TSP: Columbus top prospects

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Thanks, one thing of note though. Murray hasn't been developing nicely at all. I'm one of his biggest supporters, but I couldn't make that claim. Too many injuries have derailed that from being a valid conclusion.

Also, outside of Dano I'm trying to remember what "hits" our system might have taken. I know Wennberg got full time duty, but other than that... Between the draft and adding a guy like Paliotta, I wouldn't say that there can be a claim that our system is weaker.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thanks, one thing of note though. Murray hasn't been developing nicely at all. I'm one of his biggest supporters, but I couldn't make that claim. Too many injuries have derailed that from being a valid conclusion.

Also, outside of Dano I'm trying to remember what "hits" our system might have taken. I know Wennberg got full time duty, but other than that... Between the draft and adding a guy like Paliotta, I wouldn't say that there can be a claim that our system is weaker.

50 games is our cutoff for calling a guy graduated. In the last year Alexander Wennberg, Michael Chaput, Kevin Connauton, and Cody Goloubef all passed that number. Dano was dealt. Those are the hits.

As for Murray, you guys watch every game, and I can't claim I see every CBJ game, its impossible to watch as much junior as i do and watch every NHL game. From what I have seen though, I thought he's played well when healthy.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Oh one other thing, I didn't mention Dansk, who has slowly been losing clout as a prospect year after year, thats another hit.

Still overall Columbus will be a top 5 team in our team rankings.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
5As for Murray, you guys watch every game, and I can't claim I see every CBJ game, its impossible to watch as much junior as i do and watch every NHL game. From what I have seen though, I thought he's played well when healthy.

He has played well. He's the team's best defenseman when he's out there.

Is that a testament towards how good Murray is, or a knock on how unimpressive the rest of the defensemen on this team are? That's for you to decide.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
50 games is our cutoff for calling a guy graduated. In the last year Alexander Wennberg, Michael Chaput, Kevin Connauton, and Cody Goloubef all passed that number. Dano was dealt. Those are the hits.

Thanks, although Connauton came part way through the season. He wasn't really ever considered part of our system. He never played a game in our farm system. Chaput isn't a "hit", he's barely considered a 4th line prospect with the outside shot at a 3rd line role by the time he's 27 or 28. So if you look at what we added through trade and draft, we'd probably have more of a gain than what a loss. At worst it's a push. Our 1st pick in the draft is more than a the sum of Golo, Connauton, and Chaput combined. What we added on defense makes up for what we lost in the system at forward in Dano and Wennberg.

As for Murray, you guys watch every game, and I can't claim I see every CBJ game, its impossible to watch as much junior as i do and watch every NHL game. From what I have seen though, I thought he's played well when healthy.

In all 12 games last season? I would edit it and remove that statement. Our GM is desperate for him to be healthy so he can develop. He's on record discussing that situation.

Pretty good read, thanks for providing.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Adding Paliotta and Karlsson has to at least cover for the graduations of Goloubef and Chaput, and the emergence of Forsberg should make up for Dansk's implosion. So effectively the prospect pipeline has "lost" Wennberg and Dano, while adding all the draft picks. I don't really see how that's a net negative from a year ago, especially when you consider that nobody thought Bjorkstrand was this good last year.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Adding Paliotta and Karlsson has to at least cover for the graduations of Goloubef and Chaput, and the emergence of Forsberg should make up for Dansk's implosion. So effectively the prospect pipeline has "lost" Wennberg and Dano, while adding all the draft picks. I don't really see how that's a net negative from a year ago, especially when you consider that nobody thought Bjorkstrand was this good last year.
I think that could be argued. Maybe we weren't as confident in our opinions, but many people were on the Bjorkstrand hype train this time last year.

But I agree, Paliotta and Karlsson should at the very least be considered replacements for Golo/Chaput and Forsberg + the rise of Korpisalo should make up for Dansk's implosion.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

We were on the Bjorkstrand hype train one year ago.

We also really, really liked Wennberg (and still do).

Oh and there is one more loss... and I know this is probably a touchy subject on this board.... but I just looked back at last year's report and Mike Reilly was the number 3 prospect on our list last year.

So the big losses are Dano and Reilly... plus Wennberg's graduation. Yeah Werenski coming in offsets that a bit. Paliotta and Carlsson too. But overall its a small net loss.

Remember though that a net loss in prospects isn't a bad thing in all cases. What have you gotten out of it? Saad is a tremendous add, he's young and he's proven plus Wennberg is developping in the NHL. So while the prospect pool might have a net loss... your NHL team is better for having turned Dano (plus Anisimov and Morin) into Saad, and having a young forward in Wennberg developping.

Still overall the group is a top 5 group.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Still don't agree that we took a net loss or a "hit". Our system is equally strong as it was the previous year with the loss at forward made up for by the gains in defense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad