News Article: TSN:Stephen Weiss a target? Flip Unaffordable and Letang Available?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Stories featured on the TSN segment insider trading.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425809

Does Pavel Datsyuk's extension mean Valtteri Filppula is unaffordable for the Red Wings?

Dreger: It seems that way. He's a pending unrestricted free agent and word on the street suggests that Filppula wants as much as $5.5 million per year on a mega-deal. Outside the organization - seven years, inside - eight years. That's too much.

LeBrun: The Panthers are trying to sign Stephen Weiss but if he is not re-signed, he's perhaps a target for Detroit if Filppula walks

On Letang:
GM meetings on Wednesday that the two will meet in what could be a pivotal moment in terms of the future of Letang. He has a year left on his current deal but consider Shero's M.O. here. A year ago when Jordan Staal rejected an offer from the Penguins, he was traded in about eight minutes. Well, it was about 48 hours but you get the drift. He's not going to let Letang go into next season, I don't think, as a potential unrestricted free agent for next summer. Either he signs him or I think he trades him.

Interesting on Letang, sounds like he could be available immediately if these contract talks don't go the way Shero wants.

You can find video on TSN under NHL: Insider trading June 18.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They can afford Filppula at that price, they just aren't going to give it to him. That is a big difference, we all know with Capgeek we are giving Horton that kind of money no problem.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i wouldnt trade for letang, he is too one dimensional for the money he wants

if a dman wants 7 plus million he best be as good as weber, chara and suter otherwise take a hike

weiss would be a perfect fit for our 2nd line centre duties and would give us solid centre depth

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Letang = Rafalski. 6.0-6.5 million at maximum.

Different cap ceiling for most of that deal, so that is a factor. Not super high on Letang, especially because his price will be astronomical. But should Letang wait all the way in to free agency we should throw him an offer. But both Letang and Yandle I cannot honestly say I want to pay the price on in terms of trade because of the holes in their game. Would rather pursue a Del Zotto for a 1/4 the cost if that is what we are looking for.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
i wouldnt trade for letang, he is too one dimensional for the money he wants

if a dman wants 7 plus million he best be as good as weber, chara and suter otherwise take a hike

He's injury prone too.

But when you look at the last 2 seasons...

Erik Karlsson - 6.5 mil per season. 98 GP 91 points
Kris Letang - ???? 86 GP 80 points.

Plus if you factor in that he'll be a UFA, you can kind of see why the 7 mil figure is being thrown around. I don't think he's worth anything north of 5.75 per personally, but you have to pay on the FA market. And if it the difference is paying him an extra mil or 2 per season, or not having him at all, most teams will give him the money.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Letang = Rafalski. 6.0-6.5 million at maximum.

Pretty much this. As great as the offense, and ideally the PP, would be to have both Letang and Kronwall on the blueline, you're also trusting those 2 very shaky defenders with major TOI. I think we'd see a fair amount of Isles/Pens series scores.

I think he's Rafalski-esque in his lack of D, but would likely get $7M on the UFA market. I think Shero's smart to shop him now instead of losing him as a FA after next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Letang would be a massive improvement on our blueline. He's young, he gives you 20+ minutes a night playing in all situations, produces points in the regular season and playoffs, and is consistently a positive +/-. In this market, he's worth $7m pretty easily.

Different cap ceiling for most of that deal, so that is a factor. Not super high on Letang, especially because his price will be astronomical. But should Letang wait all the way in to free agency we should throw him an offer. But both Letang and Yandle I cannot honestly say I want to pay the price on in terms of trade because of the holes in their game. Would rather pursue a Del Zotto for a 1/4 the cost if that is what we are looking for.

Del Zotto won't be a 1/4 of the cost for long, and NYR has no reason to move him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He's injury prone too.

Plus if you factor in that he'll be a UFA, you can kind of see why the 7 mil figure is being thrown around. I don't think he's worth anything north of 5.75 per personally, but you have to pay on the FA market. And if it the difference is paying him an extra mil or 2 per season, or not having him at all, most teams will give him the money.

for sure, too me though letang isnt a player you throw 2 plus extra million on

some other team can go right on ahead

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
for sure, too me though letang isnt a player you throw 2 plus extra million on

some other team can go right on ahead

Well the Wings do something the Pens are pretty much against, it is called backchecking and having a defensive system in place.

Letang is worth 7 million plus easily on the open market. Have no problem pursuing him there. I just am not throwing away Sproul, Tatar, a roster player and a first to pay him that. Actually don't like Yandle really at all Letang is better than him defensively. A lot of people are hating on the Boston series, but he was logging 25+ minutes a night and scoring was the big problem. I know he is a big part of the scoring there, but the Pens got bounced in part because Crosby and Malkin went totally MIA. To pin that whole thing on Letang is completely unfair. He does play big matchups and is a number 1, something Yandle is not, but the price on both is just too steep for me.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
what would be a reasonable trade for letang? filppula, prospect or two and a draft pick? not going into any real specifics because letang is hard to gauge for me. great offensive upside but i'm not sure how he would fit in detroit

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Who cares about Letang, the guy can't play defense and is a total stick-hacking punk IMO.

Scuderi or Yanlde would be better for us, for cheaper.

Z-Pav-Franzen
Nyquist-Weiss-Brunner/Tatar
Helm-Abby-Brunner/Tatar
Andersson-Miller-Tootoo

^^Chalk it up boys.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
what would be a reasonable trade for letang? filppula, prospect or two and a draft pick? not going into any real specifics because letang is hard to gauge for me. great offensive upside but i'm not sure how he would fit in detroit

I would say that if Filppula had a long term deal at affordable cap hit, he'd be a good trading chip.... even if it were just a 3 year deal or something. But, Filppula in his current position is a terrible trading chip, worth maybe a mid-round draft pick.

Letang would be a huge upgrade to Detroit's roster. He'd be the best defenseman on the roster, and he'd get a ton of ice time. If Holland had the opportunity to pick up Letang, I'd say go for it. He's the type of player you move Sproul, Oullet, etc. for. Even Smith would be a guy to move for Letang. Letang is 26, and if Detroit can get him long term, that would be a huge relief for the roster.

I don't know what I'd offer, but odds are Pittsburgh is going to want 2 NHL ready prospects, maybe even an established NHLer in a package... maybe they will try to move Letang for a player of similar caliber to him, who knows.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Filppula is a pending UFA, so he is worth next to nothing. We could maybe get a 4th for his neg rights. But Pittsburgh has zero interest in those.

I'm guessing.

Quincey + Young top tier NHL ready forward prospect (Tatar, Nyquist or Jarnkrock) + #18.

Keep in mind Pittsburgh lost their first rounder this year and would probably like to replace that. They also have three stud prospects on D in Harrington, Maatta and Pouliot that are at the same stage of development that Sproul, XO and Backman are at.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
ORRRR if they get Horton or Clarkson

Franzen-Datsyuk-Horton/Clarkson
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner
Abby-Helm-Tatar
Tootoo-Andersson-Miller

OR

Horton/Clarkson-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner
Abby-Helm-Tatar
Tootoo-Andersson-Miller

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
They can afford Filppula at that price, they just aren't going to give it to him. That is a big difference, we all know with Capgeek we are giving Horton that kind of money no problem.

I agree that the Wings have enough money to pay Filppula, but both the Wings and just about everyone on this board know Filppula is not worth that kind of money ... and a 7-year deal? Are you kidding me?!!!

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I agree that the Wings have enough money to pay Filppula, but both the Wings and just about everyone on this board know Filppula is not worth that kind of money ... and a 7-year deal? Are you kidding me?!!!

Well it actually says he wants 8 years from Detroit. 7 from an outside org... UGLY.

I really hope Weiss is the alternative.
Always liked him. I think he'll be out for a big bounce back, after a poor season. Is very solid at Centre, so Babs can be more comfortable with the second line when he wants to play Pavel and Henrik together. Also think Weiss is a better two way player and a little faster than Flip.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's injury prone too.

I know Karlsson is closer to Letang game-wise, but it's Suter and Weber his camp will be pointing at money-wise because they were about to/did hit UFA when they signed their deals. Karlsson will probably be able to sign another big deal in his career, while this is Letang's only.

Since he can only sign a 7/8 year deal the cap hit will be big. Suter's contract pays him $10M per the first 7 years. Weber's contract pays him $12M per the first 7 years. That won't be possible for Letang obviously but I'm still thinking $55M, 7 years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Filppula is a pending UFA, so he is worth next to nothing. We could maybe get a 4th for his neg rights. But Pittsburgh has zero interest in those.

I'm guessing.

Quincey + Young top tier NHL ready forward prospect (Tatar, Nyquist or Jarnkrock) + #18.

Keep in mind Pittsburgh lost their first rounder this year and would probably like to replace that. They also have three stud prospects on D in Harrington, Maatta and Pouliot that are at the same stage of development that Sproul, XO and Backman are at.

I think we could go a bit cheaper with the forward prospect, either someone a step below in ceiling (Sheehan), or a bit further out development wise (Athanaisu, Frk). I don't think you're far off, though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I know Karlsson is closer to Letang game-wise, but it's Suter and Weber his camp will be pointing at money-wise because they were about to/did hit UFA when they signed their deals. Karlsson will probably be able to sign another big deal in his career, while this is Letang's only.

Since he can only sign a 7/8 year deal the cap hit will be big. Suter'sy contract pays him $10M per the first 7 years. Weber's contract pays him $12M per the first 7 years. That won't be possible for Letang obviously but I'm still thinking $55M, 7 years.

Thank god I'm not Ray Shero. Pens are really going to feel what cap hell means.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Since he can only sign a 7/8 year deal the cap hit will be big. Suter's contract pays him $10M per the first 7 years. Weber's contract pays him $12M per the first 7 years. That won't be possible for Letang obviously but I'm still thinking $55M, 7 years.

7/$55m looks like a lot, but Letang's a guy you can put out there for 20+ minutes a night, and you're getting him for the prime of his career. That said, I'm not sure we give him more per year than we're giving Z or D.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Thank god I'm not Ray Shero. Pens are really going to feel what cap hell means.

Hence why getting a boatload of cheap young talent and trading themselves out from under a potential Letang pay day might make sense.

Imagine if he held on to Jordan Staal and his 6M cap hit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad