TSR's 2011 Mid-Term Top 60 Skaters

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
TSRBanner2.jpg

Hello Gents,

We've released our Mid-Term Top 60 Skaters w/summaries for you to browse. It was quite a bit of work compiling our list and making revisions, but I'd really like to thank all of the guys involved with our site for their efforts in producing this list. It's in two parts for ease of reading, so hopefully it will be a good resource for you guys as our objective is to provide as much information as we can!

Cheers.

Part One (1-30)
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsrs-2011-midterm-top-60-skaters-130/
Part Two (31-60)
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsrs-2011-midterm-top-60-skaters-3160/

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
thanks, always a good read...

I'd be thrilled if Lucas Lessio is still there for the Leafs' 2nd :amazed:

Thanks sir. Yeah, personally I doubt he will be. This is an interesting draft though. I don't think there's a ton of high-end talent, but it's really deep and you can make a case for a number of players to go in that 20-30 range, who just as easily could fall into the mid 2nd.

arsmaster*

Like the list.

Zibanejad vs Rask....who projects to be better offensively....is like a Jacob Josefson compared to an Anton Lander?

Is there really a 19 spot difference between Russo and Clendening? If so I would have figured Clendening would be the higher pick.

Brodin vs Klefbom? How do they compare? Who would you compare them to at the NHL level?

Brodin is generally higher on most lists based on potential....is your ranking based on size?

I'll say it again, I like your list...these are my preliminary comments without going to deep?

Thanks for any comment.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Like the list.

Zibanejad vs Rask....who projects to be better offensively....is like a Jacob Josefson compared to an Anton Lander?

Is there really a 19 spot difference between Russo and Clendening? If so I would have figured Clendening would be the higher pick.

Brodin vs Klefbom? How do they compare? Who would you compare them to at the NHL level?

Brodin is generally higher on most lists based on potential....is your ranking based on size?

I'll say it again, I like your list...these are my preliminary comments without going to deep?

Thanks for any comment.

Alright I'll try to give some insight!

For the first one, I think Rask definitely has more high end offensive upside as Zibanejad is more of a two-way guy as you mentioned. Rask is tough to place in this crop, I think you could find some guys who would have him in the Top 10, while others might like guys like Jaskin ahead of him. He hasn't quite had the dominating year most were hoping for, but we'll see how things pan out, especially with the U18's.

I think we're probably a little higher on Russo then some, but it really comes down to high-end potential I believe. Russo can be pretty good offensively, and while he's been a little inconsistent this year, he has that potential. Clendening is a little more what you see is what you get I think. He's just a real solid player, but he's not overly big and doesn't really have a dominating quality.

We have a guy who feeds us what he can about most of the European prospects, and I'll say I'm personally not that familiar with Brodin, but yeah I think that's a bit of a concern. Again it's tough for me personally to give a comparison for him and Klefbom because I'm mostly an OHL/USHL guy, but I'll be looking forward to the U18's to get a stronger feel for them personally.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Thanks sir. Yeah, personally I doubt he will be. This is an interesting draft though. I don't think there's a ton of high-end talent, but it's really deep and you can make a case for a number of players to go in that 20-30 range, who just as easily could fall into the mid 2nd.

and that fact is good for Toronto, much like last year where they had Ross ranked in the 1st round, and when he slipped to the 2nd they acquired a pick to get him...

That 20-50 range is muddy, like last year...and like last year some will slip...as that draft went on I was surprised Jarnkrok went as late as he did.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
and that fact is good for Toronto, much like last year where they had Ross ranked in the 1st round, and when he slipped to the 2nd they acquired a pick to get him...

That 20-50 range is muddy, like last year...and like last year some will slip...as that draft went on I was surprised Jarnkrok went as late as he did.

Definitely. If if you're picking inside the Top 50, you're going to get a very good prospect.

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
Great Work!

It's great to see some new names on the mix, specially those kind of talents from High School like Lucia, Hudon, Labate or Everson, who are most of the times under the radar. Maybe a bit surprised not seeing a Goalie cracking the list. No big deal, they are always hard to predict and this year is a hard one.

My only question is about Tyler Biggs. He was one of the raisers this past month, even reaching the Top 10. I have the chance to see some USA U-18 games and seems to be one of those "all-around" players. Good body, hard shot, tough, with leadership, sacrificed on defense and good moves on offense. I expected him a little bit higher. Same with Jonathan Miller also. Maybe it's because i saw all of them more times than others, but i want to know more about that.

Thanks!

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Great Work!

It's great to see some new names on the mix, specially those kind of talents from High School like Lucia, Hudon, Labate or Everson, who are most of the times under the radar. Maybe a bit surprised not seeing a Goalie cracking the list. No big deal, they are always hard to predict and this year is a hard one.

My only question is about Tyler Biggs. He was one of the raisers this past month, even reaching the Top 10. I have the chance to see some USA U-18 games and seems to be one of those "all-around" players. Good body, hard shot, tough, with leadership, sacrificed on defense and good moves on offense. I expected him a little bit higher. Same with Jonathan Miller also. Maybe it's because i saw all of them more times than others, but i want to know more about that.

Thanks!

Just a heads up - we don't include goalies in our rankings, we just put out a separate list along with our final rankings instead. I think Gibson is definitely in the Top 60, but yeah aside from him it's a bit of a weak year for goaltending, although there are a couple of guys who could be great mid-round picks.

Yeah our USHL guy sees the U18 team frequently as well and he admitted that he's not as high on Biggs as most as I think he just questions his ability to play that style at the NHL level. He likes Miller though, and he'll be a guy that should start getting more attention. I know from seeing Biggs in MM, I really wish he took the OHL route as he would be a nice piece in that Oshawa lineup right now and his game really fits the Major Junior style, but you really can't go wrong taking the NCAA route, either.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Funny, I saw the rankings yesterday but I had no idea they were this up-to-date. I have a similar ranking of Puempel, I think his scoring will translate well to the NHL.

We have a couple players we value differently, but that's what makes the rankings interesting. Amongst others, I have Beaulieu, Prince, St. Croix and Scarlett higher on my list. I also like what I've heard of Brodin's development curve, but have no first hand viewing of him. Could be an interesting prospect to look out for.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Good work and thanks for the list...

Puempel at #5 is definitely the highest I've seen him.. I'll pay a little closer attention to him the rest of the way...

This has nothing to do with your ranking, but Huberdeau facially looks alot like a young Pierre Turgeon, he is most comfortable speaking French (like Turgeon), 6'1 like Turgeon, and plays a shifty/creative game like Turgeon...... Yes, I see alot of Turgeon-like qualities in this kid.

Noticed that 6'7 defenseman (oleksiak??) didn't make your top 60.... everyone seems to be going crazy over him lately...

Nice informative rankings though..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I disagree with Reece Scarlett. I see him more of a stay-at-home defense than a total OFD. You also didn't mention any of his hockey sense which is his strongest point.

E: Even though you list Jesse Forsberg at #54 do you see NHL teams taking a chance on him higher in the draft? Kind of like McIlrath last season?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
I disagree with Reece Scarlett. I see him more of a stay-at-home defense than a total OFD. You also didn't mention any of his hockey sense which is his strongest point.

E: Even though you list Jesse Forsberg at #54 do you see NHL teams taking a chance on him higher in the draft? Kind of like McIlrath last season?

I think it will all depend on what a team feels about their prospect core. Forsberg does have a bit of offensive upside, so that is a bit of a wild-card, and I'm sure there are a few GM's who love the grit he has. You have to be a little concerned that it's tough to be as nasty as he is now at the next level when you're not the biggest guy out there, but yeah I don't see why a team wouldn't step up and take him if they like him. Every year there's always guys that surprise in that regard.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
After watching few Elitserien games, Jonas Brodin has become my favourite Swede in this year's draft. He's not on the same level as Larsson is at the moment, but he's eight months younger and still has a lot of room to develop physically. Such a smart, reliable and smooth skating defenseman, I'd be surprised if he's still available in the 2nd round. Will take some time to develop, but the reward for waiting could be grand.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Good list. I like that you have Jaskin in the first round. I think if he'd have played in the WJC his stock would be much higher than it is now. That being said he could take a tumble like Kuhnhackl did last year because he's playing in Europe. I think he's more talented than Kuhnhackl though and could be a first rounder this year, especially to a team like Detroit or Phoenix who have been known to take Czech players.

Analyzer*

Sweet, Montréal can get Rattie/Rask/McNeil, then acquire an early 2nd, get Biggs, then get Oleksiak. I'd love that draft.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
What's the deal with Biggs anyway? I see a lot of rankings (but not yours) have him really, really high (almost Top 10) and yet he has very disappointing production, IMO.

Obviously stats aren't everything but I haven't been able to watch him play so that's all I have to go on (unlike with a lot of the other 1st and 2nd rounders who I have seen).

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I think it will all depend on what a team feels about their prospect core. Forsberg does have a bit of offensive upside, so that is a bit of a wild-card, and I'm sure there are a few GM's who love the grit he has. You have to be a little concerned that it's tough to be as nasty as he is now at the next level when you're not the biggest guy out there, but yeah I don't see why a team wouldn't step up and take him if they like him. Every year there's always guys that surprise in that regard.

I see Forsberg projecting as a tougher version of Nick Schultz.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
this will be the first draft class where im older than the 1st year eligible players, ohh man

im high on Puempel, but number 5?

I know hes been picking it up lately and plays on a bad Petes team but one could even argue hes not even over Saad let alone Murphy and Siemens

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just a heads up - we don't include goalies in our rankings, we just put out a separate list along with our final rankings instead. I think Gibson is definitely in the Top 60, but yeah aside from him it's a bit of a weak year for goaltending, although there are a couple of guys who could be great mid-round picks.

Yeah our USHL guy sees the U18 team frequently as well and he admitted that he's not as high on Biggs as most as I think he just questions his ability to play that style at the NHL level. He likes Miller though, and he'll be a guy that should start getting more attention. I know from seeing Biggs in MM, I really wish he took the OHL route as he would be a nice piece in that Oshawa lineup right now and his game really fits the Major Junior style, but you really can't go wrong taking the NCAA route, either.

I don't know what would make him think that. Biggs skating is very solid for his size. His strength is getting better and better. I don't see anything that would hold him back from playing his style at the NHL level at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad