Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129964

7/8/2005 5:51:02 PM

The NHL and NHL Players' Association will continue talks this weekend after meeting for a fifth straight day in New York on Friday as they continued to inch closer to a collective bargaining agreement.

A deal could be reached as soon as this weekend but more likely early next week.

EDIT - FYI, this is a CP article also appearing on Sportsnet.

ResidentAlien*

Jobu said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129964

7/8/2005 5:51:02 PM

The NHL and NHL Players' Association will continue talks this weekend after meeting for a fifth straight day in New York on Friday as they continued to inch closer to a collective bargaining agreement.

A deal could be reached as soon as this weekend but more likely early next week.

EDIT - FYI, this is a CP article also appearing on Sportsnet.

I saw that too, funny the first thing I did after reading the title on tsn was check the date. I wanted to make sure that I wasnt looking at an old story in my cache from last friday...this is like the energizer bunny..it keeps going and going....

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
This is the "We're sending out for Chinese!" phase of the negotiation process, I would think. :)

It also looks like we've got a bit of a deadline on our hands. They're shooting for monday.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Digger12 said:
This is the "We're sending out for Chinese!" phase of the negotiation process, I would think. :)

It also looks like we've got a bit of a deadline on our hands. They're shooting for monday.

:biglaugh: Yep the NHL and NHLPA will be sending out for food on the weekend to get this done....then It is going to get PERTY busy around here....

...it's all good..I might even forgive this whole "year off" business and cash in on some major bonus points I earned with the wife for not watching hockey for a WHOLE YEAR. Do you realize that is practically cart blanch as far as watching hockey and going on internet hockey forums this next season...wooohooooo~!!!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
EKLUND is saying they are NOT meeting over the weekend. He said a very high source told him that at 3:00pm.

edit- now he's saying he could be wrong

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
pinnaclewm said:
just get it over with!!!! I want the Free Agent season to start!!!!

Patience, grasshopper. :teach: ;)

Even if the sides have "an agreement in principle" by Monday, it then needs to be ratified by the Board of Governors and a majority of the NHLPA membership. (I'm guessing approval will take 3-7 days.)

Then there's a "transistional" phase. In the first part, the GMs will meet with the NHL, the agents with the NHLPA, to learn "where's the beef" in the new CBA. Then the GMs will have to get busy with calculators and lots of paper and ink, making some decisions: buy out deals, qualifying offers/not to RFAs, offers/not to potential UFAs, signing drafted college grads, signing 2003+ draftees (as "required"; this last needs to occur before the draft as some players may get back into the draft pool). (I'm guessing this phase will last up to two weeks.)

Then the free agency period will begin.

And somewhere in another timeline, perhaps concurrent with the above, will be the draft lottery and the entry draft themselves. (Will the order of past "pre-6/30" deadlines be maintained, or will the entry draft happen "after" the free agency period begins?)

And will the new CBA change the draft age deadline from 9/15 to be 12/31? That could mean that some highly touted players pencilled in as top choices for the 2006 draft would be available this year.

:confused:

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
FLYLine4LIFE said:
EKLUND is saying they are NOT meeting over the weekend. He said a very high source told him that at 3:00pm.

I knew EVENTUALLY I'd buy something he said.

The Joker*

FLYLine4LIFE said:

So obviously his "source" (himself) was lacking lol

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
That Eklund thing makes no sense.

how does a "very high" official say they're NOT meeting over the weekened, and leave a chance to be wrong.

I mean your not even ballparking anymore Eklund, it's like someone asking for directions and you point left and right.

technicly your half right, but everyone knows it's BS

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Ekocaine is bad. The CBA Is My Anti-Ekocaine.

Read the thing under my name and my Avatar daily, and meditate on it. You'll feel better about yourself an this process.

hockeyplaya46290

Jul 4, 2005
SSJTOM said:
That Eklund thing makes no sense.

how does a "very high" official say they're NOT meeting over the weekened, and leave a chance to be wrong.

I mean your not even ballparking anymore Eklund, it's like someone asking for directions and you point left and right.

technicly your half right, but everyone knows it's BS

It makes perfect sense when Eklund could be a kid living in the basement making up everything he says and just posting what is being reported on other sited like tsn.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
hockeyplaya46290 said:
It makes perfect sense when Eklund could be a kid living in the basement making up everything he says and just posting what is being reported on other sited like tsn.

could be?

i just question if he has his Moms OK to even use the computer.

this ranks up there with his "Told You so" posts when the "Deal" was announced in febuary.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
MattintheHatt said:
I think my "Eklund" phase is over. I still check the site, but I dont take anything I read there seriously now.

Hey, thanks for sharing that. I was worried, there. "Is MattintheHatt still reading a website? I must know!!!1!11!1one!1!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad