TSN: Rob Shremp feature (u have to see this move)

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
That's great and all, but if 2 year old kids with crap in their diapers can do this, then why all of the hype from TSN??? From posters from other teams (some of which have no doubtedly have played hockey)??? It shows great puck skill, hand eye coordination, etc. If you could do that, then challenge Robbie at
the next intermission for the Oilers (the 17th in Winnipeg I believe) and get yourself on TSN for showing up Schremp!!! You can do it!!!

The hype from TSN is because we all love hockey and hockey news is slow. It was all about hotdog moves as someone else said.

Anyone who wants to know how to do it, just put your stick flat on the puck with lots of pressure, then slide the puck backwards and smoothly scoop it up. You should not be flipping the puck and all, its actually a very smooth motion. Next time you are on the ice, try it a few times. It's really not hard. It actually takes very little hand eye co-ordination.

If I were to challenge Schremp I would keep up with him doing all these gimmick moves that will get you nowhere...then he would proceed to stickhandle around me and put it top corner (the kind of skills that get you somewhere). I am just more impressed with things that you do in the game at game speed. No matter how much I try I cannot be as fast as Bure or stickhandle as well as Kovalev or pass as well as Thornton or shoot like MacInnis. But I can do the lacrosse moves as good at Schremp...That being said, Schremp is a great hockey player and will have lots of success. I just can't stand people falling all over a player and calling him a god for something that isn't that amazing. I would rather give credit for a good dangle or perfect shot....thats all I'm saying.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Geez - someone posts a couple of nice entertaining moves from a second intermission charity shoot out and people feel it necessary to point out that it doesn't mean he'll be a good NHL'er.

It was meant to entertain. Get a grip.

It was moderatley entertaining at best. Truth be told there are plenty of guys in Rec hockey who can do the same thing.
Its not pure skill,its novelty.
Its not legal.
Its high sticking. Its SHOULD be whistled down in a game because its ALSO trapping the puck on the blade of the stick... (as someone else mentioned) it is a lacrosse skill,not a hockey skill.
That said...the only way to stop it would be to charge out of the net and knock him on his a$$...(which would be a legal hit).
Any goaltender who lets a kid get away with a novelty like that needs to be given a bus ticket back to JR IMO.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
It was moderatley entertaining at best. Truth be told there are plenty of guys in Rec hockey who can do the same thing.
Its not legal.
Its high sticking. Its SHOULD be whistled down in a game because its ALSO trapping the puck on the blade of the stick...
(as someone else mentioned) it is a lacrosse skill,not a hockey skill.
That said...the only way to stop it would be to charge out of the net and knock him on his a$$...(which would be a legal hit).
Any goaltender who lets a kid get away with a novelty like that needs to be given a bus ticket back to JR IMO.

When he craddled it over his head, that is a high-stick and that is illegal.

This trapping the puck on your stick stuff is non-sense. You are not withholding the puck in a manner in which it cannot be played (i.e. holding it in your glove, or in your body).

If a player was on a breakaway and scooped the puck up with his stick, all you have to do is hit their stick, and the puck is gone. When he was twisting his stick around, it's physics and gravity that helps him keep control... you disrupt that even the littlest bit, and the puck is gone, so it's nothing like witholding the puck.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Its not legal.
Its high sticking. Its SHOULD be whistled down in a game because its ALSO trapping the puck on the blade of the stick... (as someone else mentioned) it is a lacrosse skill,not a hockey skill.

But can these supposed rec hockey guys who can do a move that's so easy, do it in front of thousands of people with the cameras rolling, and their bosses in the stands?

Bet the answer changes...

It's amusing to see people so bent out of shape about what he did...hell, Schremp himself said he would never dare pull that move off in a game or even a shootout with points on the line, so what's the problem?

Never in my life have I seen a 25th overall pick get fans so polarized. :biglaugh:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
yeah no way that would be called "trapping the puck" but it would be a high stick

again, people are getting all worked up over something that was posted because its fun to look at.... it was a fluff piece by TSN and nothing more, but people here take it sooooo seriously.... wow folks, lighten up some eh?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The hype from TSN is because we all love hockey and hockey news is slow. It was all about hotdog moves as someone else said.

Anyone who wants to know how to do it, just put your stick flat on the puck with lots of pressure, then slide the puck backwards and smoothly scoop it up. You should not be flipping the puck and all, its actually a very smooth motion. Next time you are on the ice, try it a few times. It's really not hard. It actually takes very little hand eye co-ordination.

If I were to challenge Schremp I would keep up with him doing all these gimmick moves that will get you nowhere...then he would proceed to stickhandle around me and put it top corner (the kind of skills that get you somewhere). I am just more impressed with things that you do in the game at game speed. No matter how much I try I cannot be as fast as Bure or stickhandle as well as Kovalev or pass as well as Thornton or shoot like MacInnis. But I can do the lacrosse moves as good at Schremp...That being said, Schremp is a great hockey player and will have lots of success. I just can't stand people falling all over a player and calling him a god for something that isn't that amazing. I would rather give credit for a good dangle or perfect shot....thats all I'm saying.

Yah I can flip the puck on my stick to, but to cradle it like its a lacross ball is something different, and if you say you can do it like that then I'd like to see it, make a video and put it on youtube if your such a great player, getting the puck onto the stick isn't what I found impressive, it was how he cradled the puck in the air then tried to score by flinging it over his shoulders.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Rob Hisey can do tons of puck tricks and do you see him in the NHL? No. Yes, Schremp is skilled...but doing puck tricks doesnt get you far in the NHL.

No one said that this makes hi a sure fire NHLer. It just shows the kid has sick hands and lot of practice.

No, I just think you got front row seats at the Hater's Ball.

Hahaha, Hater's Ball, effin love it. Isn't it true though, every one has a hate on for Schremp except for oiler fans.

Marek Malik did a similar move, I suppose he's going to be an offensive dynamo pretty soon.

The move looked similar, but it is in no way comparable as Schremps was way more difficult to pull off.

he did once take a drink out of the opposing goalie's water bottle after a scrum in the crease though.

I loved that move, it was hilarious. Gets right under the goalies skin. I wonder how many he scored that game.

I don't think people are raggin on Schremp. I just think it's good to tell all you people that this move does not make him amazing. I can do it and I am a washed up Junior B player who plays in the Beer leagues now. Kids in Bantam and Midget can do it too. Anyone who is around alot of non-pro hockey knows it's not that big of a deal.

Now I will say, I wish Schremp was a prospect for my team for all the other things he can do in a real game.

This part makes your post more credible, but you have to admit his move was impressive and the kids doing it at 14 - 15 years old have sick skills too if they are pulling this off.

I'm just tired of hearing about him all the time, when someone makes a thread about Schremp they know the inevitable will happen, Marek Malik can do it, nobodys saying how amazing his hands are..

You wanna know what I'm tired of? People ragging on Schremp because he is amazingly talented. He has sick hands, he can shoot as good as anyone and he is a promising prospect. I am tired of people feeling bitter because their GM's passed up on him. I am tired of people that have never seen him play tell me (I have seen him play a number of times) that his skating is so bad he will never be a good NHLer and that his defensive game is so weak he can't play 5x5, people telling me that he is a puck hog even though he had 88 assists last season, not to mention he is an amazing passer and distributes the puck better then most NHLers right now. I am tired of people saying he is a problem child and has a terrible attitude. He was wearing an A in the rookie game because he is a leader and the team looks up to him, Mac T would not give it to him unless he earned. He has helped the non english players but slowly trying to explain the drills. He is the first on the ice and the last off the ice, he is a great guy to the fans. He has a winning attitude and he shows it on the ice. You wanna know what I am time of rallykiller? I am tired of the same old crap every week coming from posters every time Schremp does something to gain recognition people come up with reasons why he shouldn't. Let the kid play his game, hot dog, show boating or playing an entertaining style of game, whatever you wanna call it, I don't care but I am tired of all of the nay-sayers that have never watched him play trying to tell me he can't.

He was doing this in a charity shoot out. No during in a game, he knows that is high sticking and he knows he wouldn't do that in a game setting, he was having fun and giving us in attendance what we wanted to see.

But can these supposed rec hockey guys who can do a move that's so easy, do it in front of thousands of people with the cameras rolling, and their bosses in the stands?

Bet the answer changes...

It's amusing to see people so bent out of shape about what he did...hell, Schremp himself said he would never dare pull that move off in a game or even a shootout with points on the line, so what's the problem?

Never in my life have I seen a 25th overall pick get fans so polarized. :biglaugh:

That is for sure.

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I guess I'm easily entertained.

I've seen people in rec hockey cradle the puck and do some stuff with it - but I've never seen someone come in for so long with it/

you thought the goalie should have charged out during the second intermission shootout and knocked Schremp on his ***? Overreact much?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I guess I'm easily entertained.
I guess Lupul, Iginla, Bucky, Roli etc are all easily entertained as well.

Its pretty amazing how these NHL stars can be impressed, when every Dom, Nick and Barry in a rec league can do it. There must be a lot of untapped talent kicking around in these rec leagues. Amazing stuff.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
it will be interesting what the competition commitee will say about this - if they let it go it could be a whole - new thing - think of what could be done especially with a bigger curve in the blade - it would be like football or lacrosse -

i bet they ban it

Randall Graves*

I'm tired of people saying they are tired of a subject, and yet they keep coming back to a thread about that subject.

Hey, can you play that song for me again?
I'm tired of you being tired of this tired subject. Tired.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm tired of Schremp shooting pucks at opposing teams benches.

You gotta get this through your head, this thread isn't about Schremp as a player, or Schremp as it relates to him possibly playing in the NHL, its about show casing something which many people thought was entertaining (NHL players among them)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

Yeah, Malik should have been knocked on his *** after what he did! DSIGRACE TO THE NHL!

How bout the way to stop it would be to keep your eyes on the puck and hope your hand-eye-coordination is up to the task.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess Lupul, Iginla, Bucky, Roli etc are all easily entertained as well.

I got the sense they weren't very impressed, but were just being nice.

Lupul gave the biggest "player-speak" sphiel ever.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
The move is awesome... it would be awesome if I did it, it would be awesome if Rico Fata did it. Its an aweome move. Everybody just calm down and shut the **** up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->