***!?!? TSN's NHL draft coverage in Canada

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
So I was looking at the Calgary Sun's TV Magazine this morning because I wanted to double check TSN's draft coverage. It shows the NHL draft being televised at 4pm MT. Does this mean its not on live???

Isn't it normally on in the morning? It looks like TSN has a World Cup soccer game to show during Saturday morning. If its still live at 4pm MT, than I won't complain, but I just can't get excited to watch an NHL draft on tape delay especially since I can just turn to The Score and get indept analysis on who got drafted when.

Can someone confirm to me that this year's NHL draft will be held in the evening and it will be live? I find it odd for the NHL to have a draft at 6pm ET.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For whatever reason the NHL decided to move the draft to 6pm EST/3PM PST. Not sure if it had anything to do with the world cup being on, or they wanted to try see how it does in a later timeslot.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
don't like the starting time. It means that the draft will start at midnight here in Sweden.. and probably not be over until morning. I have some heavy coffee drinking ahead of me next weekend :)

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
It is a very strange start time. I'm going to be in Vancouver for the draft, but I don't know how many rounds I will be able to sit through with the late start time.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
boredmale said:
For whatever reason the NHL decided to move the draft to 6pm EST/3PM PST. Not sure if it had anything to do with the world cup being on, or they wanted to try see how it does in a later timeslot.

Jared Ramsden said:
It is a very strange start time. I'm going to be in Vancouver for the draft, but I don't know how many rounds I will be able to sit through with the late start time.

Isn't it just on later because the late timezone in Vancouver?
Makes sense to me :confused:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
hoppy said:
Isn't it just on later because the late timezone in Vancouver?
Makes sense to me :confused:
No, that doesn't make sense.

It's Vancouver, not some island in the Pacific. Time zone isn't a major issue. They could have started the draft at 10 or 11 PST (1 or 2 EST) and that would have been perfectly reasonable.

I just think they wanted to try something new. The NBA draft is held at night, and is hailed as a prime time event. Perhaps the NHL is looking into marketing the draft a bit differently this time around, and are just trying it to see how it turns out. It doesn't really matter though, as the St. Louis Blues will still have the first pick, whether 8 hours earlier or not.

Whingman

Nov 1, 2005
I get off work at 2:30 on saturday, I couldn't have asked for a better start time.

Last edited:

SedinFan*

I'll be there...can't pass this opportunity up.

I'm going to be one of a few that has been to the NBA draft in Vancouver, as well as the NHL draft coming up in Vancouver.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
PEOPLE! PEOPLE! PEOPLE!

I know how to look at the timezone, you can obviously look at my post and see I made a slight mistake in saying Vancouver's time zone being later.

I meant it as if since it's in Vancouver, it would be taking place later across the world.
Which was my point all along!

Duff88

May 7, 2002
You guys think this is bad? June 24th is the day of the St-Jean Baptiste which happens to be the national holiday here in Quebec (no politics here please), which means instead of drinking with my friends I'm going to be in my house, alone, watching the NHL draft...

At least by 10PM the first and second rounds should be done, hopefully not everyone is drunk by that time.

The only positive point I can see is that if the NHL keeps it's NHL Draft on Saturdays the next time this is going to happen is in 2017.

turnbuckle*

The late start may result in more wheeling and dealing perhaps. Teams have a tendency to wait until draft day to discuss movement up and down in the first round. Noon used to come pretty quickly - now teams will have an extra six hours to procrastinate.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's quite simple. The World Cup is on during the regular time slot so clearly they have to push the draft back if they want an audience for it.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
punk_o_holic said:
Oh, I've never been to a draft so I didn't know. I think I'm more stoked about the card show then hte draft.
Do you have any information on the card show? All I know is that Upper Deck is there.

billykyjoe

Jan 31, 2005
Saskatoon, SK
Kritty said:
It's quite simple. The World Cup is on during the regular time slot so clearly they have to push the draft back if they want an audience for it.
Exactly right there. There'd be no point to have the draft start at a time where more people, no matter what channel, will be watching something else, especially soccer.
It's only logical that TSN would not want to put something else on at a time where the majority of viewers would want to watch the World Cup.
It has nothing to do with time zone, just good tv sense on TSN's behalf. We all know that few people outside of Canada will be watching the draft anyway.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
billykyjoe said:
We all know that few people outside of Canada will be watching the draft anyway.
Oh, I don't know. An ancillary benefit is that many of the US teams hold draft day parties, renting out a facility (usually a hockey-friendly bar), and bringing in alumni to sign autographs, and they hold panel discussions (the Caps bring in Langway every year, for example).

This way, the east coast gets to hold bar venue draft parties starting at 6pm on the east coast, instead of the usual noon. Attractive for some teams to try that model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad