tsn says wings have interest in ufa ben hutton

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If theyre looking at him there must be plans for another move/buy out/waive somoeone

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
He is a solid enough player. Just seems slightly baffling that we would add to the defense when we can arguably can make a case for us being at least 8 deep on the main roster. As Newfy suggests, there must be a plan to move 1 or two bodies out in order to accommodate him.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
with hutton theres a chance he becomes a long term peice as a bottom half guy because only 26 . plus this season means zilch if he doesnt pan out anyway . so why not waive say a dailey if can sign hutton . or trade dailey for a 7th to his choice of contender . im not sure of daileys worth just using a 7th to describe how wings might see this . its a no brainer to me to have the 26 year old on roster with a possible future here to daley whose past prime . but obviously it comes down to the cap hit

Christien

May 1, 2010
Didnt the just rank us dead last out of 31 teams on defense? I would be ok just to see a shakeup, maybe it means we lose some dead weight.
Yeah our defense sucks but Ben MF Hutton isn’t gonna dramatically shakeup our defense. At this point in time, what’s the point?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We don’t need Ben Hutton. For me to want to sign Ben Hutton, we would need to move out a couple D, likely a forward or two and a high pick or two and get a Zach Werenski type which opens up a need on the bottom pairing.

Since that will not happen, I do not want Ben Hutton

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How does a player get -22? That's actually worse than everyone on the Wings (though Cholo might have surpassed that if he didn't get sent down.) I know +/- is relative but the Wings suck worse than the Canucks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it could be just asset management.

Sign free asset, trade another Ericsson/Daley/Green for futures.

After few years, Hutton would be next in line to be traded when some kids are gonna take his spot.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Maybe Daley to Dallas would be a logical choice for a trade, be it for Honka or futures? Then sign Hutton, if he's in their plans.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
This team doesn't need more UFAs...we have enough players to fill the roster. The only way I see the team signing another d-man is if Green is going to miss time due to his liver again, in which case I think he is done.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Honka is asking for a trade in Dallas:

https://www.tsn.ca/dallas-stars-gm-nill-rfa-julius-honka-has-requested-trade-1.1364954

If we're going to roll the dice on a smaller move for a defenseman, I'd sooner go the route of a guy with a higher ceiling (even if the odds are low).

Ooooo this is interesting. I wonder how we could possibly make it work ?

We send:

Mike Green with 50% retained salary.

Dallas sends:

Honka
Martin Hanzal (keeps the salaries right and they gain some in cap space back without having to have dead money in the organisation with him on LTIR)

Haznzal expires at the end of the year and if he is going to be put on LTIR anyway then it wouldn't be an issue for him to waive his NTC

(I love playing dumbass head in the cloud fantasy trade time)

Probably then looking at:

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Honka
Cholowski - Bowey

Seider to come in next year or towards the end of this one, couldn't hurt, if it pays off and Seider and Honka develop then we have the right side of our defense locked down for a long time with some to spare in the AHL also.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think it could be just asset management.

Sign free asset, trade another Ericsson/Daley/Green for futures.

After few years, Hutton would be next in line to be traded when some kids are gonna take his spot.
Given Stevie's MO, I assume Hutton would be offered 2 yrs at most, and that he'd carry Daley and BigE as spares. I don't like it because it means Cholo won't see any ice time unless a whole bunch of players get injured.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ooooo this is interesting. I wonder how we could possibly make it work ?

We send:

Mike Green with 50% retained salary.

Dallas sends:

Honka
Martin Hanzal (keeps the salaries right and they gain some in cap space back without having to have dead money in the organisation with him on LTIR)

Haznzal expires at the end of the year and if he is going to be put on LTIR anyway then it wouldn't be an issue for him to waive his NTC

(I love playing dumbass head in the cloud fantasy trade time)

Probably then looking at:

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Honka
Cholowski - Bowey

Seider to come in next year or towards the end of this one, couldn't hurt, if it pays off and Seider and Honka develop then we have the right side of our defense locked down for a long time with some to spare in the AHL also.
That trade is beyond horrible for us. Honka isn't a good prospect & Hanzal is done, nor has he played a full season since 2009-2010. In fact he hasn't played more than 65 games in any of the last 10 years, many of those with 30+gp! Re: LTIR, we still have Franzen & Z eating up all our LTIR.

Reactions: coatnoise

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
That trade is beyond horrible for us. Honka isn't a good prospect & Hanzal is done, nor has he played a full season since 2009-2010. In fact he hasn't played more than 65 games in any of the last 10 years, many of those with 30+gp! Re: LTIR, we still have Franzen & Z eating up all our LTIR.

Yeah, Hanzal like I said goes on LTIR as well, I like Honka as well, I don't think we end up getting much more than that for Green and I would much prefer to get a deal like this done and dusted now and remove the possibility of Green getting injured part way through the season.

An alternative is to hang someone like Frans Nielsen out there instead, they get from him what they probably want from Hanzal, albeit for a little bit more money but we can hold on to some of that and they have him for another couple years beyond this one. Also we get the benefit of opening up a roster spot for another forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad