TSN reports proposal was made today (2.9.05) by the NHL and PA rejected .

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Don't you think that Daly's PUBLIC announcement of the SECRET NHL proposal rejection by the NHLPA was designed to get it out to the players so that they might put pressure on their Reps and Goodenow to get off their ass and get a compromise agreement done before it's all over....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm going to post a theory, it may not make sense to some, but take a second to think about it...

Could it possibly be too late for the NHL to cancel it's season, I mean, with all the damage that's been done to the fans, and the game of hockey in general in the past few months, can either side really afford to sit out this year? and i'm not talking financially, but think about what fans here on this board have been going through, the ups and downs, this is something that's happening to hockey fans all over the world hoping that these two dirtbags come to an agreement, how after all this going back and forth, josseling (sp?) for position in the media, giving fans hope, than taking it away in a second, how can they come out and say, well after all this huge theater we've put you through, we've decided it's enough, the season's cancelled, see you next July?(i'll asume that this hasen't been lost on both parties yet)

Can't see that happening, and if it does, than I just realized that the NHL and it's players really and truely, don't care about it's fans, and takes us for granted, and I'd never watch another hockey game or my beloved Habs the same way again, i'd become just a wayword fan if you will, the kind that's all over the united states (no offense), and that's tough coming for me, cause if the NHL started up again tomorrow, i'd call in sick to work cause i'd be too exited...

That being said, i'm still confident, and i've never wavered, and never will until i'm told by Bettman otherwise

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Associated Press update:

{Source: Deal must be in place by weekend to save the hockey season}
{Eds: LEADS thruout to add background and edits to conform. Bettman} news conference scheduled for 6:30 EST.
{By IRA PODELL}=
{AP Sports Writer}=
NEW YORK (AP) — The NHL told the players’ association Wednesday that a deal must be made by this weekend to save the hockey season, a source close to the negotiations said.
The players’ association rejected what was described as a compromise proposal during a secret meeting Wednesday in Toronto, the source told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.
The sides agreed to continue talking through Thursday, but if an agreement is not reached in principle by this weekend then the league doesn’t believe games can be played this season.
A union spokesman did not immediately return phone calls Thursday.
The lockout reached its 147th day Wednesday and has forced the cancellation of 807 of the 1,230 regular-season games as well as this weekend’s scheduled All-Star game.
Bettman scheduled a news briefing for later Wednesday night.

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
handtrick said:
Don't you think that Daly's PUBLIC announcement of the SECRET NHL proposal rejection by the NHLPA was designed to get it out to the players so that they might put pressure on their Reps and Goodenow to get off their ass and get a compromise agreement done before it's all over....
I think that's a reach. Don't YOU think that maybe it was just to let people know something's at least happening? That's not so far-fetched, especially if little progress was made.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
417 TO MTL said:
I'm going to post a theory, it may not make sense to some, but take a second to think about it...

Could it possibly be too late for the NHL to cancel it's season, I mean, with all the damage that's been done to the fans, and the game of hockey in general in the past few months, can either side really afford to sit out this year? and i'm not talking financially, but think about what fans here on this board have been going through, the ups and downs, this is something that's happening to hockey fans all over the world hoping that these two dirtbags come to an agreement, how after all this going back and forth, josseling (sp?) for position in the media, giving fans hope, than taking it away in a second, how can they come out and say, well after all this huge theater we've put you through, we've decided it's enough, the season's cancelled, see you next July?(i'll asume that this hasen't been lost on both parties yet)

Can't see that happening, and if it does, than I just realized that the NHL and it's players really and truely, don't care about it's fans, and takes us for granted, and I'd never watch another hockey game or my beloved Habs the same way again, i'd become just a wayword fan if you will, the kind that's all over the united states (no offense), and that's tough coming for me, cause if the NHL started up again tomorrow, i'd call in sick to work cause i'd be too exited...

That being said, i'm still confident, and i've never wavered, and never will until i'm told by Bettman otherwise

I think the league believes the cult-like affection its fans have for the game will bring the vast majority of them back when it starts up, and believes that it will improve the game for a re-launch that will guarantee it.

I think the league also believes that if it loses a couple thousand fans per market, it will make up for the lost revenues with the pro-owner improvements in the new CBA.

All of which is to say that I've always believed the owners were fine with missing the whole season and I'm even more convinced now.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Maybe the NHLPA has established a drivethru window for NHL proposals, speeding up the rejection process.

Seriously, we are at the end game of these negotiations so either side doesn't care much about informing the fans & public about what is going on and not going on. Most stuff out in the media is deliberate (Gretzky liking a cap, Hull saying start next year etc.) and posturing. The best thing to do is just patiently wait a few days (with TV sweeps underway great quality programs can be watched like the SI Swimsuit Model Search, Jerry Springer Updates, and Extreme Total Doghouse Makeover). Then around this weekend you will either see a bunch of suits smiling, claiming they alone saved the game, or both sides will begin the heavy blaming of the other, with no responsibility accepted for the situation.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
417 TO MTL said:

I only pray that they care about us that much, they sure as hell claim they do. If they do care that much, then we will have hockey.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
From the same TSN.ca article...

Sources told TSN the NHL's Wednesday proposal was to begin play immediately using the NHLPA's Dec. 9 proposal until such time it became clear the proposal was not working, at which time the system would switch over to the NHL's proposal of Feb. 2.

That apparently was not well received by the NHLPA, which believed this compromise proposal from the league was just a way to get to the hard-cap economic system in place if not now, at some point in the near future.

Even more interesting....

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
waffledave said:

If true, isn't that essentially an admission by the PA that their proposal wouldn't work?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
Why should they start now? :dunno:

The same reason the NHL has started making moves, it's that time of the year.

Please don't tell me you've forgotten it was the NHLPA who had set up nearly every meeting so far in the (lack of) negotiations. I don't see the NHLPA sitting around and waiting for the NHL to make the offer they like, they're going to have to throw something in the form of a proposal out there to get what they want.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
waffledave said:

If the league was willing to play under the December 9 proposal and the PA turned it down, I don't see how anyone can be pro-PA.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
CarlRacki said:
If true, isn't that essentially an admission by the PA that their proposal wouldn't work?

You could take it that way, however everyone knows that the owners would have the power to make or not make the players proposal work, and therefore what is to stop them from making it not work?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know if they updated the article after this thread was started, but according to TSN the deal was to basically accept the NHL's proposal from back in December now and immediately begin play, and if/when it became clear that the system was not working, then switch systems to the last NHL proposal. So not really a new proposal, just a wierd sort of compromise.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
CarlRacki said:

Worse, it's an admission that they weren't willing to play under its terms, meaning the whole thing was a fraud.

The devil is in the details of the league's proposal today, though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
westcoast said:
The Owners are doing this also (note I am not pro-player). There was a recent quote about how the owners feel they are not just standing up for this strike, but the upcoming baseball strike. Who the hell cares about the goddamn baseball strike.

The NHL owners do not have baseball owners advising them . . . thank god, how in the world could baseball owners with a straight face advise anyone on how to fight a union? But I digress. It is in fact the NHLPA being advised by the MLBPA directly. I read that about a month ago, did anyone else?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LOL @ the PA...didn't you guarantee your proposal would work?

PA's not looking for a deal, they're looking to clean the owners out

likea

Jul 9, 2004
where are all the pro-NHLPA people

the NHL just proved the NHLPA's offer would not control anything by asking them to guarantee it.....and it it doesn't work then they would switch to the Feb. 2 proposal

haha...the players are going to be pissed about this....

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
deathbear said:
well it's official. if the proposed deal is what we're hearing, i'm ****ing pissed at the players.

Bettman's probably having the press conference to point out that the league was willing to play under the Dec 9 offer.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
GregStack said:
You could take it that way, however everyone knows that the owners would have the power to make or not make the players proposal work, and therefore what is to stop them from making it not work?

That's a tough question to answer since we're not privy to the details about what kind of mechanism would exist to make the changeover.

Regardless, the players have said repeatedly they believe their Dec. 9 proposal would solve the league's financial issues. If they truly believed that, it would seem they would jump at this opportunity to prove it. Also, if the proposal works as the PA insists, why would the owners want to sabotage a system that works?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can someone fire these people? Please? Bettman and Goodenow do nothing for this process. We were getting further with Daly and Saskin...2 people who I actually believe have some sort of brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad