him a couple more times after we put out our OHL rankings, and between that and watching him on TV, I'm really souring on him.

Saad has absolutely no grit in his game. There's a major misconception that he's a power forward, but I've barely seen him throw a hit, yet alone win puck battles against defensemen. He's good on the outside, and he's quick, but he's just not as good of a scorer as Puempel is.

Puempel is very dangerous in the slot, might have the best release out of any player in this draft, and might actually have the best NHL goal scoring ability out of any of the guys in this draft. We might have him a little higher then others, but I believe he belongs there and frankly after the big four, everyone is going to have a different view of things because there isn't a lot of consensus in this draft.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
We'll see what happens then! People will have differing opinions on everything. I liked Biggs when he was with the Jr. Canadiens and at the U-17's, but I haven't seen him since then. So for stuff like this, I go with our USHL guy. If you disagree with that, that's the beauty of differing opinions!

in your personal opinion do you think playing in the USHL lowers a players stock as compared to a player playing in the CHL?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
in your personal opinion do you think playing in the USHL lowers a players stock as compared to a player playing in the CHL?

It's tough. I mean with a guy like Ambroz, if he put up PPG in the WHL, he might be looked at as a Top 15 pick. But since he's showed pretty slow progression in the USHL, even though he's scoring at that clip, he's really sliding on a lot of lists. I think it's a case by case basis but I think there probably is a bit of a bias against the USHL.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I like your list and how you are not afraid to move guys around ..........and why not as you can always move them back.

My only comment is on Boone Jenner . The write up seems to only speak to his offensive side. I know he isn't first line material but think his greatest assets are his defensive work and hockey sense ,ability to bring it every shift ,board work. Also don't think his skating is a problem at all in how he has progressed this year and think his game will translate well to the pro game.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
I like your list and how you are not afraid to move guys around ..........and why not as you can always move them back.

My only comment is on Boone Jenner . The write up seems to only speak to his offensive side. I know he isn't first line material but think his greatest assets are his defensive work and hockey sense ,ability to bring it every shift ,board work. Also don't think his skating is a problem at all in how he has progressed this year and think his game will translate well to the pro game.

Yeah you could really argue the three Oshawa guys in any order depending on the person. For me the thing that REALLY bothers me with Jenner is just the lack of maturity in his game. He has such a poor on ice demeanor and I find that it actually takes away from his game. I also find him to be a pretty selfish player. I saw Oshawa three times this year, and every game I have my notes saying something along the lines of:

"Powerplay, Jenner passes the puck and instantly slaps his stick to call for the puck back."

I know some people might view that as a good quality in that he wants to take the game over, but with Jenner it's just excessive. He's got the tools to be a good NHL center, I think his skating still needs a lot of work, but it could come around, but I just don't know if he's going to be able to piece it altogether.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It's not just ME disagreeing with him. It's pretty much everyone. Sounds like he's down him him for the sake of being different.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
It's not just ME disagreeing with him. It's pretty much everyone. Sounds like he's down him him for the sake of being different.

Not at all, we don't do things like that. We're not here to make money or fill an agenda, this is the list as we see it, that's all it is. If you disagree with some of it, or all of it, that's your opinion and I can totally respect that. We're just providing something that we hope will be a helpful resource.

Since we're not a professional organization it's difficult to see every player as much as we'd like, but that's just the nature of things so we have to go off what we see and put equal stock in what each of us see.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If Saad had any sort of compete level in him, he'd be a guaranteed top 5 pick. That's such a big problem with him, IMO.

Defensively and physically maybe. That's what he doesn't try at. If he improved in those areas he'd be a poor mans Landeskog.

It's holding him back from being a guarenteed top 10 pick though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Defensively and physically maybe. That's what he doesn't try at. If he improved in those areas he'd be a poor mans Landeskog.

It's holding him back from being a guarenteed top 10 pick though.

I don't even see him trying on the offensive end. He relies far too much on natural skill to get by.

He will be in for a rude awakening at the NHL level. His compete level reminds me of Wolski's at the same age.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
What about Salomaki? I though he'd be a lock for 2nd round..

What's your analysis on him?

Also some scouting service had both Gibson and Perhonen going in the mid second?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
I don't even see him trying on the offensive end. He relies far too much on natural skill to get by.

He will be in for a rude awakening at the NHL level. His compete level reminds me of Wolski's at the same age.

Yeah agreed. He really lacks the drive in front of the net and often loses position despite being bigger and stronger than the defenseman. Saad really relies on generating his offense off the rush down the wing, and aside from that he doesn't like to work hard for his chances.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Anyone (who has seen him play) have any thoughts on Michael St. Croix?

He was the hottest thing coming out of midget/bantam hockey and while he didn't exactly light the world on fire last year, this year he well over a PPG pace and a +23 with a pretty mediocre Oil Kings team in the WHL. It looks like right now he is projected to go mid 2nd round, but is there much chance he could move up to a late 1st round pick?

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Yeah you could really argue the three Oshawa guys in any order depending on the person. For me the thing that REALLY bothers me with Jenner is just the lack of maturity in his game. He has such a poor on ice demeanor and I find that it actually takes away from his game. I also find him to be a pretty selfish player. I saw Oshawa three times this year, and every game I have my notes saying something along the lines of:

"Powerplay, Jenner passes the puck and instantly slaps his stick to call for the puck back."

I know some people might view that as a good quality in that he wants to take the game over, but with Jenner it's just excessive. He's got the tools to be a good NHL center, I think his skating still needs a lot of work, but it could come around, but I just don't know if he's going to be able to piece it altogether.

Fair enough . I've seen it but not every game and I've seen plenty. Thanks and really like your first sentence touches on .....it will take the entire year to sort out the Shaw 3. Look forward to your final list.
Thanks

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Anyone (who has seen him play) have any thoughts on Michael St. Croix?

He was the hottest thing coming out of midget/bantam hockey and while he didn't exactly light the world on fire last year, this year he well over a PPG pace and a +23 with a pretty mediocre Oil Kings team in the WHL. It looks like right now he is projected to go mid 2nd round, but is there much chance he could move up to a late 1st round pick?

I see him alot.
What you have to remember is:
what does he bring to the table in junior?
how do you see the player beyond junior?
can he deliver what he delivered in junior at the pro level?
if not what role can he be moved to and contribute?
in many cases if an offensive junior player cannot deliver the goods in pro he is asked to perform on a checking / 3rd - 4th line role......some can adjust to this, many cannot- mindset, physical....strength, size etc play a role

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Again, Puempel at 5 is a bit high. I also think McColgan you slip into the first. Likely Jurco slips out for fear of him being the next Rob Schremp.

I wouldn't put McColgan in the first round, having seen him play a ton over the last couple of seasons. To me, he looks like a great junior player but nothing more - I wonder what kind of game he brings to the NHL. I would love to see him become that Jordan Eberle-type winger, but I just don't see it with him. He doesn't offer much in the way of two-way play - he's mostly just an offensive winger (undersized at that).

arsmaster*

I see Forsberg projecting as a tougher version of Nick Schultz.
High praise....thats a really good player, that is severly underrated at the NHL level.

Biggs at 32 is absurd.
I dont know why? He wasnt even ranked by ISS in November, 28th in December and now 12th in January...they may have not seen him recently.

It's not absurd.
I don't know what would make him think that. Biggs skating is very solid for his size. His strength is getting better and better. I don't see anything that would hold him back from playing his style at the NHL level at all.

Maybe because the competition is better and the average player is 6'2" 210lbs. Players that dominate because they are bigger than everybody at the level they play at sometimes struggle to make the jump. Its quite common.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
You guys seem very high on Russo..
The more you see him, the more you have to come away impressed with Russo’s intangible abilities. His hockey sense is at an elite level both offensively and defensively as he seemingly has the puck on his stick most of the time he’s on the ice whether he’s skating with it through the neutral zone or intercepting opposing passes. Russo is very smooth and effortless as he skates the puck into the attacking zone and has the ability to find the seams in the opposing team’s forecheck and exploit them through his quick passes or by skating it himself.

If he's sounding so good then why is he not ranked higher?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
You guys seem very high on Russo..

If he's sounding so good then why is he not ranked higher?

Well everyone is ranked within reason. For instance I personally really like Scheifele. You can check my pieces on him from before the OHL season where I said he'd be a major riser this season, but where we have him is probably the highest limit I'd put him right now, and two months ago, most people would have thought I was crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->