TSN Ranks Under-24 Core Four

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN released their rankings of each team's top 4 core players under the age of 24. The Bruins are ranked # 14 and TSN has Pastrnak, Carlo, Heinen and McAvoy as our top 4 core guys.

from tsn.ca:

Pastrnak, 20, is tied with Laine for second in the NHL in goals with 19, despite playing in eight fewer games. And without much fanfare, Carlo — also 20 — has jumped right in from the WHL to rip off 22 minutes a night.

Full rankings here: http://www.tsn.ca/ranking-the-nhl-s-u-24-core-four-1.637741

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Obviously I'm biased, but I would have thought we'd be higher than 14.

Are we overvaluing our young core?

I think Boston's young core is good. I don't think we overvalue it, 14 is about right, maybe up a few spots, but nowhere close to some of the groups at the top end. Most of the teams above have 4 current NHL players in their respective "Core 4", Boston only has 2 and on is a rookie this season in Carlo (although a very impressive rookie all the same). Boston strength should be in overall depth in prospects and under 24-year olds throughout the organization. Also worth noting guys like Krug and Spooner just missing the age cut of for TSN's list.

Personally, based on his AHL and NHL play, I'd put Vatrano in this "Core 4" over Heinen.

Also interesting that a D-man selected 13th in 2015 (Zboril) isn't on the list, but instead it's a D-man picked 14th in 2016 is (McAvoy), although I suspect it says more about McAvoy than it does Zboril.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
All of the teams ahead of Boston have at least 3 if not 4 all guys on their list already playing in the NHL, so I assume that accounts for the spot the B's were given.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Heinen and McAvoy? I'll give McAvoy the benefit of the doubt, and I'll definitely be laser-focused on him during the Beanpot. I wasn't super impressed with Heinen in Boston, but I guess I can't complain about a nearly PPG pace in the AHL?

I was about to say Accairi and Czarnik, but geez, I had no idea how old they were - 25 and 24, yeesh. Vatrano's the only one currently on the roster who qualifies, and he was hot and cold last year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Top 4 for Boston is interesting

There are 2 obvious and I guess Carlo makes a third but Boston strength per an NHL scout is depth they have a lot of prospects which makes sense when you add in 2015 draft and 2 firsts in 2016. Plus 3 2015 college FA playing in NHL.

I love Heinen but he's not sexy to voters and neither is Carlo

Let's see who develops but I'm very satisfied overall

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think its an unfair ranking till we see what McAvoy really is.I do agree though if Boston has a core 4 moving forward that these 4 could be them.I noticed Flames sitting 4th with Dougie Hamilton in there.hmmmmm

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I would swap TB and FLA.

I'd also flip flop WPG and BUF.

I think the Bruins are fairly ranked, although it would have been interesting to see what Vatrano might have done had he not hurt his foot and played the first half.

Also worth noting that Colin Miller missed the cut-off for this list by 1 day.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Everyone seems to agree that the Bruins strength is how deep the prospect pool is with few impact under 24 year old players, Pastrnak excluded.

If this is the case it's time to start packaging some of the good 3-6 D prospects and projected 2nd and 3rd line wing prospects for mpact or higher potential players.

Maybe an Arizona, Colorado or the Islanders may be ood places to start looking for Sweeney. I know it is easier said then done but most coaches lke having a top 6 and top 4 that can match up with any team vs a group that has 4 solid lines but no elite talent, that's how you wind up getting 50 shots on net a night but only scoring once or twice. Also a young goalie needs to be added, maybe it's McIntyre but I don't know if he is capable of replacing Rask in a few years. I take him now as a back up over Dobby and Subban.

Also I would put Senyshyn or DeBrusk before Heinen in the core 4

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All of the teams ahead of Boston have at least 3 if not 4 all guys on their list already playing in the NHL, so I assume that accounts for the spot the B's were given.

There are some loaded teams

Some have all single digit picks

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone seems to agree that the Bruins strength is how deep the prospect pool is with few impact under 24 year old players, Pastrnak excluded.

If this is the case it's time to start packaging some of the good 3-6 D prospects and projected 2nd and 3rd line wing prospects for mpact or higher potential players.

Maybe an Arizona, Colorado or the Islanders may be ood places to start looking for Sweeney. I know it is easier said then done but most coaches lke having a top 6 and top 4 that can match up with any team vs a group that has 4 solid lines but no elite talent, that's how you wind up getting 50 shots on net a night but only scoring once or twice. Also a young goalie needs to be added, maybe it's McIntyre but I don't know if he is capable of replacing Rask in a few years. I take him now as a back up over Dobby and Subban.

Also I would put Senyshyn or DeBrusk before Heinen in the core 4
I'm a Heinen guy but I thought same as you here or maybe Vatrano or JFK or even Zboril

Colin Miller seemed logical but he missed it by a day and McIntyre also is to old turning 24 in August

Heinen is signed but Bjork or Donato from same draft class are considerations

The 4th guy probably cost Boston a few spots

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Top 8 teams certainly have some great talent

After that it's probably a carp shoot who will finish where

I don't have envy. We had an 8 year run of playoff success... now we reloaded 2 years. Our young depth is very impressive considering we were picking late 20s most the time

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Obviously I'm biased, but I would have thought we'd be higher than 14.

Are we overvaluing our young core?

Would be different if they went past four players.
Bs strength of this next wave is depth. Only 1 impact kid so far, but there are solid prospects kicking around and well see ...

Broke my collarbone badly a few days ago. Wrist also but not as bad. My ability to one finger type with my left hand through a haze of drugs is making me feel sluggish.

catsmasher

Mar 8, 2012
Why is zboril never talked about? Was that pick a miss? Debrusk is struggling at providence. Senyshyn looks promising but looks like the return on Lucic and dougie has slready bombed out.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Top 8 teams certainly have some great talent

After that it's probably a carp shoot who will finish where

I don't have envy. We had an 8 year run of playoff success... now we reloaded 2 years. Our young depth is very impressive considering we were picking late 20s most the time

This is one thread I've printed and stuck in draw

I love watching baseball and hockey prospects especially on Boston and other than Seguin there wasn't one Bruins on that 2011 Cup team they drafted in top 50 lists I've seen- Lucic Bergeron Marchand Krejci

They are fun and I love them but Mookie Betts was a 5th round pick and not in BBA top 100 even after his first professional season

Boston I know and have been told by people who do this for a living strength is depth - they got so many good prospects just going by the numbers they are in great shape

I asked Glorydaze and 2 other friends who didn't know the 4th guy after Pastrnak Carlo and McAvoy and got 8 different guys giving them each 5 guesses and only one said Heinen

Heinen though is a very good 4th guy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why is zboril never talked about? Was that pick a miss? Debrusk is struggling at providence. Senyshyn looks promising but looks like the return on Lucic and dougie has slready bombed out.

Maybe Zboril has attention issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad