TSN - The Hitchcock Effect

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What the oilers are doing right now is a boost. Apparently I’m wrong on how common it is, but it sure seems like every time the Avs have made a coaching change, the next guy lit the world on fire for a while no matter how bad the coach ended up being in the end.

I’m not saying Hitch is bad. I’m just saying that it’s really early to stamp it a success.

I wouldn't chalk it up to a new coach boost.

Usually that's from guys playing extra hard for the new coach and the Oilers are doing that, but they are playing vastly different. Hitch has everyone playing in a role that suits them and has them playing a system that fits a lower skill team.

And Hitch actually line matching is the cherry on top. McDavid doesn't play 90% of his ice time against opposition top pairs anymore and you don't see the 4th line and 3rd pairing set out as a unit against the other team's rested top line after a goal. It's so refreshing.

Reactions: North

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
How many games has it been again?

90% of teams play with a fire under their arse when a new coach comes in. We made Willie Dejardins look like a competent coach.

Save this kind of talk for when you make the playoffs.

Actually look at the video. It’s very interesting when you consider how thin the roster is and how little talent they have.

Reactions: Coffey

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So whats the oilers record under Hitchcock now?

After a hot start it seems like the team is back to reality.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm starting to think Hitch is losing his touch. They've blown consecutive 3rd period leads in the last 3 games. Yet somehow, amazingly they are 3 points one way from a playoff spot and 3 points from last place in the west.

You can't make this up

Reactions: HugginThePost

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm starting to think Hitch is losing his touch. They've blown consecutive 3rd period leads in the last 3 games. Yet somehow, amazingly they are 3 points one way from a playoff spot and 3 points from last place in the west.

You can't make this up

That's just how cluttered the playoff race is in the West. LA is dead last in the conference and even they're only six points back of the second WC spot. Hell, Dallas has won their last five and they're only seven points clear of the 9th seed. Going to be a hectic dash to the finish, no doubt.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
You went from the Oilers gonna Oil to the Golden State Warriors Variety Hour?
haha Nope. I'm a Jazzman.

giphy.gif

And yea.. Having GSW exist is a pain in the ass to the rest of the league, but this should be the last year of the dynasty before players start moving on.

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
haha Nope. I'm a Jazzman.

giphy.gif

And yea.. Having GSW exist is a pain in the ass to the rest of the league, but this should be the last year of the dynasty before players start moving on.

I honestly can't hate on them too much - I mean, sure, they're annoying, but they've done nothing wrong realistically. I personally just see them as a wakeup call of sorts for the teams who've been coasting for far too long.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I honestly can't hate on them too much - I mean, sure, they're annoying, but they've done nothing wrong realistically. I personally just see them as a wakeup call of sorts for the teams who've been coasting for far too long.
Can't blame players that are chasing a ring over money.

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
Can't blame players that are chasing a ring over money.

But you can blame teams that are content to do as little as possible, slacking for years. At some point, players will get frustrated over the inaction.

I mean, when the owner of your teams tells a loyal supporter for decades to go cheer for another team because we don't want you if you're gonna complain, what message does that send to players? You then look at other teams, where the owner cares more about his irrelevant baseball team than the basketball team, a team where the owner cares more about his daughter's pop career than the team....players, I'm sure, are just as observant of this crap like fans are, and they'll sign with teams that aren't so dysfunctional.

If you ask me, I think the Warriors are hated because of simple jealousy. Their team actually has a great front office that knows how to draft, no doubt due to all the ex-Spurs guys in their ranks, and an owner who actually puts his own money towards a new arena instead of bilking the city for tax dollars better spent elsewhere. Same can be said about the Patriots, especially because they're in a league that has even less parity. I mean, when Tom Brady's done more in one season than most of the league has in fifty or so years, something's terribly wrong.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
But you can blame teams that are content to do as little as possible, slacking for years. At some point, players will get frustrated over the inaction.

I mean, when the owner of your teams tells a loyal supporter for decades to go cheer for another team because we don't want you if you're gonna complain, what message does that send to players? You then look at other teams, where the owner cares more about his irrelevant baseball team than the basketball team, a team where the owner cares more about his daughter's pop career than the team....players, I'm sure, are just as observant of this crap like fans are, and they'll sign with teams that aren't so dysfunctional.

If you ask me, I think the Warriors are hated because of simple jealousy. Their team actually has a great front office that knows how to draft, no doubt due to all the ex-Spurs guys in their ranks, and an owner who actually puts his own money towards a new arena instead of bilking the city for tax dollars better spent elsewhere. Same can be said about the Patriots, especially because they're in a league that has even less parity. I mean, when Tom Brady's done more in one season than most of the league has in fifty or so years, something's terribly wrong.
Of course people will hate the best teams due to jealousy.
Nobody wants their favourite team to lose to 5 All Stars lol it's pretty soul-crushing to be beating GSW after the 3rd and then have them drop constant 3-pointers in the 4th like they have an NBA Jam "On Fire" mode on. haha

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
Of course people will hate the best teams due to jealousy.
Nobody wants their favourite team to lose to 5 All Stars lol it's pretty soul-crushing to be beating GSW after the 3rd and then have them drop constant 3-pointers in the 4th like they have an NBA Jam "On Fire" mode on. haha

At least it's not the Lakers. Their fans' massive egos would make this even worse.

Reactions: Eichel9

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I remember the jump the Blues got when they hired him and how within a few year knew he wasn’t the answer. But with the young guys in Edmonton, at least they will learn gown to care about defense and the forecheck.
I thought he was a great coach that stayed a bit past his expiration date. He did a great job of developing a system, got players to care about the game, and developed young guys well (Schwartz, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Fabbri).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad