TSN/The Source Reports Proposal Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
NYIsles1 said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it's either a ten percent increase three times which approaches 70 million and changes nothing or it's a 57 million as a ceiling which they can only reach three times, which either way does not make a lot of sense because at some point those teams must increase and decrease. Three times in six years is three times in six years.

This is still way too big a disparity which corporate owners willing to spend and lose will continue to exploit for advantages. The game needs a hard-cap between 45-50 million with a real revenue sharing formula considering the financial trouble the sport is in even in the so-called large markets.

The frame work should be there for that kind of agreement.

Absolute max is $57.2 million, there's no compound 10% raise each year. Not sure where you got that from.

If you are at $52 million, you are already dishing out an extra $6 million in luxury taxes, so you're paying $58 million. If you really want to sign a player for $5.2 million to get you to the over-cap, you will have to pay $13 million total. I would say that's a huge pay cheque for a $5 million player, and a pretty good detriment. Only a few teams, if that, would be able and willing to pay that. On top of that, you only have three years, so eventually this grossly over-spending big market team will have to go into cut-salary mode, which takes them right out of any type of free agent bidding mode.

The PA knows that without revenue sharing, a bunch of teams will be spending at or near the lower limit. So they have to allow some teams to go up to (and possibly over) the $52 million in order to balance out the average salary. More revenue sharing would allow a lower cap.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Owners are *extremely competitive*. Always have been, which is why there are so many "crazy contracts". They will do anything possible to gain an advantage over other teams.

That's what I'm getting at here. You have to "think weasel", and make sure you eliminate all potential ways of avoiding the cap, otherwise teams will simply blow right through this. And you have to implement *immense* fines if teams come up with ways of circumventing the cap that you didn't think of.

Remember the so called "cap" on entry level salaries? The ones that paid Kovalchuk over $4 million, when he was "capped" at $1 million? Same principle.

It's not hard to do, you just institue extremely harsh penalties ala the NBA and NFL. Huge fines and losst of draft picks.

The Minnesota Timberwolves lost 5 first round picks for trying to circumvent the cap a few years back.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Now speaking the same language but still miles apart on the economics side of things.

30 teams at 40 million is already far too high at 1.2 billion or at least 75% of potential gross revenues so the owners would be no further ahead.

One thing has become crystal clear though = the owners always said this fight was about money and how they didn't want to pay more than 52-55% of G.R. to the players = the players just made a statement with their 52 million cap figure that proves they don't really care about the health of the NHL, just their pocket books.

Unless the owners get a 32-40 mill hard cap at both ends with a luxury tax starting at 35 mill they will be no further ahead and actually may be worse off because of the damage done to the image of the game in recent months and years. :shakehead :shakehead

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
It's not hard to do, you just institue extremely harsh penalties ala the NBA and NFL. Huge fines and losst of draft picks.

The Minnesota Timberwolves lost 5 first round picks for trying to circumvent the cap a few years back.

That wasn't going over the cap number, that was a secret agreement for the years after the current contract year when the Wolves could then use the exception to go over the cap to sign their "own" player.

You had to be three years with the team to get those rights, so the Wolves and player (Joe Smith) agreed to a one year deal for year three with a secret and completely illegal deal for the five years after year three.

Shouldn't be a problem in a hard cap regime unless there are some sort of under the table payments, which you'd just enforce with fines or losses of draft picks.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
pacde said:
If that report is true and the NHL doesnt do something with it, Im changing sides in this debate. I think revenue sharing has to be a part of the new CBA and if this is truly the deal the PA is offering, then the NHL is crossing the line of reason where the PA used to be.I like the 60/40 model of revenue sharing, or even the 70/30. The teams split the gate at 60/40 or 70/30 for every game. The NHLPA is completely reasonable with this.

I'll give you 90/10. Maybe better, like 70/30, if the visiting team has a similar or lower salary. I don't see why so much of my season ticket payment should go to teams with higher salaries when many of them can't fill their own buildings. I want my dollars to go towards the improvement of my team. Why should the fans in strong markets pay premium prices to support the teams in weaker markets? The owners and the players should be able to make it work without putting the burden on the fans.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
eye said:
Now speaking the same language but still miles apart on the economics side of things.

30 teams at 40 million is already far too high at 1.2 billion or at least 75% of potential gross revenues so the owners would be no further ahead.

One thing has become crystal clear though = the owners always said this fight was about money and how they didn't want to pay more than 52-55% of G.R. to the players = the players just made a statement with their 52 million cap figure that proves they don't really care about the health of the NHL, just their pocket books.

Unless the owners get a 32-40 mill hard cap at both ends with a luxury tax starting at 35 mill they will be no further ahead and actually may be worse off because of the damage done to the image of the game in recent months and years. :shakehead :shakehead

And you keep on repeating everything that comes from the owners as FACT. My god, you're a sheep.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
eye said:

I see, it's in bold, therefore it must be true.

The owners would be doing backflips if they got salaries down to $1.2 billion. Of course they would have to take it upon themselves to get revenues back up to the pre-lockout days, god forbid the owners would have to do this themselves instead take a chunk of the players' salaries back.

The owners got rid of linkage, but you're still wrapped up in percentages of gross revenues. You're more pro-owner than the owners are. Enough already.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
And you keep on repeating everything that comes from the owners as FACT. My god, you're a sheep.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have done enough research to draw my own conclussions. Like I told you before you don't do your username any justice. Feel free to back up your argument agaisnt what I said; but getting personal is not contributing to this board and you have done more than your share of just that. Scotty would set much higher standards for those that want to use his name.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
JohnnyReb said:
Are you saying that they should chuck the whole cap idea because owners are too competitive?

No, I'm just saying it may not actually be a cap, if there are no actual restrictions.

We haven't seen any sign yet of penalties, restrictions, what counts as salaries, how are the numbers calculated, are signing bonuses considered salary, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad