TSN/TSN Radio vs Sportsnet/FAN590 vs The Score

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
I consume sports media probably on average about 5-8 hours a day. I get the feeling the landscape is changing though...where TSN used to be on top in the past, I think Sportsnet is making a massive run.

Here are some thoughts....interested in your opinons.

TSN / TSN Radio
- The leader over the last 20+ years
- hockey coverage is the staple - they can't do any other sport well (maybe CFL)
- on twitter, McKenzie and Dregger are heads and shoulders above the rest
- TSN radio is an absolute joke
- no free HD - they are actually pushing people to watch Sportsnet and the Score who aren't going to dish out $7/month to watch TSN in HD

Sportsnet / FAN590
- HD is free :)
- Blue Jays coverage is fantastic
- Hockey Central has turned into a real force for news (and conflict) during the lockout...interesting to see if it continues -- hated Kyper before the lockout and he and MacLean are enjoyable to listen to (even with the bickering)
- Tim and Sid poached from the Score are a real cup of tea
- Bob McCown is the king of radio and adult discussion and debate - he can write his own cheque and worth every penny...that said, can't STAND Damien Cox
- semi-alliance between FAN590 and CBC with Cherry, Friedman making regular appearances

Score
- HD is free :)
- training ground for TSN and Sportsnet
- no matter how bad they get "poached", they always seem to be taking chances on new talent
- energy and youth of the network is contageous, even for an older audience
- loved the top 50 plays format of all their new personalities discussing the plays in an open enviornment
- app is awesome

HNIC (special mention)
- NOTHING compares to HNIC on Saturdays...absolutely love what they do, and it's almost better to hear from the analysts like Hrudey, McLean and Cherry once a week than every hour (like the other competitors above)

-->From an Ottawa perspective, the coverage of the Sens is weak. I'd say Sportsnet has the lead due to Ian Mendes who has been increasing in his role on the stations.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Also wanted to add, that I've generally stopped listening to the TEAM 1200, after I contacted JR and he became really defensive about the station's programming...

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
The Score is my go to station for highlights because they show a larger number of teams highlights then TSN and SNet. If you aren't the Leafs or Nucks you're lucky to see all the goals from the game.

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
I just wish they would show all the goals of the games when doing recaps. I don't care about seeing the reporter talking for 20-30 seconds per game coverage. If it meant I could see each goal, no matter how insignificant, I would watch that stations recaps.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
The Score is my go to station for highlights because they show a larger number of teams highlights then TSN and SNet. If you aren't the Leafs or Nucks you're lucky to see all the goals from the game.

Mawlrat said:
I just wish they would show all the goals of the games when doing recaps. I don't care about seeing the reporter talking for 20-30 seconds per game coverage. If it meant I could see each goal, no matter how insignificant, I would watch that stations recaps.

Never realized that until you guys pointed it out. I think that's because Sportsnet/TSN are both "personality" driven, as opposed to The Score being primarily sports/hilights driven, and personality driven secondary.

Jerk Store*

Also wanted to add, that I've generally stopped listening to the TEAM 1200, after I contacted JR and he became really defensive about the station's programming...

I agree. They have a "holier than thou" attitude that I find very annoying. Through the whole Heritage project, not only were they the only local media outlet not to support the movement, Warne actually tried slamming it only to act like a kid in a candy store when we showed up with free jerseys for our interview.

I will say that Simmers' fan interaction, wether it be via twitter or on the show, is much appreciated. Always very polite and willing to exchange with listeners via any medium.

As for the OP, I don't get The Score with Videotron. I really enjoy the team TSN has assembled, so my vote would go for them.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
I agree. They have a "holier than thou" attitude that I find very annoying. Through the whole Heritage project, not only were they the only local media outlet not to support the movement, Warne actually tried slamming it only to act like a kid in a candy store when we showed up with free jerseys for our interview.

I will say that Simmers' fan interaction, wether it be via twitter or on the show, is much appreciated. Always very polite and willing to exchange with listeners via any medium.

As for the OP, I don't get The Score with Videotron. I really enjoy the team TSN has assembled, so my vote would go for them.

Thanks for sharing JS - I actually like both Warne and JR (I go back to the Tanta Gupta days, JR if you are reading)....but I do feel guilty for leaving them for the toronto stations (even though i'm a die hard Sens fan). I'll probably tune into TGOR and the way home (both for 30 mins each), but other than that, it's the FAN590 for me...

JS - do you have HD? Is TSN HD free with Videotron or do you pay extra? Does HD have an impact on what you watch?

OMadahey

Nov 21, 2012
capital city
Sportsnet AINEC......
Joking aside I rarely watch the score. But probably watch snet more cause I have basic cable in my room only. But id prob watch more tsn if it was on basic

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I only watch TSN. Score is never used and Sportsnet is only used for sens games.

I watch a lot of NHL Network as well.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
In defense of TSN Radio, here in Manitoba TSN1290 is actually a very good station. All local programming from 6 am - 8 pm and once the hockey season starts, there will be more again. It's quite heavily Jets-biased but who can blame them?

Jerk Store*

Thanks for sharing JS - I actually like both Warne and JR (I go back to the Tanta Gupta days, JR if you are reading)....but I do feel guilty for leaving them for the toronto stations (even though i'm a die hard Sens fan). I'll probably tune into TGOR and the way home (both for 30 mins each), but other than that, it's the FAN590 for me...

JS - do you have HD? Is TSN HD free with Videotron or do you pay extra? Does HD have an impact on what you watch?

I enjoy the show, don't get me wrong. Not the best, still a little too silly for my liking, but I listen nonetheless. We've all gotten behind some of their ideas, Church of Alfie, namely, applauded some of the stuff they do for playoff rivalries, etc., but feel they act as if no good can come from ideas outside that booth.

Anyway, Yeah TSN HD is free with videotron. It does enhance the experience, even though now I take it for granted, but I'm pissed when I'm stuck watching an SD game. Makes you appreciate it even more! Hehe ;)

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I like Ottawa's SNET team - Mendes and York are a great duo, and we've been really lucky to have Brown, Galley, and now Potvin doing the broadcasts. Their HockeyCentral broadcasts are still dependent on MacLean and Kypreos yelling to talk over each other, which is annoying, to say the least.

TSN right now is still the group to beat for national coverage (excluding CBC's technical work, obviously). Adding LeBrun was huge, gives them the 'big three' for coverage in McKenzie, LeBrun, and Dreger. I know people like to **** on Dreger, but when it comes to business news, he's usually better at grasping it than others.

The Score is good for highlights but not much else, IMO. They've started tailoring to 'fringe' sports in the past five years or so (by fringe, I mean sports that rarely receive air time on TSN or SNET, like soccer, lacrosse, etc).

Jerk Store*

I like Ottawa's SNET team - Mendes and York are a great duo, and we've been really lucky to have Brown, Galley, and now Potvin doing the broadcasts. Their HockeyCentral broadcasts are still dependent on MacLean and Kypreos yelling to talk over each other, which is annoying, to say the least.

TSN right now is still the group to beat for national coverage (excluding CBC's technical work, obviously). Adding LeBrun was huge, gives them the 'big three' for coverage in McKenzie, LeBrun, and Dreger. I know people like to **** on Dreger, but when it comes to business news, he's usually better at grasping it than others.

The Score is good for highlights but not much else, IMO. They've started tailoring to 'fringe' sports in the past five years or so (by fringe, I mean sports that rarely receive air time on TSN or SNET, like soccer, lacrosse, etc).

Yup, not to mention Jay and Dan in the morning, and James Duthie who's a brilliant host. I will admit though, I miss Pierre. He brought enthusiasm that I feel is a bit lacking, but still solid team. Kudos on the local SN team.

To return to TSN though, I could REALLY do without "The Reporters". Seems like a bunch of unionized guys they had to find a spot for. Never saying anything, stating the obvious, nothing interesting and Simmonds' little bobblehead is enough to give someone epilepsy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I really like Marty McSorley last playoffs, he was very impressive and hope he is back.

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
I think all TV outlets employ the same highlight reel guys. Every time they mention a trade-rumor (of any player) they conveniently have a highlight of them scoring on the Sens.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I think all TV outlets employ the same highlight reel guys. Every time they mention a trade-rumor (of any player) they conveniently have a highlight of them scoring on the Sens.

Yeah I kind of noticed that on the TSN Fantasy Draft show last night.:laugh: Good to see Duthie giving his home town some love with the numerous Karlsson mentions though!

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I used to love Sportsnet. When they tried to make the trade deadline special cool by ditching suits, and had Ecklund on I switched to TSN and havent looked back.

I greatly prefer Mendes to Wallace, but TSN is just so much better. Their broadcasts are the best in the business, and their on air personalities are great (other than some guy whose name I cant recall.....hes younger, skinny, was a player.....kind of a ******)

Sportsnet biggest name is Kypreos for gods sake. Twitter has really shown the SNET "insiders" for the hacks they are. Yes, I can read what McKenzie says and then say it myself 2 minutes later too!

The Score has never done anything for me. Too much that isnt hockey.

I would KILL for TSN to broadcast for the Sens like they do for MTL and WPG

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I also listen to 690 out of Montreal. Love SportsNet and Score. They talk sports in good depth. Each has its strength (Blue Jays as you say). TSN a little.

All of this goes to show how poor our station is here in Ottawa.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I used to love Sportsnet. When they tried to make the trade deadline special cool by ditching suits, and had Ecklund on I switched to TSN and havent looked back.

I greatly prefer Mendes to Wallace, but TSN is just so much better. Their broadcasts are the best in the business, and their on air personalities are great (other than some guy whose name I cant recall.....hes younger, skinny, was a player.....kind of a ******)

Sportsnet biggest name is Kypreos for gods sake. Twitter has really shown the SNET "insiders" for the hacks they are. Yes, I can read what McKenzie says and then say it myself 2 minutes later too!

The Score has never done anything for me. Too much that isnt hockey.

I would KILL for TSN to broadcast for the Sens like they do for MTL and WPG

I'm guessing Mike Johnson(spelling?). Skinny black haired former Maple Leaf who craps on Ottawa every chance that he gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->