TSN says "games will be played"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
Where do you get the thread title? I see it as "Owners, players still hope to save season"

not as games will be played.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
HockeyShack said:
Where do you get the thread title? I see it as "Owners, players still hope to save season"

Did you read this part of the article?

Representatives of both NHL owners and players have not given up hope of salvaging the NHL season and many are confident games will be played this spring, TSN has learned.

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
HockeyShack said:

Representatives of both NHL owners and players have not given up hope of salvaging the NHL season and many are confident games will be played this spring, TSN has learned.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
HockeyShack said:

While it is perhaps a little on the optimistic side, the following line is where I got the title from:

"many are confident games will be played " .

So, it is a DIRECT quote, taken mildly out of context.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not that it probably metters to anyone, but can you imagine the PR hit the league and PA would take if the season was un-canceled? What a laughstock they'd become across the continent. (Ahem ... "moreso.") You can hear the commentary now:

"Forget ratings, second rate TV contracts, a declining product, and the fact that few people care if the league is not playing, the NHL can't even cancel a season right!!!! :joker:

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Egil said:
So, it is a DIRECT quote, taken mildly out of context.

Do you work in political advertising? It's a description of the attitudes of owner and player reps-not a statement of TSN's belief as you make it out to be. Second, without the qualifier of "many are confident" it utterly changes meaning.

Flyers Hockey

Feb 17, 2005
dedalus said:
Not that it probably metters to anyone, but can you imagine the PR hit the league and PA would take if the season was un-canceled? What a laughstock they'd become across the continent. (Ahem ... "moreso.") You can hear the commentary now:

"Forget ratings, second rate TV contracts, a declining product, and the fact that few people care if the league is not playing, the NHL can't even cancel a season right!!!! :joker:
I disagree. I think would get more attention than ever before and they would be applauded, especially the players for not giving up.

mbam99

Sep 3, 2003
Red Deer
Visit site
dedalus said:

I disagree. Not only has this cancelation gotten sports stations in the US talking, it also opens the door for the PA to save face.

mooseOAK*

dedalus said:

This does have a bit of Monty Python feel to it. The body is being carried out while saying "I'm not dead yet!".

Flyers Hockey

Feb 17, 2005
Unbiased Canadian said:
Many of you doubted me...I said there will still be a season.,....and I still say there will be, they'll be playing hockey march 1st boys.
You were certainly one of the few. There is still a long way to go, but it is looking a little more promising.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
Do you work in political advertising? It's a description of the attitudes of owner and player reps-not a statement of TSN's belief as you make it out to be. Second, without the qualifier of "many are confident" it utterly changes meaning.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student who thinks marketing is the tool of the devil.

TSN was stated as the source. I know for me (and for many others), it is THE source for stuff like this, to be trusted above all others.

Removing the qualifier does change the meaning, somewhat. However, read the top of the article, "many are confident" implies that sources on both sides are confident, and that, logically, we should have games.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
This does have a bit of Monty Python feel to it. The body is being carried out while saying "I'm not dead yet!".
LOL. Exactly!

And for all those who disagree, I'm sorry but Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, et al are going to have a field day if the season is un-canceled.

ResidentAlien*

Egil said:
I'm an Electrical Engineering student who thinks marketing is the tool of the devil.

TSN was stated as the source. I know for me (and for many others), it is THE source for stuff like this, to be trusted above all others.

Removing the qualifier does change the meaning, somewhat. However, read the top of the article, "many are confident" implies that sources on both sides are confident, and that, logically, we should have games.

sounds so romantic when you say it like that!
:joker:
This is looking good - no way on march 1 Unbiased- I say the 9th

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
This is worse than the 3-1 series lead the Flyers blew against the Devils a few years back...

Getting our hopes up, and then stabbing us in the heart....again.

All this talk of saving the season now is like twisting that dagger around a few times while inside...

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Toonces said:
This is worse than the 3-1 series lead the Flyers blew against the Devils a few years back...

Getting our hopes up, and then stabbing us in the heart....again.

All this talk of saving the season now is like twisting that dagger around a few times while inside...
Bad if you're a flyers fan. I've never laughed harder at philly chokejobs. It helped make the Super Bowl more fun for me

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
futurcorerock said:
Bad if you're a flyers fan. I've never laughed harder at philly chokejobs. It helped make the Super Bowl more fun for me

Well, I was refering to how I feel now. Take my analogy and insert the last time your team "choked" and you will understand what I'm thinking.

Also, I'm not a Football fan, so I really couldn't care less about the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->