TSN : Unbalanced Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
kmad said:
I'd rather see Vancouver play Colorado, Calgary and Minnesota eight times than play each of them four times, and play a shwack of odd games against Washington, Florida, Boston, etc. I have no emotional attachment to those teams whatsoever.

See, I'm the total opposite. I want to see every single team in the league, every single player. But then, I'm foremost a *hockey* fan. I'm not watching a game just to see *my team*, I'm there to watch both.

Spungo said:
I'm sorry, but a 3 game series is not "the playoffs".

A team who finishes 10th and loses two straight to the # 7 team won't say "hey, we made the playoffs this year!" They will have missed the playoffs.

Of course it's the playoffs. The regular season is over. A large number of teams have already been eliminated. Anything that's not the regular season or the pre-season is by definition the post-season, AKA playoffs.

And do you think those games will be priced the same as regular season games, or priced like what you call the "real" playoffs?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
The Messenger said:
Tampa Bay verses their div 8 times = Playoffs by Mid Season and Stanley Cup Fav ..
Again you people don't look at the records vs. Divisions. :shakehead Tampa's record vs. the SE was less than stellar. Try again.

This sucks. No offense to other SE teams (well some of them anyway) but I'd prefer more variety and I like watching Tampa vs. the NE teams more. Oh well, only one or two more games here and there, guess we have to live with it.

ResidentAlien*

PecaFan said:
See, I'm the total opposite. I want to see every single team in the league, every single player. But then, I'm foremost a *hockey* fan. I'm not watching a game just to see *my team*, I'm there to watch both.

Of course it's the playoffs. The regular season is over. A large number of teams have already been eliminated. Anything that's not the regular season or the pre-season is by definition the post-season, AKA playoffs.

And do you think those games will be priced the same as regular season games, or priced like what you call the "real" playoffs?
Under the "For what it's worth" dept...
When there were 6 teams, 4 made the playoffs, that two thirds..the same % as the proposed formula.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I like it, growing rivalries is great IMO.

Also, on the flip side, it will make the games against the other conference all that much more interesting when they do happen, though it will probably be bad for the western Canadian teams to see less of the Leafs.

I think they should bring back divisional playoff as well, never mind this new system, just go with two divisions in each conference and the top 4 teams in each division make the POs, I would prefer that.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ResidentAlien said:
Under the "For what it's worth" dept...
When there were 6 teams, 4 made the playoffs, that two thirds..the same % as the proposed formula.

I never said a thing about the number of teams in the playoffs, but yes, I know, I watched and enjoyed many of them. Doesn't mean it was some sort of magical number. With only six teams, they were forced to admit that many teams, despite the fact that they often had to let *truly miserable* teams in, because you couldn't let all the teams in, or only two.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I like it, if for no other reason than that it gives a team more control of its own destiny when it comes to making the playoffs.

If you want to make the playoffs, then step up and beat the teams you need to beat.

ktaylor57

Jul 14, 2005
Sharks territory!
I guess Vancouver and Colorado fans are going to have to be "bored to death" by the Wild 2 more times this year, huh?

With that said, I look forward to MIN/VAN and MIN/COL games, so seeing each of them twice more a year is pretty cool.

It would be awesome if this would help bring back some REAL rivalries...you know, like the Hawks/North Stars and such of old.

Markov79

Apr 22, 2002
Canuckastan
Visit site
I have never been excited knowing that I was about to watch Kariya, Jagr, Forsberg, Iginla, etc play my team. But when I see it is Boston or Toronto I rearrange my life not to miss it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For those that believe that mini-series is the playoffs, you've been misled. They may have lasted longer than many other teams, but look at it this way:

In baseball, when two teams are tied, they have a 1-game play-in, similar to this, somewhat, except the teams won't be tied. The team that loses most certainly isn't thought to be in the playoffs, yet, they lasted longer than every other team.

16 teams are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 4 other teams were in the "Stanley Cup Playoffs play-in". A huge difference, IMO. And considering the better teams only get 1 more home game over the worse teams, I think they deserve this advantage. It makes money, it makes things harder on the under-dogs, and IMO, it's good for the game.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Hercules Rockefeller said:
16 teams are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 4 other teams were in the "Stanley Cup Playoffs play-in". A huge difference, IMO.

If you call a tail a leg, how many legs do most dogs have?

Answer: Four. Because calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Fish on The Sand said:
east is stronger pal, but nice try.

I think he means the Atlantic Division, but I'm not sure.

As for the post above that one(I'm too lazy to quote it), I'm not too sure if you agree with me or not. That post is really confusing me. But really, the play-in is just that, a play-in, as in playing in to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and you'll see that. When the 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 teams finish up, then the first round of the playoffs start.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The Messenger said:
Tampa Bay verses their div 8 times = Playoffs by Mid Season and Stanley Cup Fav ..

its too early to say that IMO
Atlanta will give Tampa a run for the division title - the Caps,Canes have been stripped and could possibly put together a good team via all the free agents available ,Panthers are no slouches -especially now that Keenan is GM ...Tampa might not have an elite goalie (Khabby rumored to be hottest free agent )anymore -IMO he was outstanding in their playoffs

southeast will be a fun division race to watch -certainly no cake walk for anyone

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
blitzkriegs said:
The object is to increase displaced fans to attend their local teams. Say, DET in CAR - a big turnout every year. NYR in LA another big turnout, etc...

That can happen anyways when everyone from the east plays everyone from the west twice a year so that makes no sense.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Spungo said:
16 teams make the Stanley Cup playoffs, period. You can't change that fact. Teams *will not* want to make the play-ins or wildcard games or whatever you want to call them. A 3 game mini-series is NOT the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You are delusional if you think otherwise.
Call it the way you want in your effort.. 20 teams will enter the post season, 82 games to eliminate 10 teams out of 30. Got it?

Spungo said:
Yeah, the 1980's sucked so bad for hockey. Soooooooooo bad. Remember all those terrible Edmonton Oilers playoff runs. They were soooooooo boring. Ugh.
Is your IQ so low that you can't realize the Edmonton playoff runs are not in any way related with the subject we were discussing?

Montrealer said:
So you're saying that 20 out of 30 (66%) of teams getting in the playoffs sucks?

And it sucked more when it was 16 out of 21?

So by that logic, it sucked when it was 4 out of 6 (66%)...
Surprising reply coming!!!

"YES IT DID!"

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
AWESOME!

home and home twice a season (i'm hoping)... hopefully the have it like baseball where the divisions play each other early and then late.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
invader Zim said:
Check Out Bobs Latest Video .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

At The End The newsguy, goes over the new schedule format.

Each team In Division 8 times

Other teams in Conference 4 times

Teams from one Division of the Other Conference 2 times.
Trolling here, didn't have time to read the entire thread.

So, like the NFL, will the other conference divisions rotate each season? That would make sense so that every three years the Rangers and San Jose would hook up.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
(In response to Montrealer's pointing out that 4 out of 6 Original Six teams made the playoffs, i.e. 66% - the same as 20 out of 30, and asking if that sucked as well)

helicecopter said:
Surprising reply coming!!!

"YES IT DID!"

So when did you become a fan, if the playoffs always sucked? I guess you must enjoy torturing yourself. I suggest you rent Battlefield Earth and enjoy yourself some more.

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
Personally, I think this is terrible. Detroit only playing Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, NYR, only once in our building every couple of years........Detroit should be moved to the East.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
blitzkriegs said:
It's NFL style.

Each team In Division 8 times

Atlantic vs. Atlantic Division teams, etc...

Other teams in Conference 4 times

Atlantic vs. Northeast, Atlantic vs. South

Teams from one Division of the Other Conference 2 times.

Atlantic vs. West playing each team in west 2 times. So, the teams in the Atlantic would not play teams in the central until the next season. Assuming this goes as planned, it would be on a rolling basis. This year: Atlantic vs. West, Next year: Atlantic vs. Central, etc...

Reduces travel time/cost to go to the same location twice then all over the map on east/west coast trips.
I like this proposed format a lot --- I think it will go a long way to developing rivalries within divisions (where it should be).

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Montrealer said:
So when did you become a fan, if the playoffs always sucked? I guess you must enjoy torturing yourself. I suggest you rent Battlefield Earth and enjoy yourself some more.
Long time ago.
What's wrong in saying that a rule sucks? What makes you think i don't enjoy a game i love (and its playoffs) because of a rule that i don't like?

In the end, why replying when you are left without arguments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad