TSP: Montreal Canadiens Prospect Rankings and Scouting Reports

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
First time I see a ranking that is similar to mine.

No.1 - Juulsen (low upside, but a sure NHLer)
No.2 - Lindgren (I've been saying for over a year now that he was our prospect with the best value after Sergachev)
No.3 - Mete (according to what I've seen from him, he's a top 5 for sure, but not a sure NHLer)
No.4 - Phoeling (To me he should be in front of Juulsen only because his upside is greater)
No.5 - Sherbak (Has all the tools, but sadly lacks hockey intelligence. This season is his last opportunity to show the organization he is not a bust)
No.6 - Hudon (this kid is and will be a valuable asset if he plays with talented linemates. I would have him in the top 5)
No.8 - Ikonen (According to what I've seen from this guy, he also deserves to be higher on this list... at least ahead of Sherbak.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I don't think Scherbak is a bust, nor do i think at 21 this is is his last season to make it.

I also think that Mete is the most exciting prospect, even if he's not a sure thing to make the NHL. The upside is potentially very high with his skating ability.

Also more I watch of Poehling, more of a fan I am.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think Scherbak is a bust, nor do i think at 21 this is is his last season to make it.

I also think that Mete is the most exciting prospect, even if he's not a sure thing to make the NHL. The upside is potentially very high with his skating ability.

Also more I watch of Poehling, more of a fan I am.
I'm not saying that Scherbak is a bust. I'm saying that we'll know this year if he is a bust or not.

Offensive forwards like him have seen a few NHL games at their age... Don't forget that Draisaitl, Elhers, Reinhart, Bennett, Pastrnak, Larkin, Nylander, Arvidsson and Fabbri were all drafted the same year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I don't think anyone with a supposedly low upside is a sure NHLer, especially not Juulsen who has alleged concussion issues. A low upside means they're replaceable, they're not unique and don't stand out.

Why would an organisation take risks with a youngster with low upside when they can pick up a Jordie Benn or whatever other journeyman professional d-man?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'm not saying that Scherbak is a bust. I'm saying that we'll know this year if he is a bust or not.

Offensive forwards like him have seen a few NHL games at their age... Don't forget that Draisaitl, Elhers, Reinhart, Bennett, Pastrnak, Larkin, Nylander, Arvidsson and Fabbri were all drafted the same year.

5 of those guys are top 15 picks.

Players develop at different rates though, and he's 21. We need to see him take a step forward this year, but even if he doesn't make the NHL, that still doesn't make him a bust. He's still young. As long as he's progressing. .

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think anyone with a supposedly low upside is a sure NHLer, especially not Juulsen who has alleged concussion issues. A low upside means they're replaceable, they're not unique and don't stand out.

Why would an organisation take risks with a youngster with low upside when they can pick up a Jordie Benn or whatever other journeyman professional d-man?
I never saw Alzner as a player with a big upside. Juulsen will be that kind of defesman.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

5 of those guys are top 15 picks.

Players develop at different rates though, and he's 21. We need to see him take a step forward this year, but even if he doesn't make the NHL, that still doesn't make him a bust. He's still young. As long as he's progressing. .

Apart from Arvidsson who was drafted as a 21 years old, they were all picked before Scherbak.

Not counting Arvidsson, only 2 guys played almost a full season worth of games (Dvorak with 79 games and double overager Tryamkin with 78 games), both on struggling team.

Brayden Point is next with 68 games, followed by Labanc and Kase at around 50 games.

Barbashev and Forsling are the only other ones with 30 games or more.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Apart from Arvidsson who was drafted as a 21 years old, they were all picked before Scherbak.

Not counting Arvidsson, only 2 guys played almost a full season worth of games (Dvorak with 79 games and double overager Tryamkin with 78 games), both on struggling team.

Brayden Point is next with 68 games, followed by Labanc and Kase at around 50 games.

Barbashev and Forsling are the only other ones with 30 games or more.

To me the biggest thing is still that Scherbak showed a lot of progression from year one to year two in the AHL. Thats a good sign.

People also need to remember cause Scherbak was a late birthday he only played one year of junior post draft before going to the AHL. Most of the junior players from his draft, have just finished their first AHL season, he seems older since he's finished his second.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

No.2 - Lindgren (I've been saying for over a year now that he was our prospect with the best value after Sergachev)
No.3 - Mete (according to what I've seen from him, he's a top 5 for sure, but not a sure NHLer)
No.4 - Phoeling (To me he should be in front of Juulsen only because his upside is greater)
No.5 - Sherbak (Has all the tools, but sadly lacks hockey intelligence. This season is his last opportunity to show the organization he is not a bust)
No.6 - Hudon (this kid is and will be a valuable asset if he plays with talented linemates. I would have him in the top 5)
No.8 - Ikonen (According to what I've seen from this guy, he also deserves to be higher on this list... at least ahead of Sherbak.

Being projected as a second pairing defenseman isnt what I call low upside personally..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Article misses terribly in the skating section. Even though I think he has a bright future, Juulsen's biggest weakness is his skating, same for Hudon. Claiming Hudon's speed is above average is ridiculous. And Reway's speed isn't much better.

For the last 35 years it has amazed me how incapable the average fan is at determining whether a player is fast or not.

The effort is appreciated but now joe average is going to read this and mistakingly believe that he has read expert scouting reports and will then litter these boards with said falsehoods for years to come.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
So let's say our top 2 or 2 of our top 5 prospects (Juulsen & Lindgren) are in positions we have long term contracts in on the current team. How exactly is Berg going to get value out of them?

Any GM can see those players have extremely limited roles with the current contacts in place, so they have the leverage in any trade negotiations. Moving Petry (not the easiest contract to move, but moveable) or Juulsen before he becomes another "bust" and loses value for Centres or LHD of equal value is going to be a hard sell.

Price is obviously blocking Lindgren and I wouldn't think he would hold much value with little to no NHL experience. Weber isn't going anywhere either of course.

Any teams have holes with RHD or Goal prospects and have an abundance of centre or LHD youngsters? Can Juulsen play the Left side?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So let's say our top 2 or 2 of our top 5 prospects (Juulsen & Lindgren) are in positions we have long term contracts in on the current team. How exactly is Berg going to get value out of them?

Any GM can see those players have extremely limited roles with the current contacts in place, so they have the leverage in any trade negotiations. Moving Petry (not the easiest contract to move, but moveable) or Juulsen before he becomes another "bust" and loses value for Centres or LHD of equal value is going to be a hard sell.

Price is obviously blocking Lindgren and I wouldn't think he would hold much value with little to no NHL experience. Weber isn't going anywhere either of course.

Any teams have holes with RHD or Goal prospects and have an abundance of centre or LHD youngsters? Can Juulsen play the Left side?

Why can't Juulsen just play on the third pair till Petry's contract expires and then take his spot?

Two years in the AHL then he takes Benn's spot on the third pair as his contract expires in two years, two years on the third pair and then takes Petry's spot when his contract expires. Juulsen will be 24 years old when Petry's contract expires.

Lindgren is probably going to become the backup when Montoya's contract expires.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Why can't Juulsen just play on the third pair till Petry's contract expires and then take his spot?

Two years in the AHL then he takes Benn's spot on the third pair as his contract expires in two years, two years on the third pair and then takes Petry's spot when his contract expires. Juulsen will be 24 years old when Petry's contract expires.

Lindgren is probably going to become the backup when Montoya's contract expires.

Exactly. He is going to need time in the AHL, and then time to get his feet wet in the NHL before he's ready for top 4. That might be quicker than four years, but it might now. No need to make trades now.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

Two years in the AHL then he takes Benn's spot on the third pair as his contract expires in two years

Of course it would be great to see our current crop of prospects bloom in the AHL and follow their projection path, I was talking about the current pool as assets in order to compete in our current window.

Do you have faith that Juulsen will develop the way he should in our current AHL system? Unfortunately I don't see it right now, but would love to be proven wrong.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course it would be great to see our current crop of prospects bloom in the AHL and follow their projection path, I was talking about the current pool as assets in order to compete in our current window.

Do you have faith that Juulsen will develop the way he should in our current AHL system? Unfortunately I don't see it right now, but would love to be proven wrong.

The whole "development" issue has been blown out of proportion just like how the "Habs are doomed". Juulsen will develop fine and we got something with him. Most defeseman go to the AHL to develop their "defensive game" but Juulsen already plays a smart reliable game. It won't take him long to be NHL ready IMO. Just don't expect much offense from him at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad