TSR's 2011 Mid-Term OHL Rankings (Skaters Only)

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Well after a lot of action, we've got our list together. One thing is clear, the talent level of the OHL this year is extremely deep, one of the best crops in recent memory from top to bottom, no doubt. Our list is published in two parts for on-site clarity. Thoughts and comments are always appreciated!

1-10:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2011-ohl-midterm-draft-rankings-part1/

11-20:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2011-ohl-midterm-draft-rankings-part2/

1. Gabriel Landeskog
2. Brandon Saad
3. Ryan Muprhy
4. Matthew Puempel
5. Ryan Strome
6. Dougie Hamilton
7. Mark Scheifele
8. Daniel Catenacci
9. Boone Jenner
10. Stuart Percy
11. Alexander Khokhlachev
12. Stefan Noesen
13. Lucas Lessio
14. Rickard Rakell
15. Shane Prince
16. Alan Quine
17. Vladislav Namestnikov
18. Nicklas Jensen
19. Vincent Trocheck
20. Scott Harrington

Madic

May 21, 2008
Cheers for the list. Seems Puempel is still popular somewhere.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Cheers for the list. Seems Puempel is still popular somewhere.

Thanks sir. Personally I'm not even a huge fan of his game, but he's got an uncanny touch around the net and you have to respect his ability to score goals and with his skill-set, it projects well to the next level as well.

why is prince so low?

I know from my personal viewings, I'm not sure he has what it takes to be a producer at the next level, and given the fact he's a marginal two way guy, he's going to need to do that pretty well.

Would you say he's an overly creative player, in terms of the ability to do things that are going to produce goals at the NHL level? From when I've seen him, I don't get that vibe and I haven't made very many notes of that. Given the fact he plays on one of the premier lines in the OHL, it doesn't really give him the benefit of the doubt either.

Prince could end up being a major coup, and go on to a productive NHL career, but I think there's a considerable amount of question marks in his game. I will admit, I'm a little surprised he was left off the Prospects Game roster, however, as I think he has done enough to at least warrant an invite to that game.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
So far I've found Lessio to be pretty average. No wow factor at all and inconsistent effort. On the other hand I think Jensen has great raw skill. There is no question at all that he has the size and skating ability to play pro and has shown some pretty decent finish.
What makes Lessio way ahead of Jensen on this list?

JeffYear92*

Thank god, So I am not the only who predicts Prince to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
So far I've found Lessio to be pretty average. No wow factor at all and inconsistent effort. On the other hand I think Jensen has great raw skill. There is no question at all that he has the size and skating ability to play pro and has shown some pretty decent finish.
What makes Lessio way ahead of Jensen on this list?

I think the thing with Jensen is that it's really tough to gauge a player with his skill-set and how well he will adapt to the next level. For instance, look at a recent example like Evgeny Grachev. They're similar type players, but Grachev was significantly more successful, granted he did have better linemates.

Still, I look at how much Grachev has struggled in the AHL thus far, and that worries me about Jensen, because personally for me, he doesn't show a whole lot shift in, shift out.

As for Lessio, his numbers will come around, I think he's still finding his way around the OHL. I really think he should have played in the USHL last year and I made those comments at the time, if his intentions were to go the NCAA route, because of how weak the CCHL was. He needs to step it up in the second half, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
dont know why but he is definitely underestimated!

With the depth of this year's OHL crop, most of the players are pretty interchangeable so you could make an argument for several players. Despite having Koko at 11, I could easily see a team taking him in the late first or early second. There will be a lot of OHL guys going in the first few rounds this season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Thank god, So I am not the only who predicts Prince to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

lolwut? Virtually every agency has him as a 2nnd or 3rd rounder. I haven't found one list yet with him in the top 30.

The guy is criminally underrated.

I particularly love the argument against him due to being on the best line in the CHL, considering he's the best player on that line on most nights. Brilliant stuff.

I don't know how Matt Puempel is still so highly rated by so many. The guy is so underwhelming. Gimme Strome or Jensen over him any day.

OilerOlli*

Puempel ahead of Strome and Hamilton and Scheifele so high really surprised me.
I don't think it will heappen in the draft, tho.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I think the thing with Jensen is that it's really tough to gauge a player with his skill-set and how well he will adapt to the next level. For instance, look at a recent example like Evgeny Grachev. They're similar type players, but Grachev was significantly more successful, granted he did have better linemates.

Still, I look at how much Grachev has struggled in the AHL thus far, and that worries me about Jensen, because personally for me, he doesn't show a whole lot shift in, shift out.

As for Lessio, his numbers will come around, I think he's still finding his way around the OHL. I really think he should have played in the USHL last year and I made those comments at the time, if his intentions were to go the NCAA route, because of how weak the CCHL was. He needs to step it up in the second half, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

Jensen may be starting to answer these questions as he has been on fire with 9 goals and 4 assists(6 games) since his return from the WJC. Has looked dominant doing it too. His size ,shot and skating ability are starting to remind me of Jeff Carter from his days in the O.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
Well after a lot of action, we've got our list together. One thing is clear, the talent level of the OHL this year is extremely deep, one of the best crops in recent memory from top to bottom, no doubt. Our list is published in two parts for on-site clarity. Thoughts and comments are always appreciated!

1-10:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2011-ohl-midterm-draft-rankings-part1/

11-20:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2011-ohl-midterm-draft-rankings-part2/

1. Gabriel Landeskog
2. Brandon Saad
3. Ryan Muprhy
4. Matthew Puempel
5. Ryan Strome
6. Dougie Hamilton
7. Mark Scheifele
8. Daniel Catenacci
9. Boone Jenner
10. Stuart Percy
11. Alexander Khokhlachev
12. Stefan Noesen
13. Lucas Lessio
14. Rickard Rakell
15. Shane Prince
16. Alan Quine
17. Vladislav Namestnikov
18. Nicklas Jensen
19. Vincent Trocheck
20. Scott Harrington

Great job...I really like this list and I think you would probably put together a better list than the one CSS put out today!

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Jensen may be starting to answer these questions as he has been on fire with 9 goals and 4 assists(6 games) since his return from the WJC. Has looked dominant doing it too. His size ,shot and skating ability are starting to remind me of Jeff Carter from his days in the O.

Yes, he's certainly been riding a great streak right now. If he can show this type of consistency throughout the second half of the season, he'll definitely make a strong case to be a riser.

Madic

May 21, 2008
^ Is there any jam to Jensen's game? I only caught the one Gens game this year and I didn't notice him at all (first week of the season). I mean, is he another one of these big, tall prospects with enough talent that they don't use their size at all? He seems to be getting a lot of praise and raking in the goals, but no one has him ranked to highly, is why I ask.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
^ Is there any jam to Jensen's game? I only caught the one Gens game this year and I didn't notice him at all (first week of the season). I mean, is he another one of these big, tall prospects with enough talent that they don't use their size at all? He seems to be getting a lot of praise and raking in the goals, but no one has him ranked to highly, is why I ask.

That's another reason I compare him to Carter . Perhaps he will develop some, not that he is playing a NA but it's not like he spends all his time on the perimeter either. That said I doubt he turns into Brendan Morrow but Carter is having a pretty good career too although I know a lot of people wished he had that jam component to his game.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Jensen

I could see Jensen, like Bødker some years ago, lift his game in the second half and go top 10 in the draft..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad