TSN: Players meeting to go late tonight and resume early tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130921

The NHLPA kicked off the day with a player rep meeting that ran from noon EDT to 5 p.m. EDT. The full players' meeting, with about 230 players on hand, got underway at about 6:20 p.m. EDT and was expected to go late into the night. The meeting resumes Thursday around 8:30 a.m. EDT before a ratification vote is finally taken at the end of the session. A news conference with Goodenow and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is scheduled for 5 p.m. EDT Thursday following the players' vote.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
PecaFan said:
230 players? That's it? What, something more important come up? :dunno:
A lot of the players are in Europe. Some didn't want to go. Yet others are going to vote yes (and vice versa) no matter what is in the CBA. 230 is a little low, but it's not unexpected.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
PecaFan said:
230 players? That's it? What, something more important come up? :dunno:

IMO the low turnout also shows the trust the players have in their team reps to do the heavy lifting and give everyone else the abridged version.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well judging from the interviews I saw with players at the meeting, I think I can confidently say they will vote yes. Everyone just seems really eager to get back on the ice and doing what they do best.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
i'm assuming that most of the 500 players who are following on the internet will vote yes

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
chiavsfan said:
Bold statement there, with 700+ members I would imagne that one or 2 would vote no...maybe even 1 or 2 hundred, but it wont be enough

To add to that, I think its much more likely people who came to Toronto in person will vote no than people following on the Internet-- most of the guys following on the Internet pretty much are like, yeah whatever, lets just play, while the guys who came to Toronto are the ones who really wanted to look at the deal.

chiavsfan

Juni said:
Well I was talking around 20% of all votes, really. Not just a handful.

I agree with you....

But again the number wont matter, as long as it's passed. And personally, I think the people that vote no shouldn't be allowed to play in the league...because they obviously (In their mind) would be better off somewhere else

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
JOHNBOY said:
It didnt seem like alot of players showed up...

Kypreos on Sportsnet even said last night that all the players in europe were offered plane tickets to come over...

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
I understand the guys in Europe not going. The plane ride is a killer for some of them (even if they were offered tickets), plus the jet lag. Especially if they already know how they are going to vote. I think most of those at the meeting want information and are sitting on the fence, but at the end of the day, I think a large percentage will vote yes. The Europeans also will be returning to NA in a couple of weeks anyway to start training, getting their kids in school, etc, so it a long, hard, unnceccessary trip considering that.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As much as it is nice to here deals from the hoses mouth there is a reason these guys elect team reps. The team reps have been briefed in detail and will relay the information to those that did not attend. Not a big deal that all of them didn't attend.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
tantalum said:
As much as it is nice to here deals from the hoses mouth there is a reason these guys elect team reps. The team reps have been briefed in detail and will relay the information to those that did not attend. Not a big deal that all of them didn't attend.

The info is never as reliable second hand. Another thing: If I was the PA, I would encourage ratification, but ask members to keep it really close. Something like 60/40. Reason being is to remind the owners that this deal is not what they were looking for and that next time around bargaining will have to be progressive rather than regressive.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
loudi94 said:
The info is never as reliable second hand. Another thing: If I was the PA, I would encourage ratification, but ask members to keep it really close. Something like 60/40. Reason being is to remind the owners that this deal is not what they were looking for and that next time around bargaining will have to be progressive rather than regressive.

I'd like to know how you'd do that without risking accidental disaster considering most the players aren't even there. Imagine if too many people voted "no"...

Anyways that sort of plan would require the NHLPA to be completely on the same page and 100% trusting of each other and they quite clearly aren't at the moment.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Crazy_Ike said:
I'd like to know how you'd do that without risking accidental disaster considering most the players aren't even there. Imagine if too many people voted "no"...

Anyways that sort of plan would require the NHLPA to be completely on the same page and 100% trusting of each other and they quite clearly aren't at the moment.

Agreed that they are not on the same page. Perhaps the best they can ask for is 25% voting no. I do feel it would be a huge mistake for the PA to ratify this deal at over 90% approval. It sends a message of utter defeat. Reluctantly accepting with many unhappy, would be a better strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad