tsn says wings have interest in ufa ben hutton

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Yeah, Hanzal like I said goes on LTIR as well, I like Honka as well, I don't think we end up getting much more than that for Green and I would much prefer to get a deal like this done and dusted now and remove the possibility of Green getting injured part way through the season.

An alternative is to hang someone like Frans Nielsen out there instead, they get from him what they probably want from Hanzal, albeit for a little bit more money but we can hold on to some of that and they have him for another couple years beyond this one. Also we get the benefit of opening up a roster spot for another forward.
Green has a full NTC until February 1, 2020.
In February it becomes modified, list of 10 no trade teams.

Mike Green - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

jraj

Dec 2, 2018
Please no. Eats cap space for something the team already has.
I agree the Wings don't really need him, but why worry about the cap space? Wings are more than $4 mil under the cap and have the option of adding Zetterberg and Franzen to LTIR if needed to open up some more space.

I'm more worried about the log jam at defense than the cap number. That will be better next year too, though, as Green, Daley and Ericsson have their contracts expire.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree the Wings don't really need him, but why worry about the cap space? Wings are more than $4 mil under the cap and have the option of adding Zetterberg and Franzen to LTIR if needed to open up some more space.

I'm more worried about the log jam at defense than the cap number. That will be better next year too, though, as Green, Daley and Ericsson have their contracts expire.

Because there is literally no point to adding Ben Hutton. If we were to do something like this... we should be acquiring an asset from another team. Either a pick for an overpaid player (who is better than Ben Hutton) or to facilitate a package in that the other team wouldn't have to take as much salary back for a bigger upgrade.

Ben Hutton is a luxury kind of like getting a Door Dash delivery from the McDonalds next door. It's completely unnecessary and a waste of money.
Want Hutton? Don't sign Nemeth.

But even so, I'm not at all worried about the "log-jam". It's a jam of a bunch of not good options. The Wings have Hronek, Cholo, Seider, and DDK who look like locks to be here. The Wings have a "log jam" of defensemen like literally every team in the NHL does. Right this second, without losing a beat, the Wings could cut Joe Hicketts and Vili Saarijarvi and nobody would miss them. Just like outside of the lunatic fringe about it, nobody actually misses Xaiver Ouellet and Alexey Marchenko here. Sure, it sucked that XO flamed out and that Marchenko was probably the best D we had of that crop that came through starting in 2011, but they're all less than footnotes in the history of the team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sorry but I just don't see the "Ben"efit

Why sign mediocrity when we already have a pool of mediocrity to choose from. Is this like Green Injury or trade insurance or something?

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
But even so, I'm not at all worried about the "log-jam". It's a jam of a bunch of not good options. The Wings have Hronek, Cholo, Seider, and DDK who look like locks to be here. The Wings have a "log jam" of defensemen like literally every team in the NHL does. Right this second, without losing a beat, the Wings could cut Joe Hicketts and Vili Saarijarvi and nobody would miss them. Just like outside of the lunatic fringe about it, nobody actually misses Xaiver Ouellet and Alexey Marchenko here. Sure, it sucked that XO flamed out and that Marchenko was probably the best D we had of that crop that came through starting in 2011, but they're all less than footnotes in the history of the team.

I miss Marchenko.

:(

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I miss Marchenko.

:(

That was a bit harsh on my side. Marchenko was a good defenseman. Such a shame that they went with Sproul over him essentially and then shipped out Sproul shortly afterwards too. He was basically the perfect bottom pairing D if the rest of your lineup was actually filled with guys who were up to the role they were given.

However, losing a good bottom pairing D isn't why a team is at the bottom of the standings. Many many NHL players would be good bottom pairing Ds.

So I do miss Marchenko in that he was seemingly a good guy and a decent hockey player (also, he wore the number I always wear), but he was almost literally the dictionary definition of a replaceable bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: Mlotek

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Well there should be a huge turnover on defence next off season and at the end of the day he’d be a free asset that’s young, healthy and cheap. With how bad the defence has been, replacing plugs with unknown plugs that are at least healthy won’t make the team worse and could potentially pay off in a bigger way. This is where the new scouting team can show me they are better than the previous

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
As long as the contract is both reasonable in cost but more importantly term. Any signing like this needs to be a 'prove it' style deal. I still really don't see the need

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

I'd like the team to keep cap space open for beneficial trades.

If the team is taking on a mediocre player, I'd like them to be paid for it.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That was a bit harsh on my side. Marchenko was a good defenseman. Such a shame that they went with Sproul over him essentially and then shipped out Sproul shortly afterwards too. He was basically the perfect bottom pairing D if the rest of your lineup was actually filled with guys who were up to the role they were given.

However, losing a good bottom pairing D isn't why a team is at the bottom of the standings. Many many NHL players would be good bottom pairing Ds.

So I do miss Marchenko in that he was seemingly a good guy and a decent hockey player (also, he wore the number I always wear), but he was almost literally the dictionary definition of a replaceable bottom pairing guy.

Losing a cheap bottom pairing D doesn't put you in the bottom of the standings.
Losing a cheap bottom pairing D while paying your bottom pairing $7.5M does explain why you have a high cap while finishing last.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Losing a cheap bottom pairing D doesn't put you in the bottom of the standings.
Losing a cheap bottom pairing D while paying your bottom pairing $7.5M does explain why you have a high cap while finishing last.

Meh, cap space is only important if you are going to be competitive. With or without the plugs in our line up, we aren't sniffing a playoff spot. I'm sure Steve would love to have that extra cap space but in the grand scheme of things, most of the money is coming off the books just in time for our competitive window to open back up... Holland didn't do himself any favors by trying to extend the playoff streaks but I can't really blame him. He had to pick from the bottom of the barrel and over pay since no one wanted to come to an old arena, aging core and a team on the decline.. It didn't work out but he didn't leave the new management in that horrible of a spot. He redeemed himself over the last couple of years by embracing trades and a youth movement the proper way... By not throwing together an entire team of prospects but by slowly adding them into the line up.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->