News Article: TSN:Stephen Weiss a target? Flip Unaffordable and Letang Available?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ah nuts.

Man, I don't know how anyone who watched Torres with the Sharks doesn't see how good he is. Even with the suspensions.

He's everything the Red Wings wish Justin Abdelkader was

I just think he has too big of a target on his back. I think he's painted himself into a corner and he won't be able to play on the edge or he'll get suspended every postseason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really would have liked Torres, do think his history with the league is a problem. But he skates hard and is big with some skills to go with it.

Basically swapping out Clowe for Torres is one of the things the Sharks did well. Also important to note for those who want Clowe with his ridiculous demands.

I know they also moved Burns up, but Torres was a big part of how they juggled those lines and made some things happen.

Know he is hurt all the time, but does anybody think Havlat will hit the market there? Are the Sharks too cheap to buy him out? Curious haven't heard much on him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really would have liked Torres, do think his history with the league is a problem. But he skates hard and is big with some skills to go with it.

Basically swapping out Clowe for Torres is one of the things the Sharks did well. Also important to note for those who want Clowe with his ridiculous demands.

I know they also moved Burns up, but Torres was a big part of how they juggled those lines and made some things happen.

Know he is hurt all the time, but does anybody think Havlat will hit the market there? Are the Sharks too cheap to buy him out? Curious haven't heard much on him.

I thought there were rumors around Havlat having played his last game as a Shark, but I'm not sure they had any weight to them.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Praise the Lord!

I know, right? Imagine how stupid they're going to feel when they realize that he is actually physical and hits people, along with scoring goals now and then. Should you or I start a thread on the Wings maybe singing Daniel Briere now that he's going to get bought out because we can never have enough of those smallish players, right?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I know, right? Imagine how stupid they're going to feel when they realize that he is actually physical and hits people, along with scoring goals now and then. Should you or I start a thread on the Wings maybe singing Daniel Briere now that he's going to get bought out because we can never have enough of those smallish players, right?
Briere is a chippy, nasty little guy. For every hockey hit Torres gives out, Briere gives out 2 slashes. He also had that 30 point playoff run not long ago, so he's at least a guy who can show up in the playoffs. Not that I'm particularly in favor, but it's not the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Who would want the leading scorer in the playoffs since the big lockout.... Crazy idea.:shakehead

Briere doesn't mind contact his playoff numbers indicate that. Briere on a short term for reasonable money is a tremendous pickup.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not happy or upset about the Sharks re-signing Torres. Yeah, he is physical. Yeah, he pots goals and can make a difference now and again. I have never been convinced about how much he will help based on him always being focused on for big penalties and suspensions, as well as the fact he has bounced from team to team.

Besides I think of the guy as a Matt Cooke who has more size and less sense.

RedWingsNow*

I'm just not keen on giving anymore 5-7 year deals on non elite talent. I like the idea of Iginla or Briere 100% more than Horton or Clarkson.

You're the Babcock fan. He's the guy who elevates scrubs like Abdelakder and Cleary to top lines while the Hudlers, Nyquists and Tatars site on lines 3, 4 and the AHL

If you actually subscribe to the coach's views, I can see wanting Iginla... but Briere?

Why?

RedWingsNow*

Who would want the leading scorer in the playoffs since the big lockout.... Crazy idea.:shakehead

Briere doesn't mind contact his playoff numbers indicate that. Briere on a short term for reasonable money is a tremendous pickup.

I wouldn't kill myself if Briere signed in Detroit. He has some upside.

But I'd rather get a couple guys on this team that the coach wants.

Besides -- every small guy we sign is a small prospect Babcock will bury

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You're the Babcock fan. He's the guy who elevates scrubs like Abdelakder and Cleary to top lines while the Hudlers, Nyquists and Tatars site on lines 3, 4 and the AHL

If you actually subscribe to the coach's views, I can see wanting Iginla... but Briere?

Why?

He likes veterans regardless of size. It's not like Filppula was big, but he was defensively responsible. It's not like Rafalski was great defensively, but he played a ton. If they can play, Babcock will play them, I think Nyquist and Tatar will get plenty of top 6 time next year.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I think Briere would be a great signing if he fit into our budget, but I somehow doubt he will end up here. A friend of mine is a huge Flyers fan and apparently he says they'd have loved him to stay and mostly blame the GM for the stupid contract that means he HAS to go if they want to redo the team.

If you want skill/scoring though; that guy has the skills to pay the bills. It can't all be video game hockey. I'm fine with either Weiss or Briere; if the price is right. If the price isn't, I'm also fine with going into the fall with the kids and seeing what happens for half a season.

Just my 2 cents I guess.

RedWingsNow*

Anyone else think Clarkson is going to be a giant bust wherever he goes next year?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I believe he will give whoever he signs with 2 decent seasons but after the second he will definatley be busting hard. Also for him to do well he needs to be on a line with a good center so more than likely he won't do great if he goes after pure money on this contract.

Happy torres signed elsewhere than here. The only player I would like on our team that isw torres compariable would be Chris Neil and if I remember correctly ottawa has him under contract for 2-3 years more and by then he could be to broke down to make it worth signing him (ala ryan clowe).

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Amazing the wildly divergent opinions; personally I think Clarkson is at least in part a product of "well someone HAS to score, even on a team that doesn't have a lot of talent". I still think he's very good mind you, but maybe not as good as his goals make him look the past 2 years. Interestingly enough however:

On r/DetroitRedWings and a couple other forums I visit, Clarkson is basically regarded as the Lord's gift to Power Fowards and the second coming of Brendan Shanahan. I'd say more Wings fans in those places want to sign him than ppl want to sign Nathan Horton.

What is it about Clarkson ppl don't like? I know the people who DO like him in those places see "30 goals" so that side is easy to understand :)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Zetterberg was better offensively in the regular season and playoffs than Datsyuk. Just FYI.

I think you misinterpreted me. I said it that way because Z is outproducing Dats. Dats has already had a minor slide in numbers, while Z looked better this year than he has in a while, IMO. I am preparing for him to slow down as Datsyuk has, ever so slightly.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Think he winds up an awful lot like how people in Tampa feel about Malone.

Malone has been injured a lot but he's given them a big body and 20+ goals more often than not. Maybe his body is just finally giving up, but I'd have a hard time complaining about what he's given them the past five years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->