News Article: [TSN]:SENS remain in the mix for Duchene

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Should I be getting the impression here that Borosaurus thinks Ceci's value is approximately the same as Duchene?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm just not seeing the value for Duchene on the Sens. I get that some remember him playing for team Canada but he's not elite or special at all. Would he improve the team?.. of course but at what present and future cost?

An elite player is worth a good young player, a good prospect and a high pick. Duchene is not worth that now. His worth as a tier below that is something like Claesson, a first and a second. Why would the Sens or any other team feel the need to offer more at this time?

I think some folks can't see past that career high season going on 4 years ago where Duchene was almost a PPG player, and think that's the guy we'd be getting. They aren't seeing the 41-59 point guy he has been over the last 3 years.

And while Duchene doesn't have a NTC, he is 2 seasons away from UFA....the odds of losing him in 2 years is real.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
if and when it happens, i'm afraid that PD is gonna overpay for this slight upgrade over turris.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
if and when it happens, i'm afraid that PD is gonna overpay for this slight upgrade over turris.

For all we know Duchene could develop unreal chemistry with someone on the team and turn out to be significant upgrade.

The whole thing is ludicrous: Duchene is a very high skill center, something we lack (and I really like Brassard and Turris a lot).

Not at any price but adding him to the roster could be huge.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think some folks can't see past that career high season going on 4 years ago where Duchene was almost a PPG player, and think that's the guy we'd be getting. They aren't seeing the 41-59 point guy he has been over the last 3 years.

And while Duchene doesn't have a NTC, he is 2 seasons away from UFA....the odds of losing him in 2 years is real.

One 41 points season last year because the whole team was horrendous is what you're using to rate the guy. He's played well when the team around him was good. He's not an elite guy who'll produce no matter the surroundings, but he can elevate his game to the level of the players around him. If he were to play within a good system with guys like Stone and Hoffman, I'm sure he'd be a lot closer to 60 points than 41.

Duchene is 27. He's not past his prime by any means. Those PPG seasons are still within his reach.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I don't see why all the Duchene talk still. We have two solid centres with two more on the way. We just lost Mac. Winger makes more sense. Get Landeskog.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

And if now though it's not a slight upgrade replacing turris. It's a slight upgrade joining turris.

And what if we lose out on duchene and turris leaves. Are ready for the brassard #1 C era. Obviously worst case scenario.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The problem isn't so much Brassard as the 1C. (although that obv isn't ideal) The problem would be Brassard as the 1C with any combination of Pageau, Thompson, and White as the next three centres.

A lot can happen in a year, maybe Pageau proves he can be a 50+ point two way beast, maybe White becomes Bergeron light, maybe Brown reveals he is Jason Spezza's long lost son, but GMs can't risk planning for the best case scenario.

If people can't read the writing on the wall at this point, I don't know what to say. Turris is clearly (most likely) on his way out, and we need Duchene or another 1C as a stop gap to stay competitive going into Erik Karlsson's contract year. If Turris' contract was 1 year longer, we may not even be having this conversation.

It's not about is Duchene better or worse than Turris or Brassard. It's about can we get someone to be our 1C in the increasingly likely event that we can't stomach the cost and commitment to keep Kyle Turris. Our priority doesn't appear to be upgrading, we're getting out in front of a problem in our lineup a year early.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The problem isn't so much Brassard as the 1C. (although that obv isn't ideal) The problem would be Brassard as the 1C with any combination of Pageau, Thompson, and White as the next three centres.

A lot can happen in a year, maybe Pageau proves he can be a 50+ point two way beast, maybe White becomes Bergeron light, maybe Brown reveals he is Jason Spezza's long lost son, but GMs can't risk planning for the best case scenario.

If people can't read the writing on the wall at this point, I don't know what to say. Turris is clearly (most likely) on his way out, and we need Duchene or another 1C as a stop gap to stay competitive going into Erik Karlsson's contract year. If Turris' contract was 1 year longer, we may not even be having this conversation.

It's not about is Duchene better or worse than Turris or Brassard. It's about can we get someone to be our 1C in the increasingly likely event that we can't stomach the cost and commitment to keep Kyle Turris. Our priority doesn't appear to be upgrading, we're getting out in front of a problem in our lineup a year early.

But....if we can't pay Turris, then we can't pay for any legit 1C. Anyone we put into that spot on the roster will be making similar money.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Why do you say the writing is on the wall and Turris is on his way out?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Was that a bathroom wall you read that on? :) The only writing that seems to be on the wall to me is that Sakic will get closer to the Spez return than the Ryan return.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Based strictly on dollars, I don't think Dorion is looking at keeping both Duchene and Turris long term. I'm willing to bet that the Sens are taking tons of calls from other teams than Colorado trying to pry Turris from Ottawa with similar dump offs like they got for Spezza. His agent knows Turris will get the bucks elsewhere. The question for the Sens is how much is he asking, what is the return if they trade him and what would it cost asset wise to get Duchene and then financially to keep him. We could be talking about a possible near complete shakeup of the team when you count the departures and arrivals. I'm not sure the fan base is up for it should Dorion pull the trigger.

Personally I'd keep the best young centre(s) here to develop in the NHL and sit on the Turris deal for a while. The AHL and Juniors will still be there later in the season.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Was that a bathroom wall you read that on? :) The only writing that seems to be on the wall to me is that Sakic will get closer to the Spez return than the Ryan return.

Well there's no doubt that if he keeps holding out for higher return that he'll get ****ed over. Problem is the Sens seem to want him sooner than later.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
But....if we can't pay Turris, then we can't pay for any legit 1C. Anyone we put into that spot on the roster will be making similar money.

I think it's more an issue of Turris than paying a 1C. I know his numbers have been ok and that he is on a friendly deal but a 6 * 6 type deal makes me nervous. Fast forward 3 seasons and where are Brown and White?

Turris's numbers have been good. But if you ask yourself "are we going to get a guy better than that over 6 years?" to me the answer is I hope so

I think the team is delaying to see what we've got with Brown and White

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Duchesne as winger who can play Center. His speed is what we need. After seeing how Logan Brown is scoring I'm sure Sakic has taken notice.

Ott: Duchesne
Col: Brown, Dzingel, 2nd round pick

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like Duchesne as winger who can play Center. His speed is what we need. After seeing how Logan Brown is scoring I'm sure Sakic has taken notice.

Ott: Duchesne
Col: Brown, Dzingel, 2nd round pick
No way man. Come on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->