TSN reports proposal was made today (2.9.05) by the NHL and PA rejected .

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114287

Not only did the NHL make a new proposal to the NHL Players' Association today, it has already been rejected.

TSN has learned the NHL and NHL Players' Association met today in Toronto. Sources say the league presented a new proposal to the NHLPA, but it was apparently turned down.

That, however, does not preclude the possibility of the two sides meeting again tonight or tomorrow.

Sources say the league told the NHLPA that if they aren't close to an agreement by the weekend, the season will be cancelled.

More to follow.

:shakehead

Update:

Sources told TSN the NHL's Wednesday proposal was to begin play immediately using the NHLPA's Dec. 9 proposal until such time it became clear the proposal was not working, at which time the system would switch over to the NHL's proposal of Feb. 2.

That apparently was not well received by the NHLPA, which believed this compromise proposal from the league was just a way to get to the hard-cap economic system in place if not now, at some point in the near future.

Very interesting...

Last edited:

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
wow, didnt see that coming. Wonder what it was, and why it was so quickly turned down.

Im assuming it was at least somewhat closer to PA side than last week's, if not, then why bother. Maybe it used the word "linkage", the players saw that, and said NOPE.

a little bit of :dunno: , a lot more :banghead:

the hits just keep on coming

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
At least the NHL is trying..

Goodenow has to get off his fat ass.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Interesting, however it shows that they've tried to move out of the media's view a bit...let's hope a counter proposal comes now.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
WhalerBoy said:
wow, didnt see that coming. Wonder what it was, and why it was so quickly turned down.

Im assuming it was at least somewhat closer to PA side than last week's, if not, then why bother. Maybe it used the word "linkage", the players saw that, and said NOPE.

Probably didn't change much, if at all, if it took them one meeting to kaibosh it. This is getting ridiculous. I'm really not sure who is dumber, the players or the owners..... :shakehead

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
19bruins19 said:

It was turned down because despite all the leaks and trial balloons the PA is sticking firm to its utterly preposterous and indefensible anti-cap stance.

F em.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Greschner4 said:
It was turned down because despite all the leaks and trial balloons the PA is sticking firm to its utterly preposterous and indefensible anti-cap stance.

F em.

Yah I get the no linkage argument, but what the heck, take a cap.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Probably didn't change much, if at all, if it took them one meeting to kaibosh it. This is getting ridiculous. I'm really not sure who is dumber, the players or the owners..... :shakehead

players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This just goes to prove that it dosen't take TSN or Sportsnet to report a meeting for their to be talks or proposals drafted...there's so many behind the scenes things going on...

Now it wasn't like the PA was going to accept whatever proposal the NHL was going to put forth, if it was that easy, we wouldn't be in this situation, there's still some time left, they'll continue negotiating up until the 11th hour, we haven't reached that point yet, and to expect a deal before that, is being unreasonable...

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:

Players. Taking marching orders from a guy who's fighting other PA's battles instead of just his own.

gobuds

Mar 2, 2004
torontosportsmedia.com
Greschner4 said:
DDD at 6:30.

Season's over.

A big problem, mentioned but not enough ... the NHL is caught up in the impending labor problems of the other leagues who see the NHL as a critical precedent.

Please tell me you are not suggesting as a certain blogger is that the other leagues are funding the NHL's lockout.....

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Greschner4 said:
Players. Taking marching orders from a guy who's fighting other PA's battles instead of just his own.

The Owners are doing this also (note I am not pro-player). There was a recent quote about how the owners feel they are not just standing up for this strike, but the upcoming baseball strike. Who the hell cares about the goddamn baseball strike.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
417 TO MTL said:
This just goes to prove that it dosen't take TSN or Sportsnet to report a meeting for their to be talks or proposals drafted...there's so many behind the scenes things going on...

Now it wasn't like the PA was going to accept whatever proposal the NHL was going to put forth, if it was that easy, we wouldn't be in this situation, there's still some time left, they'll continue negotiating up until the 11th hour, we haven't reached that point yet, and to expect a deal before that, is being unreasonable...

right on brother, stay strong, we're almost there!!! And then you and I can start an "I told you so!!" thread!

Crazy Lunatic

gobuds said:
Please tell me you are not suggesting as a certain blogger is that the other leagues are funding the NHL's lockout.....

I wouldn't find that hard to believe at all. Would you put it past the baseball union to do that? I sure as crap wouldn't. If the NHL gets any form of cap whatsoever, baseball players are screwed and they know it.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
gobuds said:

No, just that Goodenow's getting peer pressure from the "union" leaders in other sports. And he feels it.

He's fighting more than just his own PAs battle, of that I have little question.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Crazy Lunatic said:
I wouldn't find that hard to believe at all. Would you put it past the baseball union to do that? I sure as crap wouldn't. If the NHL gets any form of cap whatsoever, baseball players are screwed and they know it.

I wouldn't put it past them at all, and there would really be nothing unethical about it if they were.

It IS unethical for Goodenow to do anything other than what is in the best interest of his members ....

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
westcoast said:
The Owners are doing this also (note I am not pro-player). There was a recent quote about how the owners feel they are not just standing up for this strike, but the upcoming baseball strike. Who the hell cares about the goddamn baseball strike.

The owners represent themselves.

Goodenow represents other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad