TSN reporting possible proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
futurcorerock said:
exactly... they wont get bonuses if they produce poorly. Let the owners throw the money around.. only the stupid ones will pay extravagant bonuses

There's really no need for large bonuses in the NHL. They existed in the NFL long before the salary cap because it provided players with the only guaranteed money in their contracts. Since all NHL contracts will be totally guaranteed, large bonuses will be unnecessary. And I doubt players will trade their guaranteed deals for large bonuses.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Wondercarrot said:
They should hold a "kick Healey in the balls" contest, im sure they could raise enough money to satisfy both sides.

Judging from Healy's face when he was on TSN as they were announcing the proposal, they should call it the "Kick Healy in the Groin" CBA deal.

It was pretty funny.

mackdogs*

futurcorerock said:
exactly... they wont get bonuses if they produce poorly. Let the owners throw the money around.. only the stupid ones will pay extravagant bonuses
The stupid ones are exactly what got us into the mess we are in now so no, I don't think that is a good idea. I don't see a need to cap individual players if there is a hard cap, no way the players agree to both.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
Wondercarrot said:
They should hold a "kick Healey in the balls" contest, im sure they could raise enough money to satisfy both sides.

This is my lockout quote of the year. I feel like kicking him in the balls every morning after his TSN nonsense segment.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
CarlRacki said:
You do realize that the vast majority of owners are independently wealthy and don't rely on hockey revenue to get by.
And the fact owners have taken their share of the money now doesn't mean they've needed and/or used that money. It only means they took it because they'd rather have it working for them rather than sitting in escrow with the league.
Also, if teams go under, that hurts the players (fewer jobs) as much, if not more, than the owners.
you support the owners knowing full well they don't care about you :lol

no kidding owners don't rely on hockey revenue to get by but they do have bills to pay and i doubt they want to sink into there own personal fortune pay them. I'm all for contraction and i'm all for getting out of markets that have proven to be duds. it would be a great thing if the nhl lost 8 teams.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
mackdogs said:
The stupid ones are exactly what got us into the mess we are in now so no, I don't think that is a good idea. I don't see a need to cap individual players if there is a hard cap, no way the players agree to both.

The stupid ones are the ones who sign mediocre players for extravagant amounts of money. What does this do? this makes a player coming in who says "i did so much more than player x, so i deserve more money than him" If you raise the foundation and precedence of contracts, this makes contracts after it based off of it

We've known this all along, and we dont have to name names to prove it. Let the owners throw cash around, cash they should be spending to reinforce their roster...

Plus, keep in mind... not all owners are doing this, there are plenty of repeat offenders to shoot a glare at.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Son of Steinbrenner said:

no kidding owners don't rely on hockey revenue to get by but they do have bills to pay and i doubt they want to sink into there own personal fortune pay them. I'm all for contraction and i'm all for getting out of markets that have proven to be duds. it would be a great thing if the nhl lost 8 teams.

I dont agree with the owners not caring about fan support.. but if that is true, what is to say players care about you?? And who cares which side cares about the fans, I'll still stick with the side that makes the most sense

And the owners are already sinking in their personal fortune into the NHL... they are losing less money with this lockout than they would be if a season had started!

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
chriss_co said:
I dont agree with the owners not caring about fan support.. but if that is true, what is to say players care about you?? And who cares which side cares about the fans, I'll still stick with the side that makes the most sense

And the owners are already sinking in their personal fortune into the NHL... they are losing less money with this lockout than they would be if a season had started!
please provde proof that teams are losing less money by not playing that playing. I simply don't believe it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Glenn Healy? :shakehead Nick Kypreos? :help:

These two jokers have rings from the Rangers ten years ago.They did absoultely nothing to earn those rings.Healy was Mike Richter's caretacker and Kypreos spent his time in New York banging Joan Lunden from Good Morning America fame

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Glenn Healy? :shakehead Nick Kypreos? :help:

These two jokers have rings from the Rangers ten years ago.They did absoultely nothing to earn those rings.Healy was Mike Richter's caretacker and Kypreos spent his time in New York banging Joan Lunden from Good Morning America fame
These two are absolute morons...I think Nick gets the nod for being a bigger moron, and Heals is right there behind him...They are both looking for jobs under Knob Goodenow...

Crows*

BLONG7 said:
These two are absolute morons...I think Nick gets the nod for being a bigger moron, and Heals is right there behind him...They are both looking for jobs under Knob Goodenow...

I can just imagine nick when the CBA is done.

"touches his ear, umm we have some breaking news here, the owners have folded"

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
i don't doubt that TSN reported this, but at the same time...how would TSN know? NO ONE even knows where or when this meeting is. I'm not getting down about this just yet.
Well, considering the NHL booked conference rooms yesterday in a hotel where they werent going to meet just to throw off the press, I wouldnt be suprised if different proposals are being leaked just to confuse the press.

I image the NHL wants the media to chase their tails around for a while so the two sides can try to get something done without being hassled.

mackdogs*

futurcorerock said:
The stupid ones are the ones who sign mediocre players for extravagant amounts of money. What does this do? this makes a player coming in who says "i did so much more than player x, so i deserve more money than him" If you raise the foundation and precedence of contracts, this makes contracts after it based off of it

We've known this all along, and we dont have to name names to prove it. Let the owners throw cash around, cash they should be spending to reinforce their roster...

Plus, keep in mind... not all owners are doing this, there are plenty of repeat offenders to shoot a glare at.
There are varying levels of stupidity for sure. Your example is more of a Marchant case, average player signing to a silly contract. My idea of stupid is more of Holik. Regardless, we can't get rid of an owner the way we can a coach which is why they need to very clearly define how much players can make and avoid the ridiculous signings. It will get rid of the Holiks, but not the Marchants.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004

I support neither side knowing neither side cares about me. I understand neither the hero-worship exhibited by some pro PA people nor the player hatred exhibited by people on the owners' side.
However, I am a realist and I believe the owners have the upper hand in this fight.

X0ssbar

BLONG7 said:

I used to think the same about these two. Then our local radio station here in Columbus had Healy on a few weeks back and I swear it was a different guy - he wasn't at all the pro-player character he plays on TSN. He was actually a good interview who didn't take a pro-player slant at all. They actually brought up that he may be an analyst for NBC if we ever get to that point.

These guys are clearly just playing the roles their respective employers want them to play. I must admit, they do a damn good job b/c like the rest of you, I just want to kick them in the balls sometimes..!

Wetcoaster

Blueshirts4me said:
If thats the case, the players won't accept it. Setting a maximum player salary seems almost like its against antitrust laws.
Pardon????

The point of having a CBA is that it trumps anti-trust law.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Top Shelf said:
I used to think the same about these two. Then our local radio station here in Columbus had Healy on a few weeks back and I swear it was a different guy - he wasn't at all the pro-player character he plays on TSN. He was actually a good interview who didn't take a pro-player slant at all. They actually brought up that he may be an analyst for NBC if we ever get to that point.

These guys are clearly just playing the roles their respective employers want them to play. I must admit, they do a damn good job b/c like the rest of you, I just want to kick them in the balls sometimes..!

A few weeks ago,Healy co-hosted with Gord Stellick on the Fan590 in Toronto and I broke my mouse listening to him.Some of the callers ripped into Healy..."Hey Heals,I hope the owners break the PA" was a common call

He was on ESPNEWS with Brian Burke a few days ago,Healy was his usually whiny self

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
BLONG7 said:

Nick must be suffering from PCS.He must be suffering from the beating he took from Ryan Vandenbusche

Wetcoaster

monster_bertuzzi said:
Thats why an NFL type deal would work. If these players are so greedy that they need millions of dollars, then they can get 10 million dollar signing bonuses just like they do in the NFL.
The reason for that is because the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts. The players can be cut at anytime and the rest of the contract is over.

Under the NFL cap you can sign a player to a 4 year 40 million contract, pay a bonus of $20 million leaving $5 million per year and the bonus is spread out over the term of the contract so that under the cap rules you have $10 million per year on the books rather that $25 million in year one. In effect the player has a $25 million guarnateed contract.

The problem is what is referrred to as dead cap space. If the guy is cut, injured, whatever, the remaining bonus then is taken fully into account for that year so you have lowered your cap room significantly. This has caught out a number of teams.

Sammy*

please provde proof that teams are losing less money by not playing that playing. I simply don't believe it.
No, you provide proof that they lose more money by not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->