TSN: The ratification vote and news conference has been set for Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
OTTSENS said:
Patience my friends is coming.
:handclap: ;)
Well, I think as hockey fans we can both agree that when this thing finally ends (officially), we'll all be smiling. :)

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
JayPSU said:
The problem is that now all the PC quotes and news for the newspapers will be on a weekend which is bad for spreading word around. Another STUPID move by the morons of the NHL.

Bingo. Saturday newspaper circulation is pathetic, and now the draft lottery -- which has the chance to be a huge media event, but one that the league is strangely squandering -- will be gobbled up by weekend baseball, golf, and racing news.

Ah, the NEW NHL...

Gus Fring

May 16, 2004
Ottawa
this is bull **** it better not be late on friday cause im going to the cottage at like 6 and if it hasent happened yet ill have to tell my friends to wait to hit the road cause i gotta watch it

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
missK said:
There have been reports that Irbe and Goodenow are trying to lobby players for NO votes and were for pushing out the vote date.
Can I get a link to the report? I'd be interested in seeing its sourcing.

Other than that, the article makes clear that the BOG vote is what was pushed to Friday, not anything on the NHLPA side....

Crows*

I just got back from work and gave my thursday shift to someone else.. now this comes up :rant:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Typical NHL.Saturday is the day when people usually do not read the newspaper.They say if you want to bury a bad story,then you should release the information to the public on a Friday afternoon in the summer.If it was Thursday,the paper on Friday is widely read by people planning their weekends.Movie schedules.
Concerts.Theaters.What sports are on TV

CH Wizard

RangerBoy said:
Typical NHL.Saturday is the day when people usually do not read the newspaper.They say if you want to bury a bad story,then you should release the information to the public on a Friday afternoon in the summer.If it was Thursday,the paper on Friday is widely read by people planning their weekends.Movie schedules.

Good point.Yeah, the ratification will be A BIG EVENT.Not only they gonna announce the results of the lottery but they'll also give the CBA DETAILS.

I'm sure that's why they delayed the conference...friday is really a busy day for everybody and all...good timing imo.

We're hardcore fans that's why we're be pissed off.Average fans would laugh at us because we waited all year long and we can't wait a little 4,5 days now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kritter471 said:
Can I get a link to the report? I'd be interested in seeing its sourcing.

Other than that, the article makes clear that the BOG vote is what was pushed to Friday, not anything on the NHLPA side....
I'd be interested in a link as well. It's not that I don't trust missK; I just haven't seen anything that points to Irbe or Goodenow specifically trying to push the date back.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Cloned said:
I'd be interested in a link as well. It's not that I don't trust missK; I just haven't seen anything that points to Irbe or Goodenow specifically trying to push the date back.

Not sure about the pushing back of the voting date but here is a reason I do not like Irbe.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=1670

At one point, in a caucus among the executive committee and the union leadership, a vote was taken. Everyone was asked if he believed the players could get a better deal by waiting until the following winter. Of the eight people in the room, six said the deal would not get any better. Only Goodenow and Artus Irbe, a veteran player on the verge of retirement, voted to wait.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
RangerBoy said:

You're right - they should definately announce everything on Thursday before the NHLPA has counted the votes.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Spongebob said:
Hey isn't the voting aspect of this deal just a formality anyway. ;)

Does anybody really think this thing will get voted down? :confused:

I don't think a soul thinks it'll get voted down... but they were probably asked by the NHLPA to wait until Friday so they could count up all the votes (and not get any players upset by suggesting their votes don't count).

Of course, anything's possible... ;)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Somewhere I read that lawyers were dotting the final I's and J's and crossing the T's which may be one reason for the delay.

(Hello, Kinkos? I need 500 copies of a 600 page document by tomorrow. What? You can't guarantee security of bad copies? Thanks, but no. ... Hello, Xerox? I need ten machines each capable of 30,000 pages/day. Can I rent them for a couple of days? Great; please deliver to ... :dunno: ;) )

Now a question is with Ovechkin's 7/20 deadline to exit his Russian contract, will he be able to play in the NHL next season? There may/will not be a deal in place until at least 7/22. (Not to mention the lack of transfer agreement.)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Spongebob said:
Hey isn't the voting aspect of this deal just a formality anyway. ;)

Does anybody really think this thing will get voted down? :confused:

If some owner or GM spouts off about how they took the players to school etc., and starts rubbing it in, the players could turn against it. There's a lot of uncouth, classless individuals involved here that lack common sense. Any one of them could derail it with a few mispoken words.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
jadeddog said:
yup, these guys dont do anything fast do they? i work on friday :( so i might not be able to watch it live.... this sucks

Well I'm off on Friday, so clearly this is why it was changed.

Well done NHL.

littleD

Reading Mark Spector in the National Post this morning, he said that the NHL doesn't even know when they want to hold their news conference. Could be Thursday, could be Friday. I personally wouldn't surprised if they dragged on until Monday.

And how bush league does the NHL continue to look when the heads of the league and the players assosciation can't even get together for a news conference announcing the return of the game?

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
NJD Jester said:
Bingo. Saturday newspaper circulation is pathetic, and now the draft lottery -- which has the chance to be a huge media event, but one that the league is strangely squandering -- will be gobbled up by weekend baseball, golf, and racing news.

Ah, the NEW NHL...

OK, first of all, you guys need to grab a clue. Saturday circulation is generally WAY higher than weekday circulation. The Toronto Star, for example, circulates over 650,000 Saturday copies and less than 500,000 on a weekday.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=tsmediakit/Render&c=Page&cid=1078234009627

The same is true for most, if not all, other papers. Moreover, Saturday readers spend materially more time reading the paper than on weekdays.

Secondly, golf, baseball, racing, etc. has nothing to do with timing, nor should it. In New York, supposedly a market we are supposed to care a lot about, had Yankees-Red Sox previews on the front page the day after the announcement -- a day on which there was NOTHING else in sports going on.

Papers in Canada and other big markets will carry it, duh, and others won't. It doesn't matter what the timing is.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RangerBoy said:

Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad