TSN remains Canada’s #1 Specialty Network

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
One thing I find about SN is that the overall look beyond Tim and Sid looks really dated and not as polished. (Set design, graphics used, music, logos)

It's why I never tune in to their recap shows or anything really beyond the actual game, and than I still dislike the game presentation.

The guys calling the shots have no clue. Television is an unforgiving mistress. Rogers is feeling the effects of having accountants rather than creative artists calling the shots. They hired their buddies rather than people that can do the job. Give the viewers a reason to watch. it's all so simple.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I understand Rogers offered a ****load of money but I am sure Bell offered just as much. Not splitting the contract and giving Bell/TSN a national game package is one of the worst decisions made by Bettman. I, for one, tune way less to other games (not involving my teams) on Hockey Night in Canada than I used too because the broadcast is atrocious. Same thing on the French side, I unsubscribed from TVA Sports last winter because their channel is atrocious and their staff for NHL hockey is not remotely close to the Houde/Denis duo on RDS. I watch Saturday games in English and the rest on RDS (they kept regional rights).

TSN has always done a tremendous job while they had national broadcast and when Bettman re-upped the deal with NBC two years prior, he talked about the importance of staying with broadcasters who stuck with them so his decision to cut Bell loose is even more baffling.

Yes. That is covered in Dave Shoalt's book "Hockey Fight in Canada." The difference make was Rogers promised to expand carriage on other platforms - even ones not yet developed. And one other small thing, they sent their head people to talk to Bettman, Bell did not.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Yes. That is covered in Dave Shoalt's book "Hockey Fight in Canada." The difference make was Rogers promised to expand carriage on other platforms - even ones not yet developed. And one other small thing, they sent their head people to talk to Bettman, Bell did not.

What has really gotten my goat is how the first year there were 6-7 games every saturday night(some even involving -horrors!- non-Canadian-based teams.). Knowing it was Rogers, I should have known that would go away quickly.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There were many moving parts when the Canadian rights came up for renewal.

Bettman said that having an OTA component was critical in Canada yet 10 years earlier he gave the exclusive Francophone rights to RDS and shut out SRC which is the francophone component of the CBC.

Up until 2009 if you had a portable TV almost anywhere in Canada you got at least one channel (CBC/SRC) as there were relay transmitters everywhere.

Since the conversion to digital, those relay transmitters no longer exist.

Bell (TSN) was not willing to use CTV as part of the package and for good reason. CFTO-TV Channel 9 in Toronto is the most profitable local station not only in Canada but the US as well. They were willing to carry the SCF on CTV but otherwise, it would be TSN. Rogers first plan was to use CITY as their OTA station as they have OTA transmitters in most of the major population areas.

upload_2019-2-9_5-49-28.png

What sealed the deal was CBC offering their transmitters FREE OF CHARGE and Rogers said yes, Bell said no.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There were many moving parts when the Canadian rights came up for renewal.

Bettman said that having an OTA component was critical in Canada yet 10 years earlier he gave the exclusive Francophone rights to RDS and shut out SRC which is the francophone component of the CBC.

Up until 2009 if you had a portable TV almost anywhere in Canada you got at least one channel (CBC/SRC) as there were relay transmitters everywhere.

Since the conversion to digital, those relay transmitters no longer exist.

Bell (TSN) was not willing to use CTV as part of the package and for good reason. CFTO-TV Channel 9 in Toronto is the most profitable local station not only in Canada but the US as well. They were willing to carry the SCF on CTV but otherwise, it would be TSN. Rogers first plan was to use CITY as their OTA station as they have OTA transmitters in most of the major population areas.

View attachment 184617

What sealed the deal was CBC offering their transmitters FREE OF CHARGE and Rogers said yes, Bell said no.

Yes, Bettman basically said as much. Bell shot themselves in the foot just out of shear arrogance. Unfortunate.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
They did a workaround using matching clauses in their previous local deals for the Habs and probably other teams. If I'm running Sportsnet I be livid about that. As a customer were getting shafted with having to get two channel instead of one if we want all the games. Four if you have a bilingual household.

Well SportsNet had English Habs regional rights for 3 years until TSN got them back last season. They did match the French rights offer for RDS that TVA gave. TSN got the Sens rights on a long term deal after SNET had them previously. Leafs split hasn't changed. TSN and Jets signed a 10 year deal in 2011. So there was no "workaround" for any of the English TSN deals.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well SportsNet had English Habs regional rights for 3 years until TSN got them back last season. They did match the French rights offer for RDS that TVA gave. TSN got the Sens rights on a long term deal after SNET had them previously. Leafs split hasn't changed. TSN and Jets signed a 10 year deal in 2011. So there was no "workaround" for any of the English TSN deals.

Habs English rights are at the bottom of the pole as most anglo fans in Quebec prefer the RDS coverage. Sportsnet is now content on taking as many Bruins and Penguins games as they can and feeding then to Atlantic Canada. TSN and RDS share the same production truck for Sens and Habs regional coverage.

Bell after buying MTS now controls telecom in Manitoba and SNET is happy with the 2 Alberta teams and the Canucks.

Bell's biggest problem is no summer programming which is why they embrace the return of the Expos.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Habs English rights are at the bottom of the pole as most anglo fans in Quebec prefer the RDS coverage. Sportsnet is now content on taking as many Bruins and Penguins games as they can and feeding then to Atlantic Canada. TSN and RDS share the same production truck for Sens and Habs regional coverage.

Bell after buying MTS now controls telecom in Manitoba and SNET is happy with the 2 Alberta teams and the Canucks.

Bell's biggest problem is no summer programming which is why they embrace the return of the Expos.

CFL football is Bell's flagship summer product with 70+ games. That still definitely leaves some holes in their early to mid-week schedules.

A lot has probably changed, but the Expos for its last few seasons had little to no national games coverage due to awful ratings.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
TSN does everything better.

Wrong, TSN couldnt build an app to save the company. Its 2019 and they still dont know what a chromecast or 60 fps is. From a tchnology point of view Tsn is living in 2013.

The tsn website is terrible to, you need a device with an I5 just to check the scores.

TSN was once great but then the internet happened.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Wrong, TSN couldnt build an app to save the company. Its 2019 and they still dont know what a chromecast or 60 fps is. From a tchnology point of view Tsn is living in 2013.

The tsn website is terrible to, you need a device with an I5 just to check the scores.

TSN is as mediocre as everything related to Bell Canada, the worst company in the world.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

Ironically, their sister app, the CTV Go does have Chromecast support. I guess sport fans' voices aren't anywhere as loud as the female viewers.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Their people are just better than Sportsnet's. That's all it is for me. I can't sit through Sportsnet intermissions unless Friedman is talking, everyone else is insufferable. TSN getting the rights to Ottawa games has been incredible. We regularly have Duthie hosting intermissions and guys like McKenzie and Dreger giving updates. McLennan has been an awesome colour guy. It was also great watching Mike Johnson ripping into Eugene Melnyk the other night.

Watching national games sucks, especially as a Sens fan as it's obvious that no one on the network gives a shit about Ottawa.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Ultimately mediocre is better than most of what Sportsnet has presented in it's hockey coverage :laugh:

It's pretty bad when Caroline Cameron is the best thing about your hockey coverage. And I do not mean that as any kind of negative on her, just that you should be able to put something together where your host isn't the best thing you have.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Both TSN and Sportsnet have their good points and their bad points. I'm finding myself watching more TSN as of late though, that said I think Sportsnet gets way to much flak for their hockey coverage.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Both TSN and Sportsnet have their good points and their bad points. I'm finding myself watching more TSN as of late though, that said I think Sportsnet gets way to much flak for their hockey coverage.

I think there's been a big improvement since year 1. But man was that first year rough though. The puck wall made me want to never watch hockey again, let alone hockey night in Canada.

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
They also really mishandled the Strombo situation. Strombo is best one-on-one with a famous individual. I was excited to see him used to interview stars (and when he was used in that role, he was great) - Instead they had him host a worse version of Satellite hotstove.

I agree. I would have preferred that they took advantage of his skills and built the Wednesday program around him. I think it would have been interesting to see a hockey version of his 'The Hour' show.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I agree. I would have preferred that they took advantage of his skills and built the Wednesday program around him. I think it would have been interesting to see a hockey version of his 'The Hour' show.

His roundtables were top notch. If they wanted to replace After Hours (which they got rid of initially) with that, it would have been a good, gradual transition. I like seeing the players in a different light.

Putting him as host was a pure abomination however. It was a bad fit from the onset. Re-implementing MacLean has brought back a respectability and stabilizing factor to the panel.

Reactions: gee

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I agree that Sportsnet's graphics package is just bland and lifeless. The blue, the basic font - sure it's clean but it just reminds me of like late-era NHL 2K games. I really think they should refresh the whole look of the podcast.

More obviously, they should ditch Kypreos, McLean, and Hrudey. No one likes them, they've held on to their jobs on pure inertia. Get some likeable people for god's sakes! Marek should always be the host, no question about it. Friedman isn't nearly as likeable as McKenzie but he's a good insider. After that, f*** just find some likeable talent. I'd like to hang out and talk hockey with the TSN guys but the Sportsnet guys are insufferable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad