TSN - The Hitchcock Effect

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The rest of the League is starting to take notice of what is happening in Edmonton, I’m hearing a lot of love in the media and on HF.

Hitch was the missing piece to bringing this squad back to their dominant place in the League. When it comes to playoffs, other than Nashville I don’t see any teams that have an answer in the west. With a healthy McDavid this team will be winning multiple Cups.
Do you really believe what you've posted or are you just attempting to get a reaction from other HF members? If it's the latter, mission accomplished.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
The rest of the League is starting to take notice of what is happening in Edmonton, I’m hearing a lot of love in the media and on HF.

Hitch was the missing piece to bringing this squad back to their dominant place in the League. When it comes to playoffs, other than Nashville I don’t see any teams that have an answer in the west. With a healthy McDavid this team will be winning multiple Cups.
Did someone copy and paste this quote from 2015 or something? It sounds like. You do realize their GM has given away 3-4 high end assetts, signed Lucic and Russell, and drafted a 4th overall bust since then right?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
How many games has it been again?

90% of teams play with a fire under their arse when a new coach comes in. We made Willie Dejardins look like a competent coach.

Save this kind of talk for when you make the playoffs.

The Hawthorne Effect

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Probably not with Hitchcock. Last nights game was most likely an outlier for McDavid's chances of catching up to Rantanen and co. I'll take Hitchcock every day for how the team's been playing so far because they're winning, but I doubt it's going to help McDavid much for his Art Ross chances
McDavid will be fine. Don't worry about him. If you'd actually cared to watch him the past few games before last night (which it seems like you should have), you'd have realized that he's been playing sick and he + his linemates have had almost no puck luck.'

Hitchcock's system is not hampering him because Hitch knows how to properly utilize his generational player.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
"Play McDavid more" is obviously a fantastic strategy for the short term, but it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs if all your best players are run into the ground and you get bounced in the first round (ask STL fans).

Hitch does have a great defensive system though, that shouldn't be news to anyone.

Hitchcock is playing McDavid & a few others a lot but could you imagine the icetime if they were ever awarded any powerplays.

It's incredible how all the defenders never foul him. Great veteran plays I'm sure.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
TSN probably should have held up on this until after the Oilers play the next three games against Calgary, Colorado and Winnipeg.

Every team pretty much has a coaching change bump, but the past 10 games for the Oilers hasn't featured a lot of tough teams.

The level of talent on that team will drag the Oilers back down soon enough. They gained 2 points on one team that's in the playoffs in the last 10 games, that shows how difficult it is to catch up even if you go on a hot streak after you've fallen behind.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't you plebs know that everytime a new coach is hired the team starts playing well for a stretch of time? .... just look at the other coaching changes in LA, Chicago, and STL for confirmation.

Must be an error on NHL.com.

I've been told every team gets a huge boost from a new coach, but I'm seeing a combined 12-24-3 record for those teams under their new coaches.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If thats the case then there should be a thread for the other 3 teams that got new coaches
CHI (Nov. 6): 3-10-2 .267 win %
LA (Nov. 4): 6-10-0 .375 win %
STL (Nov. 20): 3-4-1 .434 win %
Records since new coaches.

For LA and St Louis, that’s improvement.

The oilers are 5-1 (I think) since hiring Hitch. Good for them. But the new coach pop isn’t the time to say the problems have been resolved.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
For all of you discrediting this with “it’s just a new coach!!” I’m not saying they will get into the playoffs or go on a tear. I’m just posting a video on how Hitch has changed the style of play they put on the ice and how it’s helping them. Relax doomsayers.

If thats the case then there should be a thread for the other 3 teams that got new coaches
CHI (Nov. 6): 3-10-2 .267 win %
LA (Nov. 4): 6-10-0 .375 win %
STL (Nov. 20): 3-4-1 .434 win %
Records since new coaches.
And this.

Must be an error on NHL.com.

I've been told every team gets a huge boost from a new coach, but I'm seeing a combined 12-24-3 record for those teams under their new coaches.
And this.

Last edited:

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007

The oilers are 5-1 (I think) since hiring Hitch. Good for them. But the new coach pop isn’t the time to say the problems have been resolved.
St Louis actually has a worse win percentage than before the new coach was brought in, so you're wrong there. And also for Los Angeles they go from a winning percentage of .346 before the new coach to .375 after the hiring (that equates to less than 5 points over a full season). I really have no idea what your idea of a "boost" is.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
St Louis actually has a worse win percentage than before the new coach was brought in, so you're wrong there. And also for Los Angeles they go from a winning percentage of .346 before the new coach to .375 after the hiring (that equates to less than 5 points over a full season). I really have no idea what your idea of a "boost" is.
He doesn’t either. Just trying to discredit the Hitch.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Don't you plebs know that everytime a new coach is hired the team starts playing well for a stretch of time? .... just look at the other coaching changes in LA, Chicago, and STL for confirmation.
There is no confirmation. Your post is full of shit. lol Suddenly you disappeared never to be seen again.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hitch never looks like a bad hire in his first year.

This was obviously a hire with the shortest term thinking.

The oilers see a weak division, and they have a coach right in their backyard who is proven to get short term results everywhere he goes. They can worry about the big picture later.

Ciarelli needs at least a playoff berth to build a case as to why he should still be the GM, and from that perspective, he hired a good candidate.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse

Since Hitch came in the Oilers are 6-2-1. Of course there are still problems but the fact that Edmonton are back in the playoff picture has people excited. The next stretch of games will be telling.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

I dont think anyone is saying all the problems have been resolved, and I agree that they havnt. But its been a good change so far. How long do you think until they would be past the new coach boost?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

Where is the /s?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

What the oilers are doing right now is a boost. Apparently I’m wrong on how common it is, but it sure seems like every time the Avs have made a coaching change, the next guy lit the world on fire for a while no matter how bad the coach ended up being in the end.

I’m not saying Hitch is bad. I’m just saying that it’s really early to stamp it a success.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
What the oilers are doing right now is a boost. Apparently I’m wrong on how common it is, but it sure seems like every time the Avs have made a coaching change, the next guy lit the world on fire for a while no matter how bad the coach ended up being in the end.

I’m not saying Hitch is bad. I’m just saying that it’s really early to stamp it a success.
it's a new coach boost because unlike mclellan Hitchcock knows how to use guys to their strengths and is actually communicating his expectations better with the players. Even simple line matching is something mclellan didn't do. He is making a positive influence because he is a flat out better coach and is getting more out of the roster. Mclellan lost the team last year and never got it back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->