TSN reporting possible proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Morrow said:
14 players are paid more than 6 million dollars.

On a side note, Does anyone remember a long time ago when Jeremy Roenick suggested this in one of his rants?

Article Link Here

Roenick offers up his own CBA plan

TSN.ca Staff

9/1/2004

Nobody has asked him, but Jeremy Roenick says he has a plan for ending the current stalemate in collective bargaining talks between the NHL and its Players Association.

Roenick tells the Philadelphia Inquirer that under his scheme, each team would be allowed to sign as many players as it chooses to a contract which would be capped at between $6-million and $7-million a season. A smaller cap would apply for players at the bottom end of the salary scale.

"One of the things we need is for every club to guarantee that it spend a certain amount of money to make it fair across the board for every team," Roenick tells the newspaper.

"The flip side of it is: We bring the minimum salary up for guys at the other end, plus set caps on what rookies can make, depending upon where they are drafted."

Roenick admits his idea does not have the backing of the NHLPA, which has made their position on any kind of "salary cap" quite clear throughout these negotiations.

NHL owners have demanded a salary cap of $31 million while the union has put forth proposals which include a luxury tax model and also offered to rollback salaries 5 percent while offering concessions on entry-level salaries of rookies.

"I think our union has made some good proposals to the league and shown that we recognize things have to be scaled back a bit," Roenick added.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and its players is set to expire on September 15.

Hockey_Nut99

Son of Steinbrenner said:
it would seem that way.

what i find amazing is that owners are going to run out of money soon and the lockout "warchest" isn't really 300 million dollars. teams can only take a 10 million (that means if pittsburgh needs 20 million they would be 10 million short) teams have already taken money out of the lockout fund and at some point teams are going to go under.

The PA have a warchest too. Just not as big. Why are you talking about the owners? The owners could go years and it wouldn't bother them. It would only hurt the players and the game.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
How many players in the NHL are honestly worth over $6 million? Could someone provide a list of the $6 million plus players? I would like to see it.

Thanks.
well the owners have all ready said that 14 of them are.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
well thats it I give up the 05 season is toast, probably the NHL as we knew it is toast Effing NHL, sure I have seen why their needs are to get the cost down, even if its unfair to the players but they just give the NHLPA alpo in a paper sack for offers. last week with that screwy waiver draft to help get everyone under the cap and now this.

NFL IS THE ONLY PRO SPORT THAT CAN WORK WITH A HARD CAP REVENUES ARE CLOSE TO EQUAL!

everyone else= soft cap/luxurey tax. leave it at that, ** bettman that for your 4th worst management skills comming in handy in the 11th hour..

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Hockey_Nut99 said:
The PA have a warchest too. Just not as big. Why are you talking about the owners? The owners could go years and it wouldn't bother them. It would only hurt the players and the game.
really?

you do realize that owners can only take out 10 million dollars of the lockout fund and teams have already taken money out. WE ARE ONLY A FEW MONTHS IN WHAT COULD BE A LONG LOCKOUT. Teams are going to go under if there isn't a deal and the players shouldn't have to be clean up a mess that was created by the owenrs. If this offer is indeed true its a slap in the fact to the players and the players should walk away and pray the owners take them to the NLRB.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
really?

you do realize that owners can only take out 10 million dollars of the lockout fund and teams have already taken money out. WE ARE ONLY A FEW MONTHS IN WHAT COULD BE A LONG LOCKOUT. Teams are going to go under if there isn't a deal and the players shouldn't have to be clean up a mess that was created by the owenrs. If this offer is indeed true its a slap in the fact to the players and the players should walk away and pray the owners take them to the NLRB.

Why would they go under? They don't have any expenses.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Blueshirts4me said:
If thats the case, the players won't accept it. Setting a maximum player salary seems almost like its against antitrust laws.

They do it in the NBA.
I don't think it can be against anti-trust laws if the players agree to it.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
has anyone else heard or seen this to confirm that it was actually on sportscenter or TSN???

PantherBlood6*

I wouldn't take this "rumor" as fact...even if it's TSN. Remember last time they reported about a supposed offer? They werent even remotley close (the 24% rollback and luxury tax the players offered)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Max salary doesn't mean a thing...owners can meander around it with signing bonuses and incentives and the like.

X0ssbar

Blueshirts4me said:
Sportsnet is now reporting as the deal being a softcap with a luxary tax, then a hardcap without a individual player cap.

Yep - the meat of the article off of sportsnet:

"While the new offer still contains some form of salary cap, sources told Sportsnet hockey analyst John Davidson the league is being more flexible by introducing the tax to a soft and hard cap system.

Sources said the proposal will include floor and ceiling numbers that will serve as a boundary for NHL teams to spend within -- the top side being the hard cap. A soft cap would be set somewhere in between the two and teams willing to go above that number (without exceeding the the hard cap) would have to pay a tax.

What appears to be a starting point for a new direction of negotiations, the offer should provide the NHL and its players' association with a system they can use to build towards a workable solution.

If a deal is agreed upon, the NHL will be looking at a 30-game season which will begin sometime around February 12-14. The games would be split equally as home and road contests and franchises would only play teams in their own conference."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050126_122859_2272

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
really?

You do realize that the vast majority of owners are independently wealthy and don't rely on hockey revenue to get by.
And the fact owners have taken their share of the money now doesn't mean they've needed and/or used that money. It only means they took it because they'd rather have it working for them rather than sitting in escrow with the league.
Also, if teams go under, that hurts the players (fewer jobs) as much, if not more, than the owners.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
Max salary doesn't mean a thing...owners can meander around it with signing bonuses and incentives and the like.

Thats why an NFL type deal would work. If these players are so greedy that they need millions of dollars, then they can get 10 million dollar signing bonuses just like they do in the NFL.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
really?

You mean that the teams that have already been losing money in the NHL are going to decide to leave now, when they know the players are eventually going to agree to a cba that will be much better than the last one? Or is it the teams that have never lost money that are going to suddenly decide to fold?

This lockout has been in the works for several years. The owners knew going into it that it may take a year or two to get resolved, and from all reports, they were unanimous in their decision to go into the lockout.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
Remember the "TSN proposal" from way back - I believe that is the first I saw of the "Individual Cap" at $6 million. I didn't think it would fly then and I sure don't think it'll fly now.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
monster_bertuzzi said:
Thats why an NFL type deal would work. If these players are so greedy that they need millions of dollars, then they can get 10 million dollar signing bonuses just like they do in the NFL.
exactly... they wont get bonuses if they produce poorly. Let the owners throw the money around.. only the stupid ones will pay extravagant bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->