TSR 2012 Preliminary Top 30

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Good day to everyone,

For those who don't follow us frequently (shame on you ;)), we released our Preliminary Top 30 Skaters for 2012 last week. Received some pretty good feedback thus far and have had some good email exchanges with a few people about the list. It's a very strong group of talent going into the season and a crop that's certainly worth getting excited about.

Part 1:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-preliminary-top-30-skaters-115/

Part 2:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-preliminary-top-30-skaters-1630/

As always, would love to hear back from the community here. It's been a long summer and I think everyone is certainly ready for an exciting year of following hockey prospects.

Cheers!

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
Nieves is DEFINITELY NOT easily the best player on kent. He certainly wasn't the best last season and I think it's too early to call him the best for this season let alone easily the best. He is damn good though

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Very good rankings. One of the best I have seen to date (even though it's early), as I find myself agreeing with these rankings.

Obviously there is a little bit to be adjusted but I feel that most players are ranked in the area that they should be.

Well done.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
wow Collberg so low, I would prefer Collberg over Forsberg, that big of a gap wow.

Nieves so high, that was a shocker, I don't think he gets 1st round, he could sneak in late 2nd or early 3rd IMO.

I think Dillon Fournier from Rouyn does not get the attention he should...good size at 6'01...he needs to get stronger, but he is a great skater, excellent puck control, can QB the play, great vision and passing, smart player, positionally sound in own zone.

Last edited:

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Nieves is DEFINITELY NOT easily the best player on kent. He certainly wasn't the best last season and I think it's too early to call him the best for this season let alone easily the best. He is damn good though

Curious to see you elaborate on that one. In terms of pro potential, he's easily their best player and had a very solid first season of prep school hockey. Nieves is still a bit of a wild-card for me personally, he's a guy that I'm very curious to see how he does this year.

wow Collberg so low, I would prefer Collberg over Forsberg, that big of a gap wow.

Nieves so high, that was a shocker, I don't think he gets 1st round, he could sneak in late 2nd or early 3rd IMO.

I think Dillon Fournier from Rouyn does not get the attention he should...good size at 6'01...he needs to get stronger, but he is a great skater, excellent puck control, can QB the play, great vision and passing, smart player, positionally sound in own zone.

We likely do have Collberg a touch low but nobody on our team really wanted to go out on a limb to put him higher and that's where our consensus range has him. I agree that the gap between him and Forsberg isn't overly large, and as I sad in the write-up, I do expect him to be a major riser this year if he continues to develop at his current clip.

As for Fournier, you're obviously very familiar with him and I would say he's in that fringe 1st-round group right now. There's a lot of players who we might have in our 30-50 range that could easily be a first-rounder for someone else. The 2nd and 3rd rounds in this draft should be pretty deep.

Given your familiarity with him and Matheson, who would you prefer at this point?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Koekkoek is higher than I thought he'd be. I know the Petes had a horrible defense, but even then in the games I saw he didn't really stand out as anything special to suggest potential top 15 NHL pick. But my viewings were limited to Kingston/Peterborough games, as well as the odd other game when the Petes were televised. So maybe he just didn't do so well against the teams I saw.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Koekkoek is higher than I thought he'd be. I know the Petes had a horrible defense, but even then in the games I saw he didn't really stand out as anything special to suggest potential top 15 NHL pick. But my viewings were limited to Kingston/Peterborough games, as well as the odd other game when the Petes were televised. So maybe he just didn't do so well against the teams I saw.

Perhaps yeah, I've seen him a number of times and I really like how he plays the game and the little things he does on the ice. I've seen him make his fair share of mistakes, which is too be expected from a 16-year-old kid playing that many minutes, but he did a lot of things that indicate to me that he's got some really good upside at the next level. I know we probably have him high, so we'll see how the season plays out... I do like him where we have him at.

This list is flawed. My favorite prospect is ranked too low.

Well, tell Minnesota to make the playoffs and maybe you can get him in the 20s ;)

Pokka is Better offensively than määttä.

You think so? We may be underselling Pokka a bit, but I definitely feel that Maatta has more raw offensive upside. If you are correct in your assessment, it will be a few years before we can conclusively say so. From seeing Maatta already in NA, I think he's probably going to log a ton of ice-time with London and he looks very good. Pretty comfortable moving the puck and really made a lot of nice transitional plays. Pokka will have a tougher time showing his offensive side in the SM-Liiga but we'll see how they progress.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Collberg should be higher, i expect him to climb into the top 10 or even top 5. Forsberg is good but Collberg is on par or even better than him.

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
You think so? We may be underselling Pokka a bit, but I definitely feel that Maatta has more raw offensive upside. If you are correct in your assessment, it will be a few years before we can conclusively say so. From seeing Maatta already in NA, I think he's probably going to log a ton of ice-time with London and he looks very good. Pretty comfortable moving the puck and really made a lot of nice transitional plays. Pokka will have a tougher time showing his offensive side in the SM-Liiga but we'll see how they progress.

If you're talking strictly offensive upside, Pokka is a no brainer.

If you're talking total package in a prospect, who would a team rather take.. I'd say Maatta. He seems to be bigger and more complete.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
If you're talking strictly offensive upside, Pokka is a no brainer.

If you're talking total package in a prospect, who would a team rather take.. I'd say Maatta. He seems to be bigger and more complete.
Good post. It's shame that Pokka is so bad skater.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Collberg should be higher, i expect him to climb into the top 10 or even top 5. Forsberg is good but Collberg is on par or even better than him.

Forsberg have better size and defensive game and is 6 months younger. Collberg might have some better offensive tools, lethal wristshot and is a better skater. All things consider I agree that they are pretty even at this point. Forsberg will get better exposure playing in a senior league (sel-2) while Collberg by the looks of it will play in Superelit since theres no room for him in the main team in Sel. Henrik Samuelsson will get great exposure since he is on SEL-team with very little forward depth (Modo) and will play as a regular. Expect him to rise in theese rankings!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Just curious why you guys don't feel Jarrod Maidens is a first round prospect at this point, and below some of the OHL forwards that he outproduced last season?

Otherwise great list. The depth in this draft on defense is mind boggling.

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
Curious to see you elaborate on that one. In terms of pro potential, he's easily their best player and had a very solid first season of prep school hockey. Nieves is still a bit of a wild-card for me personally, he's a guy that I'm very curious to see how he does this year.=QUOTE]

I saw him play 2 or 3 times live last year. I would agree with you that he's easily the best pro prospect on Kent. Big rangy center whos very good on draws, has good hands and is a very good playmaker.

However, in terms of how he actaully affects the games he wasn't dominant or even "great" last year....just a very good player out there. I could definetely see him taking the next step and being a dominant player in prep hockey this year like guys like Placek Michalek and Accerio (sp?) were last year. But he still has to take that step and perform before he is easily the best player on Kent.

edit: how do I quote properly?

Last edited:

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Good day to everyone,

For those who don't follow us frequently (shame on you ;)), we released our Preliminary Top 30 Skaters for 2012 last week. Received some pretty good feedback thus far and have had some good email exchanges with a few people about the list. It's a very strong group of talent going into the season and a crop that's certainly worth getting excited about.

Part 1:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-preliminary-top-30-skaters-115/

Part 2:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-preliminary-top-30-skaters-1630/

As always, would love to hear back from the community here. It's been a long summer and I think everyone is certainly ready for an exciting year of following hockey prospects.

Cheers!

Could you explain the disconnect here?

20. RW Sebastian Collberg – Frolunda (SuperElit)

DOB: Feb. 23/94 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 175lbs

Collberg is a diminutive winger...

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Just curious why you guys don't feel Jarrod Maidens is a first round prospect at this point, and below some of the OHL forwards that he outproduced last season?

Otherwise great list. The depth in this draft on defense is mind boggling.

I think Maidens struggled a bit with the pace of the OHL at the start of the year and it took him a while to get going. He's definitely a guy that's right on the cusp of being a Top 30 player and I believe a lot of people probably even incorporate him into that group.

I think he improved his skating over the course of the year and did a much better job finding some offensive consistency during the second half and really generating more chances. Obviously his playoffs were a fine way to cap the season and I even seem to recall him scoring some important goal for the Attack late in the playoffs. ;)

As you know, with the graduation of several key forwards, Maidens is going to have every opportunity to succeed this season. He'll be seeing first-line minutes and if he can take advantage of it and prove that he's an offensive threat night-in and night-out, I think he definitely has a good shot of working his way into Day 1 next summer.

Could you explain the disconnect here?

I wouldn't really consider 6.00, 175lbs to be overly big. Collberg could even be closer to 5.11 than he is to 6.00, and he certainly doesn't play like a big forward. His game is all about generating offensive chances and getting opportunities to use his shot. Diminutive was used moreso in that context.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario

Make sure the quote finishes with [/QUOTE]

In the above example you had it formatted with =QUOTE]

Curious to see you elaborate on that one. In terms of pro potential, he's easily their best player and had a very solid first season of prep school hockey. Nieves is still a bit of a wild-card for me personally, he's a guy that I'm very curious to see how he does this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Curious to see you elaborate on that one. In terms of pro potential, he's easily their best player and had a very solid first season of prep school hockey. Nieves is still a bit of a wild-card for me personally, he's a guy that I'm very curious to see how he does this year.=QUOTE]

I saw him play 2 or 3 times live last year. I would agree with you that he's easily the best pro prospect on Kent. Big rangy center whos very good on draws, has good hands and is a very good playmaker.

However, in terms of how he actaully affects the games he wasn't dominant or even "great" last year....just a very good player out there. I could definetely see him taking the next step and being a dominant player in prep hockey this year like guys like Placek Michalek and Accerio (sp?) were last year. But he still has to take that step and perform before he is easily the best player on Kent.

Nieves is the best player on Kent, and it isnt even close. he needs to work on consistency, but on raw skill and ability, he is the man. I hope he puts it all together and goes where the SCR has him ranked, that would be excellent.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
over the past few years it seemed that more people where out there making statements that the USHL was really dropping in terms of talent.

I think this year is proof that is simply not the case.

A possible four first round picks out of the USHL and that isnt including another possible 3 from the USNDP... this is a very strong draft for the USHL this season

Schmaltz, Girgensens, Matheson, Michaelson all could be top 30 picks...plus throw in Brian Cooper who is hovering around the top 30 as well, and this could be a very massive year for the USHL....

with more Americans joining the league at 15, and what seems to be more players from Europe and Canada wanting to play college hockey, this trend is only going to continue to go up imo..

Great list by the way, really liked what you had as it is very reasonable to see most of those names going in the top 30...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->