TSP: Columbus Blue Jackets Prospect Rankings and Scouting Reports

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Very good and comprehensive write up.

Well done. Very informative thanks.

I ask your indulgence. Before I ever hit send, I know how this is going to sound. I will apologize right up front. [RANT] My elementary school teachers taught me that poor grammar, misspellings and poor punctuation took away from writing. I struggled with it as a young lad. To get better I had to work at it...hard. They marked my work down. My parents worked with me to understand when to use commas and when not to use commas. They taught me the difference between loose and lose, and to, too and two. Oh yea....and your and you're.

So while I enjoy the content of what the writer is attempting, I can't say either "very good" or "well done", because to me it was neither.

I'm just an Old Guy, and I know it and admit it. I'm stuck in a world of internet chat boards where many of the rules are out the window. I don't expect any of my fellow posters in HF to be correct, grammatically or otherwise. Like you, I'm not getting paid for this. It seems that since those rules are out in a community like this, folks don't care about them when they are getting paid to write, even if it gets shared here. But for what it's worth, I really appreciate your submissions much more when they are well written, grammatically correct and using proper punctuation - even if I do disagree with your opinion.

When people point out my mistakes, errors or misspellings in this forum, or if I catch my own after I hit post, I'm actually embarrassed and ashamed. (For those too young and don't remember, shame was a concept that became extinct from our society sometime in the 1980's - I think Morton Downey Jr. killed it; either him or Madonna).

So, I appreciate the effort to provide more Blue Jacket commentary, analysis and coverage. But the lack of an editor, or effort to correct your work, makes me question the intelligence of the writer. Again, I know I'm an old fuddy-duddy. But it was drilled into me hard that if I ever had any hope of being taken seriously, or having my opinion or research accepted, it had to be presented in proper English.

[/RANT]

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I hear you old guy. The misspellings often strike me as lazy. It might be the lower expectations of the internet age, because this writer certainly wasn't lazy in their scouting work. Or it might just be scouting habits. Scouting reports were typically not even in full sentences, even before the internet - "Battles with aplomb".

As for the grammar and the commas, I'm a product of my age (millenial), and I'm missing some of the discerning eye you have. In my phd program, I'm a top writer and editor among the grad students, but the elder professors cut through me like a knife. I didn't even think about the grammar in the article.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If your read it quick it won't bother you. You need updated on your thinking. If it is written bad just try to find the point. And don't try to tell me dilemna doesn't have an n in it. :sarcasm: :laugh:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
My opinion has always been as long as it's well thought out and makes good points spelling and grammar mean nothing. I couldn't care less of I understand what you mean it's just being nit picky.

Anyways good write up

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I do a lot of copy editing as part of my job so the one thing that particularly bothers me is improper use of commas. The big one for me (which actually isn't in this particular article) is when I see something like "Blue Jackets goaltender, Sergei Bobrovsky won the Vezina Trophy." I never saw that before a few years ago and now it's everywhere. You don't use a comma between a description, title or position and a name. You only use it when the two elements are in apposition (i.e. they both identify the same thing in a different way), and then you also need a comma after the name. So "The Blue Jackets' goaltender, Sergei Bobrovsky, won the Vezina Trophy" or "Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky won the Vezina Trophy." Places that don't do this correctly instantly get marked in my mind as amateurish, regardless of the quality of the information. Others, especially those who don't have to pay attention to grammar and spelling for a living, might disagree, and that's fine. This is just how I feel.

That said, the information in the article was good, although there were some inaccuracies (if Dubois makes the team, Lukas Sedlak is the fourth-line center, not Motte or Schroeder; Milano and Bjorkstrand can both make the NHL team). It's difficult to find reports on a lot of these guys' defensive abilities in particular, so that is particularly appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->